News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Top 30 courses in New Zealand
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
Scott Macpherson:

To each his own, I guess. I thought #18 may have been the best hole at Cape Kiddnappers. I loved how both the tee shot and the approach shot make you feel so confused where to hit the ball.

Also like CK's Road Hole.
Tim Weiman

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »
Tom - that is very exciting and good luck.

Being relatively new to GCA I had not seen this rankings list discussed.  Jamie and I were asked to contribute but declined because it is a lost cause (rankings done by local pro's).  It does piss me off that these lists are used as a reference point for the ordinary tourist who miss out on the charm of NZ golf. 

@Pure_Golf

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
Brian I missed your post, my apologies.

My top few courses are Pram, CK, Kinloch, KC, Titirangi, Oreti Sands, Jacks Point and The Hills. 

Comparing CK against Pram is a difficult task and I could understand people putting these two courses the other way around. Having played and seen plenty of Nicklaus courses I consider Kinloch one of his very best. 

Jamie is not on this site but he considers Balmacewen in Otago very highly.

As Scott mentioned above, it is difficult to rate Millbrook because it really is a tale of two halves.  Some of the work his team has done there and at Oreti Sands is really cool but sadly, there is not enough international influence on GCA in NZ.  For example, in my hometown of Christchurch, an exciting development is about to begin but the owners have chosen a very third rate local design firm.

It is worth mentioning a couple of gems:

Arrowtown (there is a great thread about arrowtown on GCA that perhaps someone could kindly link)
Mahia: A remote 9 hole links one hour from Gisborne that has one volunteer greenkeeper working 15 hours a week.  Word was that the Mahia peninsula was the original site for Cape Kidnappers but it's just too remote.

There are a few exciting prospects on the horizon where club committees have the opportunity to really enhance the allure of NZ golf including Middlemore, Russley, Heretaunga and Manukau.

Down in Queenstown Kelvin Heights is one of the most spectacularly positioned golf courses anywhere in the world crying out for a facelift.

@Pure_Golf

Ash Towe

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »
Tom,

Good luck with the project, I hope it comes to fruition.

Michael,

Lists are inevitable, they sell.  If it is to be done then lets have it done in an orgainised and rational way.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 11:01:46 PM »
Ash,  agree with you on a need to compile a decent list.  Currently I'm doing one with a small group of people for the Planet Golf website - PM me if you'd like to contribute.
@Pure_Golf

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:28 AM »
Any top 30 list that has Paraparaumu below 2 and no mention of Arrowtown is a bad list.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 05:44:19 AM »
I've only played 4 courses in NZ but am surprised Royal Wellington pre development is as high as 15, which it is a very fine club the course surely isn't top 25 in NZ.

Kinloch - a very fine course with some excellent holes and great views, it must however be burning a hole in the owners pocket. It's the only Nicklaus course I've played and enjoyed the experience.

Wairakei - it' difficult not to like this course, fairly open with scoring opportunities, wonderful views and good conditioning. Massive minus for no drinking water on the course.

Leo Barber's Beach - wonderful course that looks and plays like a links - apart from the 12th - and contains a couple of world class holes in 13 and 16. My only criticism of PB is the 10th and 11th where the housing gets a little tight and chokes the holes, however those houses weren't there when the course was built and you cannot control external issues. It may not be the best course in NZ but if CK and KC are world top 100 then PB must be number 3 in NZ and certainly world top 150. With a little more ambition from the members and the new PB airport flights to Auckland helping to generate more revenue, the spiritual home of NZ golf .should be able to return to it's number 1 in NZ position.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »
As regards any comments I make, I reserve the right to change them... especially if they are a year old. (Heck, I usually change my views 3 times a day!)

