News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Morgan Clawson

Old Works
« on: June 19, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
I'm headed out to Montana to check out Yellowstone and go to a wedding

Is Old Works worth a side trip?

Chris Johnston

Re: Old Works
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »

Morgan

Old works is terrific.  You will enjoty it and the price.  very memorable black sand in bunkers. 

Or, stop by Teton Pines in Jackson Hole, south of Yellowstone.  Very fun!

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »

Depends where you will be, exactly, and how much you want to travel. Old Works is worth "a day" trip. If you can drive 10 hours, play golf, and drive 10 hours home (which I've done) then your definition of a day is different from someone who considers 3 hours, a round and 3 more hours to be grueling or something. But if your situation would require an overnight stay in Anaconda, MT, I'd probably skip it. But its a good course to see, if only for the black bunkers.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »

Depends where you will be, exactly, and how much you want to travel. Old Works is worth "a day" trip. If you can drive 10 hours, play golf, and drive 10 hours home (which I've done) then your definition of a day is different from someone who considers 3 hours, a round and 3 more hours to be grueling or something. But if your situation would require an overnight stay in Anaconda, MT, I'd probably skip it. But its a good course to see, if only for the black bunkers.

Jamie,

What course was worth a 20 hr roundtrip drive (just curious)?

Thanks for the info as I am hoping to make a side-trip to visit Old Works, though that too will be a very long day (drive from Coeur D'Alene, AM golf at Old Works, PM golf at RCCC, drive back to Coeur D'Alene).

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
I just was there. It's really a treat and in great shape right now. The front nine has some wonderful width and movement. The back, starts to narrow for a few holes and then comes back to the feel of the front nine. Great example of responsible stewardship from a company that got stuck with a massive clean up. Plenty of run up options to greens benched, typically between mounds that were man made.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
Old works is definitely worth checking out, black bunker sand, reclamation golf course, showcases the history of the property very well. Unfortunately, the nuts and bolts of the golf course are not as spectacular.

The only other good golf course in the area is Canyon River, just outside of Missoula.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
The only other good golf course in the area is Canyon River, just outside of Missoula.

And who would be the architect of Canyon River? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
I've driven by Old Works more times than I can count now on Hwy 90.  One of these times I need to stop in and play it.

Ditto for Canyon River.

P.S.  Interesting Designer for CR, he has quite the lineup of projects he's been involved with.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
I drove over from Bozeman to play it one day.  I didn't think much of the course but I did enjoy the trip as well as trying to hit out of those black bunkers.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »
Morgan, I'm in the midst of piecing together a trip the first week in July to golf at Canyon River, Old Works, Big Sky, Devils Tower (Wyoming), Red Rock (South Dakota), and Links of North Dakota. Hopefully I can do up a report when we're back home. If you happen to play Old Works, please give us the details. Thanks.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:43:10 AM »
I just was there. It's really a treat and in great shape right now. The front nine has some wonderful width and movement. The back, starts to narrow for a few holes and then comes back to the feel of the front nine. Great example of responsible stewardship from a company that got stuck with a massive clean up. Plenty of run up options to greens benched, typically between mounds that were man made.

I agree with Adam, good course.  If you are "in the area" then I'd definitely play it. 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
Morgan, I'm in the midst of piecing together a trip the first week in July to golf at Canyon River, Old Works, Big Sky, Devils Tower (Wyoming), Red Rock (South Dakota), and Links of North Dakota. Hopefully I can do up a report when we're back home. If you happen to play Old Works, please give us the details. Thanks.

Jim, I'd suggest throwing in a round at Bully Pulpit on that trip as well.  It's about three hours from LND, but but it's south, so if you're hitting something in South Dakota along the way, it's worth the stop.  The scenery alone is fantastic.  There are a few gimmicky holes, but they needed to work the Badlands in one way or another.  The whole course is a lot of fun.  And if you've got an hour and a half to spare on either side, the scenic drive through Teddy Roosevelt National Park is terrific. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »
I'll second Bully Pulpit. I prefer it to Old Works. Traveling Rapid City to Williston makes it nearly right along the way.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »
Jim,

That sounds like a pretty cool trip. I'll actually be out there a week after you...

Tony Weiler

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »
Heck, if you are out this way play Hawktree in Bismarck, as well.  Let me know, I might be able to play it with you.  LND is not to be missed, but if you ask me, I'd play Hawktree 3 times over 1 at Bully Pulpit.  It is, however, worth a see. 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
Heck, if you are out this way play Hawktree in Bismarck, as well.  Let me know, I might be able to play it with you.  LND is not to be missed, but if you ask me, I'd play Hawktree 3 times over 1 at Bully Pulpit.  It is, however, worth a see. 

Hawktree is probably a course I'd prefer to play everyday over Bully Pulpit, but if I only had time for one round at one of those courses, it would be Bully Pulpit just for the scenery (not that Hawktree wasn't also in a nice location).  And if they're playing Old Works, they'd get to experience at least one course with black sand bunkers.  But I enjoyed all three of the North Dakota courses.  And I think the pass was $125 when I played all three, which is a really incredible deal.  All of this is making me realize I need to plan another drive back to Sidney, MT to visit family and hit up some good tracks on the trip. 

