News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Like the Phoenix Musgrove Mill rises from the ashes
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 12:04:43 AM »
We are picking up quite a few members.  I think the future looks pretty bright. The membership just wouldn't let the club die.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 06:49:16 AM »
We are picking up quite a few members.  I think the future looks pretty bright. The membership just wouldn't let the club die.

I have been a member here for 15 years and couldn't think of many things that could make Musgrove Mill any better, but I was wrong... 

More of my extended GCA family as fellow members... Awesome!!!  For anyone up north thinking of the cold months you have in your future as they say on the Price is Right, "Come on Down"!  We'd love to see you.

I smell a Dixie Cup stop in its future!!!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »
Daryl,

I definitely think a Dixie Cup at Musgrove should be planned for 2013. We are set at Chechessee and Secession for 2012. The problem with a DC at Musgrove is the second course... maybe CC of Spartanburg? That would be a great twosome.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 05:32:21 PM »
Daryl,

I definitely think a Dixie Cup at Musgrove should be planned for 2013. We are set at Chechessee and Secession for 2012. The problem with a DC at Musgrove is the second course... maybe CC of Spartanburg? That would be a great twosome.
I'm just throwing it out there, but isn't The Patriot pretty close to Musgrove Mill?  Perhaps they'd be interested in hosting one round of the Dixie Cup?

Great to hear that Musgrove is going to make it.  Now that I'm living and working in SC, perhaps I'll get there at some point.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »
Daryl,

I'm just throwing it out there, but isn't The Patriot pretty close to Musgrove Mill?  Perhaps they'd be interested in hosting one round of the Dixie Cup?

Great to hear that Musgrove is going to make it.  Now that I'm living and working in SC, perhaps I'll get there at some point.

That was exactly what I was thinking as well, The Patriot is very close, and it is a lot of fun.  Those greens would keep everyone interested for sure.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »
Daryl,

That was exactly what I was thinking as well, The Patriot is very close, and it is a lot of fun.  Those greens would keep everyone interested for sure.

With perhaps a visit with Mr. Cowley?   How many can stay on site at Musgrove Mill?

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »
Mary Musgrove says she missed you today Mike, JC, & Mark.

Took a few pics as I took a leisurely stroll for 9 holes.  Unfortunately my camera died a few weeks ago so just had the iPhone camera and this is probably the best one of the lot.

BTW If you don't know about Mary Musgrove yet, you soon will.  As members you will become well acquainted with her many charms and her idiosyncracies.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:18:47 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »

[/quote]

With perhaps a visit with Mr. Cowley?   How many can stay on site at Musgrove Mill?
[/quote]

Bill,  between the cottages and the rooms in the clubhouse,  we can sleep 20.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

paul cowley

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 12:47:15 AM »
We need to make this work and I will do my part...let me know Daryl...this could be much needed fun!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »

[/quote]

Bill,  between the cottages and the rooms in the clubhouse,  we can sleep 20.
[/quote]

And... there's a Comfort Suites just up the road the can handle another couple hundred!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:36 AM »
Daryl,

A quick attempt at Google Maps said 28 miles from MM to CC of Spartanburg.
We have had Mimosa, Carolina, Gaston in the past. The Spence tour would continue with CCS.
I think CCS would be a great member of DC 2012.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:37:19 AM by Bruce Wellmon »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
Daryl,

We have had Mimosa, Carolina, Gaston in the past. The Spence tour would continue with CCS.

Bruce - it would have to be 2013. 2012 is already planned for Chechessee Creek and Secession.

JC Jones

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »
Perhaps we could do an event late Spring of 2012?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
Daryl,

Bruce - it would have to be 2013. 2012 is already planned for Chechessee Creek and Secession.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant 2013.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
Maybe we could go to the NC mountains for the second course. I think there are a couple of possibilities we could make happen.
St. John of the Cross

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
Perhaps we could do an event late Spring of 2012?

There is always that little event down in Augusta in April, although the bermuda will still be brown for that.  If not May should be just perfect time to get some GCA folk together for a little fun at The Mill.

May consider heading out that way Wed or Thu.  Anyone wanting to break in their new memberships???

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:49 AM »
Good News for Musgrove Mill

Reports of demise of renowned Arnold Palmer-designed golf course in South Carolina are exaggerated, as club owner McConnell Golf teams with membership to continue operations
RALEIGH N.C. (February 1, 2012) - In late 2011, McConnell Golf announced it would be closing one of its eight clubs, Musgrove Mill Golf Club in Clinton, S.C., at least temporarily due to continuing losses and declining membership.

