News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Donegal Golf visit 2011
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »
This sounds a whole lot like a day at Painswick!  Isn't it great going to the UK/Ireland and playing courses that are just unthought of here in america!

Bill,

Bernard Darwin enjoyed Otway that much, he wrote about the course in his classic book The Golf Courses of the British Isles which was published in 1908;

I must put in one word for the quaintest and most charming little nine-hole course at Macamish, also on the shores of Lough Swilly, which can be reached by sailing across from Buncrana or by driving anywhere else an interminable number of Irish miles over a rocky make-shift road. It is the most purely amateur course in the world, and also, if more than two or three are gathered together upon it, the most perilous. The holes cross and recross each other and everybody aims at his own particular hole in a light-hearted, pic-nicking frame of mind, and perfectly regardless of the lives of others. For pure, unadulterated fun I have yet to see the equal of this course.

By all accounts, Otway has changed very little since Darwin wrote the above description. One still needs to be wary of the whereabouts of other golfers, and the proximity of rock outcrops means that ricocheting golf balls are a constant threat. Having said that, it is one of the most unique and unusual courses existing today and is always enjoyable to play. After my first visit to Otway, I came away from the course with the amusing thought: “Bring a crash helmet the next time”.

I believe the course was named after the 19th century academic Caesar Otway who had connections with the area.

Proof that you don't need a 7000+ yds course and 200 acres to have fun; here's the Otway scorecard. I think the course takes up about 40 acres at most.

4134 YDS, PAR 64, SSS 60

Hole      Length      Par
1st      103      3
2nd       180      3
3rd       304      4
4th       162      3
5th      333      4
6th      257      4
7th      209      3
8th      255      3
9th      264      4
Total      2067      32

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:06 AM »
This sounds a whole lot like a day at Painswick!  Isn't it great going to the UK/Ireland and playing courses that are just unthought of here in america!

Bill,

Bernard Darwin enjoyed Otway that much, he wrote about the course in his classic book The Golf Courses of the British Isles which was published in 1908;

I must put in one word for the quaintest and most charming little nine-hole course at Macamish, also on the shores of Lough Swilly, which can be reached by sailing across from Buncrana or by driving anywhere else an interminable number of Irish miles over a rocky make-shift road. It is the most purely amateur course in the world, and also, if more than two or three are gathered together upon it, the most perilous. The holes cross and recross each other and everybody aims at his own particular hole in a light-hearted, pic-nicking frame of mind, and perfectly regardless of the lives of others. For pure, unadulterated fun I have yet to see the equal of this course.

By all accounts, Otway has changed very little since Darwin wrote the above description. One still needs to be wary of the whereabouts of other golfers, and the proximity of rock outcrops means that ricocheting golf balls are a constant threat. Having said that, it is one of the most unique and unusual courses existing today and is always enjoyable to play. After my first visit to Otway, I came away from the course with the amusing thought: “Bring a crash helmet the next time”.

I believe the course was named after the 19th century academic Caesar Otway who had connections with the area.

Proof that you don't need a 7000+ yds course and 200 acres to have fun; here's the Otway scorecard. I think the course takes up about 40 acres at most.

4134 YDS, PAR 64, SSS 60

1st      103      3
2nd       180      3
3rd       304      4
4th       162      3
5th      333      4
6th      257      4
7th      209      3
8th      255      3
9th      264      4
Total      2067      32

Donal ,
Thanks again for the advice and help with our "craic".
The card at Otway is quite different now.

#1 is 165 yards on the card-I hit 5 iron in the howling wind-ams hit drivers
2 is at least 350 (played across the entire property)
7 is 95 yards
8 is 175
9 I hit killed driver 8 iron to the back of the green but was into a strong wind
I'll post it tomorrow
The valley that 6 crosses did not appear to be used anymore other than for 6 to cross so perhaps that accounts for the differences
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:00:31 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »

4134 YDS, PAR 64, SSS 60

1st      103      3
2nd       180      3
3rd       304      4
4th       162      3
5th      333      4
6th      257      4
7th      209      3
8th      255      3
9th      264      4
Total      2067      32

Donal ,
Thanks again for the advice and help with our "craic".
The card at Otway is quite different now.

