News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Grasty

Re: 'Floating' Back Bunkers ---- Why??
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
I always thought those bunkers existed to catch the balls of the hackers who thin their balls over the green. ;D

JNC Lyon

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »
Mark,

Why? is a good question on this one.  These are the bunkers I can never quite understand.  My only thought is that some of them look good cut into a hillside.  However, the fairway mowing lines should be brought right to the edge of these types of bunkers.  For the most part, these floating bunkers have little strategic value.  They should be used sparingly, if not at all.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »
Although some do provide aesthetic value they don`t really factor as an architectural element. I don`t see what is wrong with using them here and there for framing greens where there are natural backstops as part of the landscape.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »
Although some do provide aesthetic value they don`t really factor as an architectural element. I don`t see what is wrong with using them here and there for framing greens where there are natural backstops as part of the landscape.

It seems like using them would only provide added expense in construction and maintenance.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »

It seems like using them would only provide added expense in construction and maintenance.

John- No question it adds to the cost of the project and as a maintenance issue. I guess it depends on how deep the developer`s pockets are and the archie`s style.

JC Urbina

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 10:32:19 AM »

I am intrigued by the work that Mackenzie did on his "Floating Bunkers"  I think some on every hole excessive, one maybe two on a golf course thought provoking.  The example of the 13th at Augusta is not what I am thinking when I refer to "floating bunkers".

One of the best examples I can give but do not have a picture of is the series of bunkers Don Placek did on the 18th green at Pacific Dunes.

Every bunker carefully thought out and each bunker needing the other to serve a role.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back