News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The worst course to ever host a Major.
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
Personally, I love Torrey South as do many other people throughout the world.  It does have the ocean and the weather.  As so many majors of old were held at courses you may not have heard of I was once a member of Norwood Hills, a fine members course.  It is a little early, and I have never played the course, so with no further adieu I nominate Atlanta Athletic Club, 2011 as the worst course to ever host a major.  Today was the first day I had tuned in and the deal was sealed when the image of Tiger in the fairway bunker of number one hit my vision.  The course looks far more than boring, just simply awful on every level outside of agronomics.  The perfection of the conditioning amplifies the ungodliness of the design.

The good news is that I believe that we have finally hit rock bottom.  Can you think of a worse course that has ever hosted a major?

note to JC...save the Augusta National comments, we get it.

Joe Bausch

Re: The worst course to ever host a Major.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »
I don't know what Shaun Micheel thinks of the entire course, but apparently he really ripped the finishing hole today.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 03:06:12 PM »
I don't know what Shaun Micheel thinks of the entire course, but apparently he really ripped the finishing hole today.

He said there is no where to hit the ball so he just aims for the crowd and hopes no one gets hurt.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »

He said there is no where to hit the ball so he just aims for the crowd and hopes no one gets hurt.

I think some of the announcers chuckled when another reported what Micheel said.  Well, if what he said is true, that is some poor architecture and/or poor crowd management.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
Kemper Lakes is a strong second.

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
That cow pasture in MinnesotaHazeltine received lots of criticism when it first hosted the US Open in 1970. Dave Hill was fined for his comments ripping the course; wonder if Finchem will do the same with Lefty.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »
Here are some easy to use links to research your own nominations.  After doing so myself I am a bit ashamed at the obvious question I have posed.  Perhaps being the worst in this category isn't that bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGA_Championship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Open_(golf)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Championship

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:20:39 PM »
I did not know that Plum Hollow hosted a PGA along with its Ryder Cup.  I don't know about the course but it might be in the worst neighborhood.  Call back for Wigler.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:23:19 PM »
Personally, I love Torrey South as do many other people throughout the world.  It does have the ocean and the weather.  As so many majors of old were held at courses you may not have heard of I was once a member of Norwood Hills, a fine members course.  It is a little early, and I have never played the course, so with no further adieu I nominate Atlanta Athletic Club, 2011 as the worst course to ever host a major.  Today was the first day I had tuned in and the deal was sealed when the image of Tiger in the fairway bunker of number one hit my vision.  The course looks far more than boring, just simply awful on every level outside of agronomics.  The perfection of the conditioning amplifies the ungodliness of the design.

The good news is that I believe that we have finally hit rock bottom.  Can you think of a worse course that has ever hosted a major?

note to JC...save the Augusta National comments, we get it.

You must be speaking of another JC, I'm the Augusta National apologist here.  Either that, and worse yet, you've confused me with Matt Ward.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »
That cow pasture in MinnesotaHazeltine received lots of criticism when it first hosted the US Open in 1970. Dave Hill was fined for his comments ripping the course; wonder if Finchem will do the same with Lefty.

Dave Hill:  "It looked like a man destroyed a beautiful farm."

Classic.

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
I thought Hazeltine looked pretty decent in recent PGAs and Ams.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »

Yea, Hazeltine is Crooked Stick without the rednecks.  They are both fine courses.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »
I am having trouble determining the worst course that ever held the Open.  Got to go with Prestwick because of the lack of diversity of champion.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 03:43:46 PM »
Wait for it...wait for it..

Phil McDade

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »

George:

Recent being the operative word; most everyone concedes the course was not ready for the US Open 40-some years ago.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »
There are quite a few I'm not familiar with but PGA National and Columbine CC (Colo) stick out to me as sore thumbs.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
I am having trouble determining the worst course that ever held the Open.  Got to go with Prestwick because of the lack of diversity of champion.

It's OK funny gets a free pass.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Whistling Straights and Valhalla were pretty bad.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
Royal Lytham.

200 bunkers in 18 holes.  It gets old very quickly.

There are a few holes which are good and have lot less than 10 bunkers which tells you all you need to know about the rest.

(only half in jest, you'll see next year)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:07:41 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Kelly

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »
I'll vote for PGA National as well. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
Whistling Straights and Valhalla were pretty bad.

Each produced some of the most exciting finishes in the PGA in recent memory.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »
How could it be AAC? You guys all said it was Congressional like 2 months ago.

Alex Miller

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »
Obviously The Masters has a great course, and I like Royal St. Georges, but this might be the worst year for major championship courses (at least in recent memory).

Andy Troeger

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
It most certainly isn't Valhalla or Whistling Straits IMO. Those are perhaps among the more interesting PGA sites of recent years. Kemper Lakes is the weakest of the ones I've played.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
Royal Lytham.

200 bunkers in 18 holes.  It gets old very quickly.

There are a few holes which are good and have lot less than 10 bunkers which tells you all you need to know about the rest.

(only half in jest, you'll see next year)

I caddied in the 2006 Women's British Open at Royal Lytham and tend to agree. There are some good golf holes, particularly the middle stretch at 7, 8, 9, 10, and the closing holes at 17 and 18. As a whole though, not a great golf course. Slightly overrated IMO.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back