News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Sullivan

Stone Eagle Photos - January 2011
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:54:51 AM »
Hi everyone!

I was browsing my golf photos from the past few years and I thought I should post some of my photos from Stone Eagle.  Kyle Henderson created a fantastic photo thread with descriptions, so I won't try to outdo his thread...that would not be possible:)

I can't say enough good things about my experience at Stone Eagle.  I won't bore you with the all of the details, but I had one of my most enjoyable golf trips ever....the golf course is an engineering feat, much less a first rate design.  As you leave the driving range (no view of the course) and crest the hill leading to the 1st tee, and you are greeted with a view that gives you goose bumps.  You are in a "crater" in which a tremendous golf course has been created.  I closed my eyes and tried to imagine what the site looked like when Tom Doak arrived.  Tom has stated that Ballyneal is located on one of the best possible sites in the last 70 years.  SE may as well be located on the moon!

The course is wonderful...the conditioning is flawless...and the people are more than welcoming...not only the staff, but the members I was fortunate enough to meet.

Here are some photos from my visit.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:18:15 AM by Frank Sullivan »

John Kirk

Re: Stone Eagle Photos - January 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 02:01:13 AM »
Calling Peter Palotta...

What was that you said about homogenous grass?

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »
Frank:

Thanks for posting these.  I think they capture the essence of the place very nicely.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
Great pics, thanks for posting.  I hope the club is thriving these days.

What is the weather like in Palm Desert in the heart of the winter?

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
Frank, you have an excellent eye, a real gift for photography. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
In the heart of winter weather in Palm Desert is about as good as it gets.  Usually never warmer than 75 degrees and it would be really rare for it to be below 65 degrees.  I would say there is about one week in the winter where it might be in the 50s.  From November to March it is like that.  I would say in April and May it is usually in the 80s and maybe in the 90s a little in May.  It is pretty bilss for about 7 months of the year.

jkinney

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
Thanks for the first class photography. Can't wait to get back there !! The Club closes for overseeding (rye) in mid Sept. and opening day is the first weekend in Nov. For me SE ranks right up there among the very best golfing grounds to be on. Pure joy is what I feel every time I crest the hill above the practice field and see the course spread out nearly in its entirety.

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
Stone Eagle is a blast and pure enjoyment from beginning to end!

The thing I was most impressed/amazed at was how fast and firm the course played, while not being cut to tour standards (or so I assume). There was grass under the ball in the fairway, which I think is a great thing. Just couldn't have been any better.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »

I had no idea it was that good. Love the contrasts.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back