News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt MacIver

Re: Unique services at Private Clubs
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2015, 11:01:24 PM »
Cool inexpensive perks I've seen are water coolers filled with lemonade every 4 holes and a fresh warm batch of cookies outside the turnhouse.

I've heard tell of on-sight dry cleaners somewhere but never seen it.

Wi-Fi used to make the list but now it's standard.

One club ows a mini-bus and buys tickets to concerts and footballs games and shuttles members to and fro, for a price, with a keg on-board. Members can also reserve the bus when not in use as their personal shuttle for group parties.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2015, 07:27:05 AM »
A unique service I experienced a few weeks ago at a club in Tampa went like this " I am sorry, we don't serve breakfast on Thursday mornings. What do you guys want?" Out came the cook no less and breakfast was served. The unique service being service. Great way to start a great day at a finely run club.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
Wi-Fi used to make the list but now it's standard.

Actually, there are a number of clubs that pride themselves by offering the "service" of not permitting cell or digital devices of any kind.

WW

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
Patrick at PV we go from the security hut direct to the cottage without passing go, first interaction with the staff is usually trying to get the barman to put a little more tonic in the gin before dinner  ;)

I recall a starter at CPC but it was so busy they needed one, I'm not joking either.

CGC does have a swimming pool hidden away, no need for a starter though as they only get 5 or 6 foursomes a day.
Cave Nil Vino

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
I have basically been a GM since 1997 and have been going on a once per year
pretty swanky golf trip every May.  I am not sure this counts... but the single,
most important, most cherished "unique aspect" is, by and far, an empty golf course.

We experienced this at nice private facilities like Crystal Downs, Black Diamond, Kingsley, Roaring Gap, Old Town.
We experienced this at nice public facilities like Indian Wells, Whistling Straits Irish, We Ko Pa, Broadmoor.

The ultimate private experience was Kingsley.  The ultimate public experience was Primland.

Other courses had more history or were in better condition.  But the fact we had those places to ourselves really
made each visit special.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »

Patrick at PV we go from the security hut direct to the cottage without passing go, first interaction with the staff is usually trying to get the barman to put a little more tonic in the gin before dinner  ;)

Then you must be getting there well a day in advance of your tee time, when your priorities are rearranged. ;D

Eventually, you have to have your bags brought to the "marshalling area" for caddy assignment, etc., etc..

I recall a starter at CPC but it was so busy they needed one, I'm not joking either.

Mark, with the extremely limited amount of unaccompanied guest play at CPC, the cook, bottle washer and lockerman could probably take care of guest services.

You can't compare the services offered at a club with a limited guest policy to one where the club has an inordinate amount of guests, accompanied and unaccompanied. 

CGC does have a swimming pool hidden away, no need for a starter though as they only get 5 or 6 foursomes a day.

And, remind me again, how large/small is their membership and how easy is it to gain access ? ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »
Patrick we arrived at CPC at 7.15 for a 7.30 kick off and teed off at 8.30, there were a group of 24 ahead of us. Spent 40 minutes waiting on the 16th tee, there are however fewer better places on the planet to spend 40 minutes!

On one of my CGC visits the host apologised for the course being so busy around 33% of the membership were playing on a Saturday morning.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
Has anyone mentioned all the free, delicious popcorn you can eat? As a popcorn connoisseur, this appeals to me greatly.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2015, 03:22:47 PM »

Patrick we arrived at CPC at 7.15 for a 7.30 kick off and teed off at 8.30, there were a group of 24 ahead of us. Spent 40 minutes waiting on the 16th tee, there are however fewer better places on the planet to spend 40 minutes!

With all that time, did you venture back up to the left side tee on # 15 ?
Not a bad view from there either.

On one of my CGC visits the host apologised for the course being so busy around 33% of the membership were playing on a Saturday morning.

If I lived on the Peninsula and I was a member of CPC, that's where I'd be on Saturday morning.

It's one of the most majestic, architecturally exceptional courses in all of golf.

I'm surprised 75 % of the membership wasn't playing

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »
Patrick we arrived at CPC at 7.15 for a 7.30 kick off and teed off at 8.30, there were a group of 24 ahead of us.

That's very unusual especially that early. CPC only has 4 unaccompanied times per day and they are between 8 and 8:30. For a group that large, a few members must coordinate.

You could have gone to the 10th hole which is a nice change and playing the 15th and 16th that early is an interesting experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back