News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Saucon Valley gets 2014 US Mid AM
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »
It just became official that the 2014 US Mid Am will be played at Saucon Valley's Old and Weyhill courses.

I am so happy that Weyhill was chosen as the second course, even though it might have been easier from a logistics standpoint to use the Old and Grace courses (since the same locker room and driving range could be used, and members could use the Weyhill course with its separate facilities.) I am obviously biased, but I think Old and Weyhill will be superb tests for these players. I took Joe Bausch to play both courses this year, so if any of you Philly guys have not seen the renovated Weyhill course, drop me a note. I have always felt this is one of the best parkland sites in the US and the changes made last year are fantastic.

And if any of the "sticks" on GCA actually qualify for the event, I'll definitely be happy to show you the courses!

SAUCON VALLEY COUNTRY CLUB SELECTED AS SITE OF 2014 U.S. MID-AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP
Far Hills, N.J. (Sept. 22) – Saucon Valley Country Club, in Bethlehem, Pa., has been selected by the United States Golf Association as the site of the 2014 U.S. Mid-Amateur Championship. The dates of the championship are Sept. 6-11.
Saucon Valley’s Old and Weyhill Courses will be used for the 2014 championship, with Weyhill hosting the match-play portion of the competition.
Herbert Strong designed the Old Course, which opened in 1921. William and David Gordon designed the Weyhill Course, which opened in 1968. Both courses have recently undergone restorations overseen by Fazio Golf, the Old in 2008 and the Weyhill in 2011. Saucon Valley’s historic facility boasts a third 18-hole layout, the Grace Course, as well as a six-hole practice course. The club is a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary.   
“Saucon Valley has been privileged to host six United States Golf Association championships,” said Saucon Valley Country Club President Andrew Warner. “We are delighted to have been selected to host the 34th U.S. Mid-Amateur. Saucon Valley’s relationship with the USGA dates back 60 years and has been mutually beneficial as our membership proudly offers its remarkable facility for the USGA to hold yet another exceptional national championship.”
The 2014 Mid-Amateur Championship will be the seventh USGA championship to be hosted by the club and its sixth different championship. The 2009 U.S. Women’s Open, won by Eun-Hee Ji with a birdie on the 72nd hole, was the most recent USGA championship at the club.
The 1951 U.S. Amateur (won by Billy Maxwell) was the first USGA championship at Saucon Valley, which is located in Pennsylvania’s Lehigh Valley. The other national championships at the club were: 1983 U.S. Junior Amateur (won by Tim Straub); 1987 USGA Senior Amateur (won by John Richardson); and the 1992 and 2000 U.S. Senior Opens (won by Larry Laoretti and Hale Irwin, respectively).
The club has also hosted a number of Pennsylvania Golf Association and Golf Association of Philadelphia championships.
About the USGA
The USGA conducts the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and U.S. Senior Open, as well as 10 national amateur championships, two state team championships and international matches. Together with The R&A, the USGA governs the game worldwide, jointly administering the Rules of Golf, Rules of Amateur Status, equipment standards and World Amateur Golf Rankings. The USGA’s working jurisdiction comprises the United States, its territories and Mexico.

The USGA is a global leader in the development and support of sustainable golf course management practices. It serves as a primary steward for the game’s history and funds an ongoing “For the Good of the Game” grants program. Additionally, the USGA’s Course Rating and Handicap systems are used on six continents in more than 50 countries.

For more information about the USGA, visit www.usga.org.

Media Contact: Pete Kowalski (pkowalski@usga.org)
Web Address:  www.usga.org
USGA Phone:  908-234-2300 ext.1322 (office)  908-216-8435 (cell)

Jason Mandel

Re: Saucon Valley gets 2014 US Mid AM
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
Bill,

From the looks of it, Weyhill is actually going to be the Match play course, with "Old" being the "2nd" course. I just got back from caddying for my brother in the Mid-Am and it is a great event.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Bill,

This is a tribute to the fine work that has been done at Weyhill. It will certainly bring Weyhill the national attention it deserves.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ben Voelker

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »
Bill,

Saucon Valley has a fond place in my memories as I did an internship in college there working for Landscapes Unlimited.  I haven't seen the course since 2003, but I really liked the place.