Turns out the reported closing was very temporary, as McConnell Golf has now announced formulation of a plan with the Musgrove Mill membership that will allow the club to continue operations. The plan includes a partnership that shares responsibility for keeping the club open, and if the new partnership is successful then the club will remain open indefinitely.

McConnell Golf president and CEO John McConnell said the company is planning to transform Musgrove Mill into a more regional golf course with some innovative membership opportunities expected to attract a wide range of golfers from all over the country.

"We have been very pleased with the outpouring of support and interest to maintain operations," McConnell said. "Musgrove Mill is a special place and it is obvious that the members and community recognize the impact it has on the surrounding area. Our plans are to keep Musgrove open at this point and hopefully the excitement will continue to build."

Designed by Arnold Palmer Design Company and opened in 1988, Musgrove Mill (www.musgrovemill.com) boasts 6,933 yards of challenging golf for a par of 72. Over the years, Musgrove Mill has hosted almost every South Carolina Golf Association event and Carolinas' Amateur tournaments, and has been consistently ranked as Golfweek Magazine's "America's Top 100 Modern Courses" and Golf Digest's "Top 10 Rated Golf Course for South Carolina."

McConnell Golf bought Musgrove Mill ("The Mill" as it is affectionately referred) in 2007. Part of The Mill's challenge is its remote location. Set in Clinton, S.C., about halfway between Greenville and Columbia, it is an hour and a half from the nearest other McConnell Golf property.

Yet, while Musgrove Mill is indeed off the beaten path - a special getaway reminiscent of Pine Valley in Clementon, N.J. - it is also a pure golf club where members and their guests will find the ultimate in destination golf.

The Mill features cottages for overnight accommodations, a first-rate practice facility, full-service clubhouse with a private chef, and historic significance as a former Revolutionary War battle site. Boasting a small, select membership, no tee times, and a secluded, natural course layout, The Mill is the ideal destination for the accomplished golfer.

The Mill's course design is expertly placed amid the picturesque landscape with topography ranging from wetlands, various elevations and the Enoree River. Musgrove Mill Golf Club is also part of the Musgrove Mill South Carolina State Park due to its unaltered natural beauty and significance as a former Revolutionary War battle site.

The Mill's signature hole is the 189-yard par 3 seventh hole, which commands a tee shot over the bend of the Enoree River to reach the green. The hole was named one of "The King's Dream 18," an honor bestowed by Arnold Palmer to his best and most challenging designed holes.

McConnell said he has always envisioned Musgrove Mill as a tribute to pure golf and a great day-trip for any golfer wanting to tackle one of golf's finest tests - a sanctuary for golfers to eat and rest their heads after their rounds.

"Musgrove Mill is a phenomenal golfing venue," said McConnell. "It's a true golfer's golf club. Every shot demands a quality execution and there is a unique array of golf holes and hole design. There is not one hole that remotely resembles any other hole on the course."

Chris Johnston

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
Very good news!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
Glad to see this topic came back up.  We have a small but nice circle of GCA members deveopling who have joined those of us who have been out there for years.  Anyone else that wants to come down (or over or up) and see The Mill let one of us know we are always happy to show her off to newcomers.

Today is one of those testing days where I am working in my home office and it is going to be near 70 and I am trying to resist the temptation to sneak out to The Mill.

Wish me luck!

Hope to see more of you soon...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »
Daryl, work is something you can do when it is dark. Golf is something
you generally need light to do. I know where I'd be.
St. John of the Cross

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
Turboe,

I agree with Tommy.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
Tommy and Jeff, sorry I didn't see your replies until now.  I snuck out for a quick 9!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
Daryl, I am very proud of you for doing the right thing.
St. John of the Cross

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
Daryl, work is something you can do when it is dark. Golf is something
you generally need light to do. I know where I'd be.

Tommy you are so right on this!  When I got my first job as a salesman (and its accompanying autonomy and freedom) I noticed that the company car they gave me had headlights on it.  I figured they were there for a reason so that I could drive when it was dark leaving those valuable daylight hours for more important pursuits.

By the way I also got a sample of a lighted golf ball last week at the PGA Merchandise Show that when you hit it triggers an internal LED light that stays on for 10 minutes.  So that might even allow me to expand the horizons of when golf can be played at twilight.  Now if I can just eliminate sleep entirely from my schedule I would really have something going...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back