News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shannon Wheeler

High Ridge Country Club, Palm Beach
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:39:10 PM »
High Ridge, did a search, found nothing. Any thoughts?

hick

Re: High Ridge Country Club, Palm Beach
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
Its actually in Lantana just west of 95, and maybe a mile from Manalapan which is south Palm beach. never played it. looks to be a Joe Lee course.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:09:56 PM by Mat Hickey »

Shannon Wheeler

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »
My bad, I meant that I didn't find any posts about it and didn't know what the opinions were?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Shannon,

It's a nice, member friendly type of golf course.

At many Florida golf courses, the age of the membership usually dictates conditions and the degree of challenge.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »
Never heard of it.

Joe Lee, 1980 recently renovated:

http://www.ryangolf.com/golf-renovation-projects-detail.php?id=468

Housing development course:

http://www.ocean30.us/boyntonbeachhighridgecountryclub.php

High Ridge is a great club, and a wonderful golf course.  There are NO homes on the golf course.   The homes listed above are unassociated with the club and are not attached to the property.  it is a smaller club, older membership, and 95% of the members live on Palm Beach.  High Ridge also boasts one of the best merchandised golf shops anywhere. 

The golf course actuallly deserves more accolades in south florida.  It is a wonderfully routed course, always is great playing conditions.  They have a top notch range and practice facility as well.  The golf course is similar in feel to Banyan and Boca Rio if you have ever played either of those two.  Well worth the play if you ever get the chance.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:17:18 AM »
@ Lenny

How does HR compare to The Falls nearby? Golf and/or food?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
Steve,
The Falls is a great club and a good golf course but is a notch below High Ridge.  The Falls is much more of a typical florida golf course.  Although there are no homes, there is a lot of water, and you feel like you are playing golf in Florida, complete with the waterfall on 16 (hence the name the falls).  You can stand on almost any hole on High Ridge and forget you are in Florida.  The front nine takes you in and out of the pine forest and the back nine has a stretch of holes 13-15 which actually in a strange way remind me of Augusta.  There is actuallly a creek that meanders through these 3 holes.  Great Risk / Reward holes and my favorite stretch on the course.

The food at High Ridge is as good as it gets.  You have a large membership population from clubs such as Glen Oaks on Long Island and make no mistake, food is the number 1 priortiy.  The Falls is good, but not as good as HR. 

In that little world of South Florida jewish clubs (Boca Rio, HR, PBCC, Banyan, the Falls), the Falls is a little bit of the "red headed step child" Never quite acheiving the level of its couterparts.  I will say that the Falls does have a great caddy program, which helps its cause in my opinon

Adam_Messix

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »
It's been 15 years since I've played High Ridge, but Lenny pretty well has it nailed from what I remember.  The golf course is totally isolated with no home intrusion and is a solid, fun Joe Lee golf course that is well bunkered and has a reasonable amount of water in play if you're aggressive but there's usually an easy way around if you're not as strong a player.  It's similar to Banyan in that it's very treed but not in any way claustrophobic, there's plenty of room to play.  I think Kipp Schulties has done some renovation work to the course in the last few years.  HR may have had the best and most consistent turf I have ever seen on any South Florida course and it was the first place I ever saw that gave the exact yardage to the hole on the tee of the par three holes. 

hick

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »
Lenny, does The Falls still allow public play in the summer.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 10:39:23 AM »
Mat - I don't believe the Falls allowes any public play, even in the summer.  You may be right, but that sounds very strange to me and if true, is something pretty recent

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 02:47:06 PM »
Mat,

I know a lot of private clubs allow reciprocal play in the summer. That's the first I've heard anything about  The Falls allowing public play.

hick

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
This was back in the late 90s, maybe it was some sort of membership drive. My wifes brother in law worked for Motorola in Boynton for twenty years and I know the guys played The Falls in the summer. I guess it could have been a corporate thing.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
Mat--

There are a lot of clubs in Palm Beach County that have what they call "summer memberships" that are pretty reasonable for people who live down there and don't mind playing in the heat.  It's also good revenue for the clubs.  Most of the exclusive clubs don't need to do this, but some on occasion will.  The only time I played The Falls was in the summer of 98 and it was pretty deserted so I don't think they had anything going then. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
@ Lenny

How does HR compare to The Falls nearby? Golf and/or food?

Spot on
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

hick

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
Gents, you are correct as it was The Fountains that had a summer membership . The Falls was played through a member.

Shannon Wheeler

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »
Played High Ridge over the weekend.  From what I understand, the membership was hesitant about the renovation at first, but it seems to have turned out great.  The conditions were excellent and the golf course provided a fair challenge.  A great mix of holes with a nice elevation changes for SE Florida.  I believe it's built on the same sand ridge as WPB golf course.  Nice subtle changes without looking artificial.  The setting was more like Pablo Creek in Jax than typical Palm Beach County. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »
Here is the new High Ridge CC website:

www.highridgecc.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 07:34:51 PM »
Just found this aerial:

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 02:31:21 AM »
High Ridge, did a search, found nothing. Any thoughts?

High Ridge has been renovated and I hear it is terrific
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back