#1 is 165 yards on the card-I hit 5 iron in the howling wind-ams hit drivers
2 is at least 350 (played across the entire property)
7 is 95 yards
8 is 175
9 I hit killed driver 8 iron to the back of the green but was into a strong wind
I'll post it tomorrow
The valley that 6 crosses did not appear to be used anymore other than for 6 to cross so perhaps that accounts for the differences

Jeff,

I have two different cards for Otway from the 1980s. They may have switched the holes around at some stage in 1984-85. Here's the other scorecard I have:

1st      162      3
2nd       363      4
3rd       257      4
4th       209      3
5th      255      4
6th      264      4
7th      123      3
8th      180      3
9th      304      4
Total      2117      32

There was one hole, maybe the 6th or 7th where you hit blind over a high mound and then made you way to green by walking through a gap or pathway. It's been so long ago, I can't remember.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 09:14:54 AM »
stayed in Buncrana the last two nights, flew out of Belfast
6 days golf,  seven 18's ,four 9's

Great trip, great value.
The people everywhere were polite and quite happy to see us, much like the southwest of 20 years ago.

If anyone needs any help planning a future trip feel free to IM me.

Jeff,

So, did you play the 9 hole course at Buncrana? What's it like?

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:05 AM »
stayed in Buncrana the last two nights, flew out of Belfast
6 days golf,  seven 18's ,four 9's

Great trip, great value.
The people everywhere were polite and quite happy to see us, much like the southwest of 20 years ago.

If anyone needs any help planning a future trip feel free to IM me.

Jeff,

So, did you play the 9 hole course at Buncrana? What's it like?

Donal,
That second card is the one.

after the ace at Nortwest things got a little uh........ ;) ;)
so no we never made it out to Buncrana.
I had eventually scrapped it from the formal itinerary
Looked nice from the road (my assistant and I were going to sneak over for late evening round/grudge match but the celebration intervened)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »
Paging Donal
White courtesy phone ;D

headed back to Donegal-looking for thoughts on Greencastle.
anyone seen it?
I have found a few attractive pictures on the web

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 01:52:42 AM »
Jeff

I played Greencastle on my honeymoon in 1991 when it was a 9 hole course, and it was lovely wee course with superb greens.  I haven't been back since, but I can't think that Eddie Hackett did aything but enhance the golfing experience when he extended the course to 18 the next year or two.  Play, enjoy and please report back.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Matt MacIver

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 07:31:06 AM »
Jeff - I look forward to your renewed report, fingers crossed that I make this trip next Spring so looking for all sorts of commentary and recommendations.

James Boon

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for bumping this one, hope you've heard from Donal? I've an e-mail for him so will DM it to you if you want?

I'm thinking of adding some of this to make a longer trip next year to Buda, but cost, time and logistics are all still way up in the air. But plenty of food for thought here so thanks.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 03:30:11 PM »
Paging Donal
White courtesy phone ;D

headed back to Donegal-looking for thoughts on Greencastle.
anyone seen it?
I have found a few attractive pictures on the web
Jeff:
I haven't played Greencastle (too far to drive from Gweedore), but I was always curious, as the aerials looked quite good. My father has played it a few times, so I'll report back to you soon.
Wow! This is my first post in a year.

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
Thanks Donal-perhaps your dad is keen for a rematch!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 05:18:21 AM »
Not sure if this will influence your plans Jeff, but they've been playing the new holes at Gweedore for 6 months or more. It's now a 15 holes course (or is it 14; I can't remember  ??? ). The layout plays the commonage holes (3rd green is retained but played as a par three from a different angle) the first time around and then extends to the new holes on the back nine. The members are happy with them and it looks like they will stick with this layout despite numerous failed attempts in the past (1980, 1981, 1984-85, 1989).
I have some photos and will try to get time to post them over the weekend.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
In review of Dónal's photo post of Gweedore, I am sorry I haven't budgeted enough time to explore Donegal, causing me to the only conclusion possible, even before I leave for this trip.  I'll have to return to pick up the NW of Ireland and the Northern Irish aspect of the Isle.  As I review Gweedore photos, I get the impression that it may be much like Port Fairy Australia, whilst Port Fairy may be a bit more dramatic in terrain.  But the authenticity of both has its own allure to be sure.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41990.0.html

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
In review of Dónal's photo post of Gweedore, I am sorry I haven't budgeted enough time to explore Donegal, causing me to the only conclusion possible, even before I leave for this trip.  I'll have to return to pick up the NW of Ireland and the Northern Irish aspect of the Isle.  As I review Gweedore photos, I get the impression that it may be much like Port Fairy Australia, whilst Port Fairy may be a bit more dramatic in terrain.  But the authenticity of both has its own allure to be sure.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41990.0.html

Dick, it appears that next year's Buda Cup will be around this time at Carne and Enniscrone.  That will get you right in the heart of NW Ireland, and in the company of some fine fellows as well.   See you there?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »
Oh yes Bill, it is on my mind!  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »
Portsalon...
wow!!!

