News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Architect's passion
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
I was just watching a YouTube video of a famous architect explaining one of the holes on his new golf course.  I just loved the passion that the architect showed for his creation - it's obvious that this wasn't a "phone it in" project.  The passion was really contagious.

Leads to a question - how often does an architect beam like a new father about his baby after grow-in?  How often can the end product surpass his expectations?

Randy Thompson

Re: Architect's passion
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:57:51 PM »
Depends on the client, the budget and the developement team and the archtiects ability to draw and control these factors. I think we all start with passion and high expectations, visualizing a certain level of a completed project. Sometimes it all comes together and those expectation are surpassed and other times its like a fifteen rounds of boxing, taking punches after punches until you feel nothing.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »
Dan

One of the best articles on this subject was written for Philadelphia Magazine in October 2001 on Gil Hanse by Jeff Silverman.

Title "Mr. Tee"

Let me know if you find it, if not I'll show it to you when I come north.

Willie

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
Dan:

One of the things that drives me nuts about some architects is that they never show real passion for any particular golf hole they've built.  Tom Fazio, in particular, talks a lot about "quality" but generalizes about the course overall instead of focusing on a hole or two he really likes.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 07:13:19 AM »

Tom

Surely you mean that a good designer will always praise those who have helped him  i.e.

"specifically designed by The Almighty for playing golf"  comment re Machrihanish Golf Course circa 1879

Can you get anymore passionate?  :)

Melvyn

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
Dan:

One of the things that drives me nuts about some architects is that they never show real passion for any particular golf hole they've built.  Tom Fazio, in particular, talks a lot about "quality" but generalizes about the course overall instead of focusing on a hole or two he really likes.

Tom,

Don't you think the same can be said for Fazio's design career in general? Generally quality but nothing ground breaking or soul stirring.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
Without passion, you will never reach the pinnacle of any career.
Mr Hurricane

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »
Dan Herrmann -

Would it be possible for you to either post a link to the youtube clip and/or give us enough information so we can search for it?

DT

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »

A real and life commitment and confirmation of an Architect's passion would be to charge the same Fees for the next 50 years.

Or are we saying that it’s just a job and the passion is a hype to earn or charge more. Hence why the design process these days seem so watered down by the individuals involved that no one can claim to be the architect or more appropriate The Designer.

If interested in GCA then I firmly believe that each course should be credited with a designer be it for the original or subsequence modifications. A little more passion in defining the designers of a new course is required rather than awarding the design to the senior name of a design company who may have just rubber stamped the whole process but did not DESIGN the course.

Would we have design companies if we had the passion to charge the same Fee for 50 years to the benefit of the average golfer?

Melvyn

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »

A real and life commitment and confirmation of an Architect's passion would be to charge the same Fees for the next 50 years.

Melvyn

Melvyn:

I would happily do that, as would some other architects, IF all of our customers on earth agreed to operate their golf courses on a break-even basis, and give any profits generated from the golf or the real estate around the golf back to an organization dedicated to growing the game.

Let me know if you find me some jobs that fit the description.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »

Tom

What has your passion to do with the profits of golf courses worldwide. The subject is passion not money or making a living but real raw passion, just like golf was when we had centre line fairway bunkers. Making it easy carries no passion but seems more like a bribe than passion, of course that depends on how much golf means to the individual.

Get Golfing, Get Penal, give us back our game and our great courses,  the average 3 hour round, friendship and allow plying through as well as a real understanding as to what course etiquette means.

Tom, I have no problem believing that you hold these belief close to your heart too.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back