Congrats to the club, it should be a wonderful event.

Simon Holt

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
Cool!  I am playing the Weyhill on Sunday for the first time so this heightens the expectations.  I hear the Old is great too but no time on this trip unfortunately.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »
Congrats to the club!

Here is the thread on the Weyhill course from a couple of months ago:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49018.0.html

And here is a link to my entire photo album on the Weyhill course:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/sauconweyhill/

And here is the thread on the Old course from a couple of months ago:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49090.0.html

And here is a link to my entire photo album on the Old course:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/sauconold/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:33:58 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »
Congratulations Bill. Saucon is a perfect site. I was fortunate to play Weyhill six weeks ago and was very impressed with the work. I have long admired the Old Course as well. Its hard to think of a club with three courses of the quality of Saucon's.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
Congrats, Bill. Should be a perfect venue for this event!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »
I'm in.   ;D

Just got my call today as a first alternate from my site. I remember seeing Saucon Valley on TV as far back as its first Senior Open in the early 90's. I can't wait!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
Bill,

Nothing like short notice.

Saucon Valley is a pretty neat place.

My dad played in the U.S. Amateur there in the early 50's.

P.S.  Have fun tomorrow and Wednesday.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:19:16 PM »
Matt-
Good luck in September.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 11:50:09 PM »
Two years ago a couple of other GCA guys got in. Anyone else this year?

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:25:03 AM »
Matt C. -

Congrats and good luck!

You must have missed this thread from a couple of weeks ago. GCA-ers David Bartman and Jeff Fortson were medalists at two SoCal qualifying sites.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59209.0.html

DT
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:20:26 AM by David_Tepper »

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »
I really look forward to seeing how these players handle the golf course, particularly Weyhill. I've played Grace and Weyhill, and quite frankly, I was shocked at how good a course Weyhill is. It's also gorgeous and should present well.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Chris Cupit

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
Matt--congrats and good luck.  I will be there as a volunteer.

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »
I'll be there and really looking forward to it!

Lawrence Largent

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 11:50:06 PM »
I'm at SVCC right now, played 36 today and 36 more tomorrow. Courses are in amazing shape.

Good luck Matt, message me if you have any questions.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
Saucon is such a great place.  The hospitality has always been fantastic.  It's been a few years since I played the Old but was there for the Women's Open and was impressed.  Weyhill on the other hand is one of my favorite courses anywhere! Congratulations to Saucon. No doubt it will put on a great show!

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
See you there Matt!
#nowhitebelt

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »
Weyhill is a gem and don't forget the world famous showers.

David Bartman

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »

Chris, please look the myself and the other GCAers that qualified, always nice to put a face with a name.  Also, thanks in advance for helping out and volunteering we greatly appreciate it. 

nice Matt, nice playing in NCGA match play as well
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
Played the Old today. I've seen worse golf courses.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:43:00 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »
I've a couple of days at Saucon Valley next month including an overnight in the guest house, looking forward to it!
Cave Nil Vino

Chris Cupit

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »

Chris, please look the myself and the other GCAers that qualified, always nice to put a face with a name.  Also, thanks in advance for helping out and volunteering we greatly appreciate it. 

nice Matt, nice playing in NCGA match play as well

Will do.  I fly in tomorrow and will be a roving Rules Official during the Championship--I will try and find you guys--good luck to all our competitors!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 07:51:28 PM »
Chris,

If your roving takes you over to #15 on Weyhill, let me know what they do with the long fescue on the hill short and eft of the green. We play it as red hazard. Perhaps they'll leave it unmarked for the Mid Am.

And while you are looking at that hole from the tee, try to envision evry tree on the left being removed to open up a secong great look at the quarry!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back