Jim Johnson

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
Thanks guys. We've played Hawktree, Bully Pulpit, and Links of North Dakota each a couple of times in the past 3 years, all on our annual Couples (4 couples) Golf Trip each August. First week of July, my wife and I are heading over to western Montana, and getting over to Devils Tower and Red Rock is stretching things a bit already.

Hate to sidetrack Morgan's thread. Any more comments on Old Works?

Adam, you mentioned that the course is in great shape right now. Curious as to what the weather's been like there this spring. Here in midwest Canada, we had record snowfalls this past winter, a late snowmelt (local courses didn't open until Easter weekend) and a wet spring to date.

Jim

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:34 PM »
Jim, I was only passing through, but, I understand that Montana has had the same weather as you. But, I suspect the great conditions were a result of 1) a possible break in the rain, the week before my arrival (see the RCCC thread) and 2) where ,and on what, the course resides. It looks like a site that would dry quickly, and since it's a reclamation project, the underlying soil might be very porous. And when I say perfect, I don't mean emerald green, it had a nice mix of color to it, which made me want to play ground game shots.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:14 AM »
If you're going to Montana, isn't Rock Creek worth a side trip? 

Jim Johnson

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
RCCC is private, correct?

Access?

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »
Rock Creek is my 1st choice of course.  I emailed them a request, but I haven't heard back from them yet... :'(

But thanks to you posters I'm intrigued by Links of ND, and it's not as far out of my way to drive.  Thanks!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »
Your drive from West Yellowstone would take about 3- 3 1/2 hours...provided you know where you are going.  Old Works, in my opinion is not worth that kind of drive. I live about 90 minutes from Anaconda and I have made the drive over to play OW exactly once...Canyon River and The Ranch Club (formerly Phantom Hills) in Missoula are better courses...in my opinion.

LOCK HIM UP!!!

Dave McCollum

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »
As I’ve said before, the contrast between OW and RCCC is staggering.  On one the golf is used to reclaim and beautify the town’s toxic dump.  On the other the golf sits so beautifully on a wonderful, natural landscape, not to change it, but compliment it in the grandest manner.  Play them both if at all possible.  RC rewards the effort getting there.  OW is fun and twists your perspective another way.  The front nine at OW is very good, as are the first two holes on the back, if slightly quirky and difficult.  The rest of the back loses a little steam.  You’ll have fun.  I played it when it opened and many times since.  I still enjoy it.  Disclaimer:  I have a pal with a lovely cabin on a pretty lake twenty minutes from Anaconda.  We’re always in a good mood when we get to the golf.

RC is simply superb.

DMoriarty

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »
Old works is definitely worth checking out, black bunker sand, reclamation golf course, showcases the history of the property very well. Unfortunately, the nuts and bolts of the golf course are not as spectacular.

I agree with Ryan.  The project itself was pretty amazing, especially if you know what was there before.  The entire area was part of a giant superfund site and Nicklaus's people and the engineers involved managed to build a course that fits well with the towns heritage, and highlights some of the old ruins.   I think the reason the course drains so well has to do with the EPA remediation requirements.  The poisoned land is all still there, but is capped and sealed and there is a complex sub-surface drainage system collecting all excess irrigation and storm water before any water can seep into the poisonous ground and contaminate the ground water.  It was a very expensive solution, but one that insures that the course always remains relatively dry.

As for the course, I've played it a number of times over the years and have to say I have probably enjoyed it a bit less each time.  There are some nice holes and some interesting decisions to be made here and there, but there are also many ho hum holes that happen to have black bunkers. I'd say it is more interesting for its history, engineering, and novelty than for its golf, but the golf is isn't bad. 

As for the drive from West Yellowstone, it is long but a very nice drive depending upon the route one chooses.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bill Seitz

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »

I agree with Ryan.  The project itself was pretty amazing, especially if you know what was there before.  The entire area was part of a giant superfund site and Nicklaus's people and the engineers involved managed to build a course that fits well with the towns heritage, and highlights some of the old ruins.   I think the reason the course drains so well has to do with the EPA remediation requirements.  The poisoned land is all still there, but is capped and sealed and there is a complex sub-surface drainage system collecting all excess irrigation and storm water before any water can seep into the poisonous ground and contaminate the ground water.  It was a very expensive solution, but one that insures that the course always remains relatively dry.

I couldn't find it on their site, but I recall reading some time ago that the water in the creek that runs through course actually leaves the property cleaner than it enters. Their FAQ does say that fish have returned to the creek, which used to be part of the smelting operation.  Pretty impressive use of the property if that's the case.  I'd love to get back to the area some day, as Butte has played a large role in my family history.  My aunt (though not blood related) grew up in Butte, as did my grandmother.  My great grandfather died in a mine fire there about 110 years ago. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back