18 lunch right back to tee
22 mph winds-perfect

No better place on earth.
To the contrary of previous reports- there are PLENTY of run-up options .only a couple of aerials req hired

Bad wifi. More. Later.
Greencadtle a gem.well worth the. Detour

Great variety better scenery.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »
Run Jeff, run!  ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
More details on Greencastle please Jeff. Sounds interesting.

Terrific ferry trip across Loch Foyle from Greencastle. A nice way to go if travelling the Ballyliffin to/from Castlerock/Portstewart/Portrush route. Not sure the ferry operates all year though.

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »
More details on Greencastle please Jeff. Sounds interesting.

Terrific ferry trip across Loch Foyle from Greencastle. A nice way to go if travelling the Ballyliffin to/from Castlerock/Portstewart/Portrush route. Not sure the ferry operates all year though.

Atb

Didn't take the ferry as we were coming from Belfast Airport (2 hours).
and Garland, no driver as we were just three.
Roads were great fun-I did all the driving.
Generally beat Google maps and GPS times and I'm no speed demon.

Day1
Greencastle
Quaint, perfectly situated clubhouse-a great way to start the trip after overnight flight with a pint and lunch.
First hole a bit contrived 90 degree dogleg driveable by playing over a 100% blind  large heather covered hill-two of us played to wrong green after laying up with irons off the tee
Second rises to high ground revealing views out over the property and water.
Front nine felt mainly inland but had a number of good holes and views across the water and property as well as a par 3(5th?) on a rocky peninsula amidst spectacular scenery that Pebble Beach would be proud to have in its arsenal.
Back nine closer to water and linksier feeling with the highlight being the 12th hole-simply stunning dogleg right along the water with a lighthouse in background and a sunken green located behind a heathery rise in the fairway. Quite a few good holes on the back including the linksy 11th benched against a giant dune that the 12th tee sat atop as well as a well sited tte on the 13th, the good returning 14th and the 16th. 17 a weak safety-tree infested par 4 followed by a decent elevated tee par 3 18th back to the clubhouse.
Definitely time well spent, especially on a sunny breezy day. A few of the pictures look more like casa de Campo ;) [size=78%] than Donegal with palm trees and rocky cliff backgrounds[/size]

Closest comparison would be Ardglass

Stayed in a rental home Buncrana-nice town
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:47:25 AM by jeffwarne »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 12:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the Greencastle summary Jeff. It's now on my future visit list. Agree that taking a rental house as a base to operate from is a good move. It's what I usually do on golf trips and tends to work out pretty well £$ wise as well.
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 03:50:56 PM »
Day 2
Ballyliffin
I still can't get my arms around this place after 2 visits.
I was predisposed to like the Old but preferred Glashedy with its wilder terrain and more variety.
It just seemed like every par 4 on the Old was the same length.
Glashedy had a bit of that too as the modern obligatory usually proportionately 4 sets of tees tends to force that.
I usually remember every hole but I had trouble after the round remembering the holes, especially with the crossover hill in the middle of the course forcing long walks presumably to allow all four nines to start and end at the clubhouse.
No doubt there are numerous good to great holes on both courses but the similarity in first tee proximity, routing, terrain, and texture make it difficult to remember every hole.

I will say they are very accomodating and were kind enough to put us out in front of member groups.
We played as a threesome in 3:45 and 3:30.
Certainly a very good 2 course destination. we ate lunch and dinner there and were treated well.
I guess it was all a bit too modern standardized for me and lacked the oldish quirk/distinction I enjoy.
No doubt I am being unfair as individual holes were very hard to find fault with.

Stayed in Buncrana again.

Day 3
Northwest GC
arrived effectively unannounced as I had no email reply.
No worries as they sent us right off but unfortunately behind a large slow group.
After three holes we played back down 18 and made a quick trip to the bar and restarted with now a 6 hole cushion.
I already really liked this course (see 2011 notes)
They've made a few chances, specifically raising portions of greens and building a new 4th hole to eliminate the crossing of the 17th.
i wasn't a fan of the new greens as they looked modern and different than their charming lay of the land older greens, and the jury is out having not played the new third as it's not open.

