News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Re: Getting Trolleys/Push carts approved at a private US club
« Reply #425 on: January 22, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »
http://www.golfchannel.com/media/2015-pga-show-push-carts-follow-you/

Good to see the trolley got some airtime on Morning Drive yesterday! 

I use a Kangaroo motorcaddy, basic model, not remote control.  Old Technology.  A couple of weeks ago I tried a Caddy Trek that one of my golf club buddies loaned to me.  It can follow you, or you can use a remote to direct it ahead of you.  The "follow" mode worked best for me.  The remote forward wasn't as good -- too hard to micro manage.  The difficulties with the follow mode: The remote is normally  fastened on your belt in the back, and it cannot be covered by a jacket or sweater.  It's four wheeled, and if the fronts are set sideways to your direction of travel when you start, it won't go.  Also, no accessories like a basket or cup holder, both of which are available with the Kangaroo.  (My buddy fashioned his own for his Caddy Trek.)   My guess  is that the Caddy Trek will be refined over the next few years and will bcome a great product.  For now I'm sticking with the Kangaroo, but I'll watch how the Caddy Trek (and other makers' brands) evolve.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:34:49 PM by Carl Johnson »

BCowan

« Reply #426 on: April 16, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
Pleased to learn that Orchard Lake CC is allowing trolleys in the non prime golf season.  Getting back to our roots is a process. 

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #427 on: April 16, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »
Pleased to learn that Orchard Lake CC is allowing trolleys in the non prime golf season.  Getting back to our roots is a process. 

Tell us more about our roots. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #428 on: April 16, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
Was the trolley invented in America or abroad?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2015, 12:20:05 AM »
A quick search revealed this:
Before the 1940’s, unless golfers were fortunate enough to play golf at country clubs where caddies carried the players’ golf bags, most folks carried their own. However in the early 1940’s, Bruce Williamson designed and introduced the first pull golf cart in Portland, Oregon. It was not particularly high tech to say the least. Bruce created his new pull golf cart from two lawn mower wheels with flat tires, mounted on an up-and-down folding, spring-suspension chassis. A standard golf bag was attached to the chassis. Golfers could now pull their golf bag behind them while walking the links. And although it wasn’t elegant, it sure beat carrying a heavy, fully loaded golf bag. Over the years other golf cart manufacturers entered the pull cart market and the basic design evolved. Now, let’s flash forward to 2002 when the Bag Boy Company developed their first-ever push golf cart.

http://www.intheholegolf.com/articles/113/a-push-pull-golf-carts.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #430 on: April 18, 2015, 10:57:02 AM »
Steve - when I was a member @ Riverside in Portland, everybody took a pull cart whenever it was wet (which was fairly often outside of the dry summer months).    There was zero feeling that the carts were "beneath" us, mostly because it kept our pre-stand bags off the wet turf. 

Of course, Portland golf clubs allowed jeans during the winter too.

David_Tepper

« Reply #431 on: April 20, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »

BCowan

« Reply #432 on: May 27, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »
Toledo CC is now allowing trolleys when caddies aren't available! 

Jason Thurman

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

BCowan

« Reply #434 on: June 16, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
''My favorite was listening to my Sirius XM PGA Tour explayer colleagues rant about how bad pushcarts "looked" in the NCAA, while they take caddies in events and ride carts at home''- Jeff Warne

well said
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:30:02 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

BHoover

« Reply #435 on: June 16, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
Chris DiMarco was urging the reigning NCAA champion to ditch the pushcart at Chambers Bay on Golf Channel's Morning Drive earlier today. Without saying it outright, he seemed to be implying that there's some stigma surrounding using a pushcart. My first thought was whether he's on the payroll at EZ-Go or ClubCar?

I think it's easy to say this when you have a caddie toting your bag. I have zero problem with folks riding, pushing or carrying (or whatever other means you use to play golf), but why disparage how someone plays golf. Live and let live. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #436 on: August 21, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »
Donald Trump believes push'pullcarts are a "stigma" too at Ferry's Point. They're ok at Bethpage Black:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/man-about-golf-a-plea-for-pushcarts-david-owen
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott Little

« Reply #437 on: August 22, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
Growing up in Winnipeg, Canada, I would always carry my bag.  When I moved to Virginia, one summer round in excess of 90 degrees with high humidity was enough to change my mind.  I now use a push cart exclusively when I walk.  I see the problem with courses not allowing push-carts (or walking) is the possible negative financial impact when cart fees are removed for a significant portion of the daily rounds.  Not sure how this would impact private clubs.  I can only assume that the great old privates were built to walk (ie. tees close to greens) and that those who worry about the look that push carts add are more concerned about the "prestige" associated with their club rather than the golfing experience.  As for Ferry Point, it is sad to see "elitism" and "look" trump practicality and openness generally associated with public municipal golf.  If anyone out there wants a great walk, PM me for Rustic Canyon...the best walkable course I have found in 20 years of playing the game.

jeffwarne

« Reply #438 on: August 22, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
Chris DiMarco was urging the reigning NCAA champion to ditch the pushcart at Chambers Bay on Golf Channel's Morning Drive earlier today. Without saying it outright, he seemed to be implying that there's some stigma surrounding using a pushcart. My first thought was whether he's on the payroll at EZ-Go or ClubCar?

