News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: Eighteen Bunkers
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
A clever super is like a clever chef, best saved for special occasions.

And both are clever enough to know when to use it.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
You're the designer of a new golf course on terrain of your choosing. The owner/client has given you the limitation that the golf course can only contain eighteen discrete bunkers; the size and location of which are under your complete control. Construction cost is not a limiting factor but the owner wants green fees to be under $100 during the peak season weekend rate (so don't get too out of hand with size).

I think that the limit of 18 bunkers for an entire course would not be a problem whatsoever on a suitable piece of links land.  There are a number of great links courses with very few bunkers.  One of my favourites is Machrie which has around 10 bunkers, 3 of which are on one par three.   Another favourite is Noordvijke in Holland.

Some other great courses have more than 18 bunkers but less than 18 that come into play for the huge majority of golfers.  The obvious example here is TOC but also Ballybunion and Paraparaumu Beach.

Designing an inland course with less than 18 bunkers would be a much more difficult exercise!!  I would look for features such as heather (eg Sunningdale New), shutes off the tee (eg Baltusrol),  narrow fairways without fairway bunkers (eg Olympic) and undulation (eg 10 Shinnecock) to fill the void.   I also would limit the amount of water applied to the course!  As for designing green complexes without bunkers on an inland course - that can wait until a rainy day...
@Pure_Golf

Grant Saunders

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 03:07:06 AM »
I would put one in a pratice area then use the money saved by not building anymore to invest in useful things like more handwatering valves and well designed trailed hose reels.

Alternatively the money can be used to purchase a greater variety of decompaction and grooming equipment.

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »
I would put one in a pratice area then use the money saved by not building anymore to invest in useful things like more handwatering valves and well designed trailed hose reels.

Alternatively the money can be used to purchase a greater variety of decompaction and grooming equipment.

or sell off 9 holes, then you could really get some fancy equipment.......
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Johnson

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Do grass bunkers count?   I think they are the most underused golf course element.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »

Take something from TOC.No bunkers on 1 or 18.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back