News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Don Padgett II on Pinehurst #2
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
Don Padgett's Feature Inteview (complete with GolfClubAtlas.com's first streaming videos) can now be seen by clicking on the link below:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-pinehurst

Many of us have our own Pinehurst story and this is mine: My great grandfather was a lawyer in Carthage, North Carolina and little could he have known what would transpire from his continued work for a family down from Boston whom had acquired some (!) acres thirty minutes south in the Sandhills of Moore County in an area called Pinehurst. I have a few copies of letters between Mr. Tufts and Mr. and Mrs. Adams including one congratulating them for the birth of their son (my grandfather) in 1908. The letterhead notes that Pinehurst is 'The Famous Winter Resort in North Carolina', that it was founded by James W. Tufts, and that in 1908 Leonard Tufts was the owner.

In 1981, my two brothers, Dad, and Mom went on family vacation to Pinehurst and Hilton Head and without that trip, this web site might well not exist. On the ride home from Hilton Head, we debated with vigor why we liked Pinehurst more than Harbour Town, all despite HT being full of overtly great holes. The discussion raged on, perhaps as an early precursor to this Discussion Group ;) .

Hence, this part of the world has always held special meaning to the Morrissetts and it is no wonder I moved here once I was forced to flee Australia :). Anywhere you elect to live, you only want the best for that area and good things have indeed happened since moving here in 1999 including multiple Women's Opens, a U.S. Open, and a U.S. Amateur. Famously, 2014 is going to be quite the year as well. And yet....was Pinehurst still stirring souls as it had in decades gone by?

Perhaps not, or at least not to the level that Ross's artful handling of the rolling, sandy terrain would merit. Other resorts had sprung up, some with multiple world top 100 courses. No. 2 was still highly regarded despite  ~26 yard wide (shouldn't it be 'narrow'?) fairways with thick bermuda rough on each side.

Roger Maltbie crowed to me at dinner in November 2009 that he had never seen No.2  better than during the 2008 Amateur. The rest of that dinner conversation (albeit a short one) did not flow as perhaps he expected.

Move the clock forward and here we are today, Friday, March 4th, 2011 and Pinehurst No.2 opens back up to resort play today after being shut for five months for the most controversial project that Coore & Crenshaw have ever undertook. The end result is SENSATIONAL though some locals still wonder why the resort decided to 'pull up perfectly good bermuda grass.' :(

In recent times, golfers would say that they loved No.2 though when pressed for specifics, they couldn't offer up many details other than they just 'loved the greens.' The holes seemed to almost blur together despite a superlative set of greens.

That tepid answer no longer washes as each hole now looks and plays in a distinctive manner, there is much strategy from tee to green whereby angles are in play once again, there is a great variety to the fate of your ball should it leave the tight turf of the wide fairways, etc. The list of benefits from C&C's work goes on and on for this course which now features short grass galore and no rough.

Bottom line: No. 2 is no longer 'just' about the greens and it once again possesses many, many memorable holes of outstanding merit. In addition, C & C may have pulled off a very neat trick: No. 2 might now play easier for the bad golfer and harder for the good golfer than before. Time will tell if that proves to be true but that is reckoning of some that have closely followed this project.

Give credit where credit is due as shutting down the premier course at a large resort like Pinehurst is never easy. Don Padgett II, initially of Firestone fame and now here as President, played an instrumental role in pushing the resort in this direction.

There has been much discussion about this project within this Discussion Group and the purpose of this Feature Interview with the man himself is to help set the record straight with good solid facts.

Hope you enjoy it! Pinehurst has always been an anchor in the American golf scene and once again it lives up to - and perhaps even exceeds - such lofty expectations.

Cheers,

PS All photographs contained in this Feature Interview are courtesy of George Waters who was part of the Coore & Crenshaw team that worked on this project.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:02:37 PM by Ran Morrissett »

brad_miller

Re: Feature Interview with Don Padgett II on Pinehurst #2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:31:02 PM »
Ran,

Wonderful intro and great video and interview, thank you to the ownership at Pinehurst for making the effort to do what they have done. LACC, now this, at least a few folks GET IT!

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
Ran,

Great interview, and the multimedia approach is great. I hope to see more of it. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more comments about this piece since most of the stuff shown has not been seen yet.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »
Many thanks to Mr. Padgett for the thorough answers, what a delight to read.

The Feature Interviews continue to amaze.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »
A fine timely interview!   THANKS RAN!

Was Don there in the Diamondhead era?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
Great interview. It's nice to get some inside information on the restoration as well as some new pictures of the course. I can't wait to make it down there and see it. A friend played it last weekend and said the work done is fantastic and the course is much better for it.
H.P.S.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »
Ran,

Thanks for a very informative overview of the changes at Pinehurst. While still in a tender state when I viewed them this past November, it was obvious that from both a maintenance efficiency and strategic perspective, major improvements should result.

I'm still not sure about that back-to-back U.S. Open call, though there will be a little recovery time. Let's hope the weather cooperates and they can present both in the manner that wonderful venue deserves.

The more time I've spent in the Pinehurst area, the more I've appreciated the many, impressive golf courses there and just the overall charm of the town and outlying community. I look forward to the next Symposium this November.

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Ran:

This meets the gold standard.  Thanks for such an insightful and creative look at what's going on at #2.

WW

Will Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:15:34 PM »
Great stuff, Ran and stellar photos, George.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back