I think it's easy to say this when you have a caddie toting your bag. I have zero problem with folks riding, pushing or carrying (or whatever other means you use to play golf), but why disparage how someone plays golf. Live and let live.

Chris DeMarco is a tool on this topic. He was touting this during the NCAA's on Sirius XM-go find a real cause.
He kept talking about "how bad they look"
He said " he earned the right" to a caddie.
he now plays in a cart or with a caddie.
Billy Horschel same stupid argument on Twitter.
Must be a Gator thing.

Amazing to me how something so common in the home of golf could "look bad"

Now I do understand they can cause turf damage, same as carts,
but let's not ban them because of how they look.
Enough people play golf for all the wrong reasons already.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:15:26 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #439 on: August 22, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »
How do trolleys cause turf damage?  Especially compared to the lbs/ sq in under the typical golfer's foot?  Allowing you to pull the across the green is what would actually lesson damage caused by excessive traffic on the same spots.

jeffwarne

« Reply #440 on: August 22, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »
How do trolleys cause turf damage?  Especially compared to the lbs/ sq in under the typical golfer's foot?  Allowing you to pull the across the green is what would actually lesson damage caused by excessive traffic on the same spots.

Wayne.
One look around the greens of most UK courses would show you.Pretty severe in some cases unless traffic patterns are rerouted via signs.
especially around bunkers are areas where traffic is forced (or a path of least resistance is taken)
carriers spread the wear more evenly which is why Bandon has trollys pull over the green sp the traffic spread out.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #441 on: August 22, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »
But it isn't the trolleys that causes the damage, it is the path taken by the golfers which is caused by the silly rule to keep trolleys from greens. My club has wear patterns similar to what you describe but I would say that far less than 25% of our golfers use trolleys. People just naturally try to minimize the distance walked.

jeffwarne

« Reply #442 on: August 22, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »
But it isn't the trolleys that causes the damage, it is the path taken by the golfers which is caused by the silly rule to keep trolleys from greens. My club has wear patterns similar to what you describe but I would say that far less than 25% of our golfers use trolleys. People just naturally try to minimize the distance walked.

agreed it's the traffic patterns and that trolleys should be allowed on greens
pretty severe damage around many UK courses though.
maybe the 25% are causing 75% of the damage ;) ;D

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #443 on: August 23, 2015, 02:03:13 AM »

Wayne,

motorized trolley cause damage through wheels slightly slipping/spinning on the turf which is often so slight that most won't notice it but it still adds to the stress on the turf. Also, the modern 3-wheeled push trolleys also do more damage than the old fashioned pull behind models.

Jon

MClutterbuck

« Reply #444 on: August 23, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »

Also, the modern 3-wheeled push trolleys also do more damage than the old fashioned pull behind models.

Jon

And at least for some people they put a lot more pressure on the back than the 2 wheel pull trolleys. At my club we managed to approve 24 trolleys on a first come, first served basis. However they are club owned and all the same, 3 wheeled push trolleys. I lost the battle to have 2 wheeled trolleys as well. 

The right/privilege to use trolleys is revoked with slow play or if they get close to greens.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #445 on: August 23, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »

Wayne,

Also, the modern 3-wheeled push trolleys also do more damage than the old fashioned pull behind models.

Jon

Jon, is there any science behind this?   Doesn't it make sense that splitting a fixed load between three wheels rather than two would decrease damage?   It's a lot easier to maneuver a three wheel push cart versus a two wheel pull behind. 

MClutterbuck

« Reply #446 on: August 23, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »

Wayne,

Jon

Jon, is there any science behind this?   Doesn't it make sense that splitting a fixed load between three wheels rather than two would decrease damage?   It's a lot easier to maneuver a three wheel push cart versus a two wheel pull behind.

I believe you are pushing at least partially down on a 3 wheel cart. It takes more effort to walk through rough. Whilst you are partially pulling up on a 2 wheel pull trolley. Whether this damages the course more or not i dont know. I certainly think it is less effort to pull on 2 wheels, and the trolleys are lighter.

Paul Gray

« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »
Donald Trump believes push'pullcarts are a "stigma" too at Ferry's Point. They're ok at Bethpage Black:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/man-about-golf-a-plea-for-pushcarts-david-owen

It never occurred to me that Donald Trump was capable of actually making something more classy. Turns out I was wrong.  :D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »

Wayne,

Jon

Bill,

basically by pushing you are causing a downward pressure on the front wheel and combined with this wheel been fixed on most models it leads to sheering. Spreading the load only decreases the ground pressure per wheel though as most of these 3 wheelers seem to have narrower wheels than the pull behind ones I doubt even this is the case.

Jon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #449 on: August 23, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »

Wayne,

Jon

Bill,

basically by pushing you are causing a downward pressure on the front wheel and combined with this wheel been fixed on most models it leads to sheering. Spreading the load only decreases the ground pressure per wheel though as most of these 3 wheelers seem to have narrower wheels than the pull behind ones I doubt even this is the case.

Jon

I'll need some more scientific evidence before buying that.  The tires of the Sun Mountain or Clic Carts are inflated pneumatic tires, versus the flat uninflated tires of typical pull carts.  I really believe the three wheelers are less load intensive, which should determine potential damage. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back