We played with a fine 2 handicap gentleman who could really drive the ball with his compact linksy swing.
Amazingly my ball landed near his when we picked teams ;)
My one comment was that they really should cherish their status as the "St. Andrews of Scotland" being one of the oldest courses in Ireland-1891-and should highlight that rather than trying to conform to the modern norms that the course down street is stuck with. They also keep their rough pretty severe as they tend to think it's their defense, but as I said to them-"No one is coming to Northwest Golf Club because of its rough, and no one ever leaves a course and said that they wish the course had more rough".
Brought me average down to even par on the par 3 7th ;D  after a double. A really tough green to hit and hold from any distance.
All in all a course really worth playing. Gary in the shop was again more than accommodating and the members seemed thrilled we had visited.

Played the 9 hole Buncrana afterward-some fascinating greens, the toughest par 3 of the trip (240 into a small bowl across the first green) and the longest par 5 (600 yards) all fit into a tiny seafront parcel.
Really interesting greens especially the par 3 9th and the fallaway semiblind 8th

Headed to Portsalon to stay in another rental house on the doorstep of Sarah's ,Store's pub and Portsalon GC
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:59:53 PM by jeffwarne »

jeffwarne

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »
Tale of the times.
At Ballyliffin they announced to us we arrived that the greens on The Old were running at 9 and 11 on The Glashedy (no way but beside the point)
At Buncrana GC (1892) the clerk asked us afterward how fast we thought the greens were stimping.
The greens were fantastic, yielded incredibly fast putts (as well as super slow) because of the incredible and unique slopes, not the absolute stimp which probably was about 7-8.
Pained me to even have someone mention the stimp regarding such unique greens.
I'm sure he's only now recovering from the rant I gave him ;) ;D

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:02:39 PM by jeffwarne »

jeffwarne

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
Day 4
 Portsalon
Awesome-see earlier comments as well as 2011 comments.
just can't see the knocks the place gets by non Ruddy fans.
Sean Arble rates it relatively highly but felt the ground game wasn't an often option (perhaps I'm paraphrasing poorly)
Played in 22 mph wind and some rain in the afternoon.
played the ground game ALL day hitting  140 yard 4 irons, runup chips, putts from off the green.
Only saw aeriels needed on 2(to carry water 20 yards short of green)
17-same issue-tough downwind even with L wedge.
Absolutely enchanting-very tough start into fierce wind.

Played it twice in favor of going to Otway

Stayed in Portsalon rental house again

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »
As much as you seem to like NW Ireland, will you be attending Buda next year?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »
Day 5
Dunfanaghy in am
40 + mph wind-ball was moving on uncut greens that stimped about 7.
I no longer feel they could've played Friday at TOC in this year's Open ;) ;D

Better than I remember and I liked it before.
1-5 a bit repetitive-- 6-10 stunning.
Hit a driver on 207 yard downhill 7th 40 yards short.
My assistant hit driver on 135 yard downhill 9th pin high-I hit a knee high 5 iron 20 yards short.
Considering weather had best round of trip actually putting Ok in howling despite missing 2 putts inside 18 inches-shot 78.
a few pedestrian holes coming in 16-17 great holes out by water.
Lively bar scene as many players packed it in due to weather-was a day of Open competition and course was quite busy despite horriffic conditions.

Afternoon-Cruit Island
stunning-arrived 5 pm not a soul in sight.
Winds calmed down to a reasonable 22 mph, about the same I played in last time.
Played my worst 9 of the trip just couldn't do anything right but had a blast.
One of our guys who had retired after 9 in the morning at Dunfanaghy due to complete inability to cope with crazy wind shot even par at Cruit in what still was pretty good wind.
stayed in Gortahork rental home
attended Jazz festival in Dunfanaghy-great time

Sunday
Narin and Portnoo
Really like this course but must confess I'm not crazy about the new changes.
3 par 5's in a row(and 4 out of 6) help with car yardage but the last 3 run parallel.
Always used to feel like I had made  sneaky quirky discovery that couldn't be explained when I played there before, but now it feels like it's been discovered and less wild and remote.
No fences around greens or gate as you enter the common ground anymore.
many good-great holes though, especially 6-13,16,17 and to be fair the early holes are improved from what they used to be.
Well worth playing though and warm welcome.

Stayed Gortahork-flew out of Belfast next day

Very hard to beat a trip to Donegal for hospitality, adventure, price/value, and the drives are stunning-especially if ones takes a few slight detours.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back