So, now it's 2011, my favourite courses in NZ are;

#1   Cape Kidnappers
#2    Paraparaumu Beach
#3   Kauri Cliffs
#4   Titirangi
#5   Millbrook
#6   Wairakei
#7   The Hills
#8   Kinlock
#9   Oreti Sands
#10   Harewood (old Course)
#11   Gulf Harbour
#12   Jack's Point
#13   Arrowtown
#14   Remuera
#15   Russley
#16   The Grange
#17   Christchurch
#18   Royal Auckland
#19   Otago GC
#20   Chisholm Park
#21   Manawatu
#22   Royal Wellington
#23   Napier GC
#24   Cromwell
#25   Nga Motu (New Plymouth)

The Pro from Chisholm Park is currently working to compile a list of NZ best courses, and contacting a raft of people. It will be interesting to see what the results are. The above ranking was my contribution.

Greg Turner and I are working at Royal Wellington. Progress is good, and we are very happy with early results. I hope it will elevate the course this wonderful Club plays on into NZ's top 3. Or, is considered the best Club course (not resort) in the country with PBGC.

The golf scene in Christchurch is a quickly changing thing. Shirley (Christchurch GC) has been damaged by the Earthquake (more Clubhouse than course), as have a couple of others like Avondale) Russley are making changes (possibly to as many as 9 holes due to a new road cutting off a corner of their property), Harewood is about to open is fully renovated new Old Course. (by TMGD, and we are very proud of this work), Clearwater may be the new home of NZ Golf, Pegasus is puffing out it's chest and wanting to be known, and there may be a new course coming designed by Kristine Kerr (Pegasus) and Boffa Miskell.

Speaking of great sites, Greg and I looked at an amazing site a few years ago. Sadly it never panned out. It is one of those.... 'oh what could have been...' dreams. Tom, I welcome any work you may bring to NZ, and if it comes together I will be the first to cheer.

regards,

Scott

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
Scott - when I was over in March work was underway at Royal Wellington and the plans looked fabulous. It is/was possibly the most tree choked course I've seen.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
HI Mark,

Oh I wish I had known you were there. I was onsite from Dec 2nd 2010 – April 12th 2011. I would have liked to have given you the full tour.

Royal Wellington has a close relationship with its trees – even the Club symbol is a tree (NZ tallest growing native). Trees are certainly part of the experience. Personally I am enjoying working with the tree committee. Some trees are coming out, some are being planted, but the remaining corridors will provide sufficient room for golf to be played and the trees to be enjoyed.

This is only the 3rd renovation of the course in 100 years. Times have changed since they last did a renovation, and I'm not sure any renovation they have done has been of this scale. On a planned 27-hole project, we are building about 6 new holes, significantly changing about 6 others and building new greens, tees and bunkers for all the holes.

Do you have any plans to return?

scott

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 03:38:03 PM »
Scott - I met the RW contingent at Royal Melbourne and they were excited about the futue, I've nothing against trees as I grew up on a parkland course but some of the corridors early on and around the turn are tight.

I'd be back tomorrow as I love NZ and a good friend has a wonderful beach house at Waikanae Beach just north of PB, I would however be led astray by Goldstein when he is in town and Mr Barber would be a tough oppo on the links! As much as I love Oz the people really make NZ a very special place, sadly it will be 3 or 4 years before I get back......I cannot wait.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
Mark,

I know Waikanae well. It's where I grew up, and where my parents still live. And Waikanae Golf Club was the first Club I joined as a junior member. My innocent youth was spent playing in and around the dunes at the beach. Happy days.

After playing at Waikanae for a few years, I joined Pram Beach and retained dual junior memberships at both courses for quite some time, until one year I left Waikanae (for financial reasons) and played all my competitive golf at PBGC. Looking back, I think that without the wonderful introduction I had to the game at Waikanae   – mainly due to a very good Pro, and a few good friends – I may not be where I am today. Life's an interesting journey....

PS- as regards this thread, I paid and played Waikanae GC a couple of months ago, and as much as I have fond memories for the Club and course, you will notice that the course does not make my top 25 in NZ.

scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back