News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Wellmon

Re: Unique services at Private Clubs
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »
per Wikipedia

Auto detailing (UK: Car valeting), is the performance of an extremely thorough cleaning, polishing and waxing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail.

mike_beene

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 11:31:02 PM »
club man aftershave.Add a push cart and a breakfast buffet and I am a happy camper.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »
Thanks Bruce. How bout a good shoe shine?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 11:35:03 PM »

So, I wanted to share something that our club, which is family oriented (golf, tennis, fitness, dining) does that I find faciniating. It operates a very robust "kids club". On Friday and Saturday nights, kids are fed and entertained from 6p - 11p in an incredible 100' x 200' space filled with video games,  Indoor Basketball, toys, pool table, etc... Parents either dine in the onsite restaurants or go off campus to dinner or parties.

Having 2 daughters, I think this is a wonderful serivce to offer to families. And with families I think a consistent level of personable, friendly service is a must. But the club that is my ideal club (walking anytime, no tee times) is not what my wife or family would consider ideal. 

Bruce, there are many country clubs out there that work hard to meet both your expectations and your family's.  At my club, no tee times, walking anytime, a mix of carts and walkers.  And Friday night baby sitting and Sunday family BBQ's.  Keep looking!

Jordan Caron

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:54:39 PM »

So, I wanted to share something that our club, which is family oriented (golf, tennis, fitness, dining) does that I find faciniating. It operates a very robust "kids club". On Friday and Saturday nights, kids are fed and entertained from 6p - 11p in an incredible 100' x 200' space filled with video games,  Indoor Basketball, toys, pool table, etc... Parents either dine in the onsite restaurants or go off campus to dinner or parties.

Having 2 daughters, I think this is a wonderful serivce to offer to families. And with families I think a consistent level of personable, friendly service is a must. But the club that is my ideal club (walking anytime, no tee times) is not what my wife or family would consider ideal.

Having said that,
Sage Valley had chilled towels on the course in the summer heat.
Dormie's pro saw us off on #1 tee, later during the round, and afterwards.
Cherokee Plantation details your car also.
However, as someone else said, I think the pro taking your pic on #1 tee at Primland, and getting it at the day's end is pretty cool.

I don't know if this is common practice all over Europe but while playing Portugal public courses have people do this but they of course want money after the round.  For some guests giving them a memento like a neatly presented picture, rather than a bag tag, is different and more personable.

I really like the idea of the Golf Professionals starting and seeing the members more out on the course.  Generally Golf Professionals have very engaging personalities and love socializing so on the course interacting with members is the place they're needed.  Now days they spend too much time on a computer and and working on budgets.  

I think this is one of the most interesting topics we have touched on.
And it in some ways ties in with the "two clubs" thread from the past. Do you have, in an ideal world, one club for pure golf/no tee times needed and a second club for the dining/ pool/clubhouse/golf that is perhaps enjoyed more by the entire family?

I'll be sure to read the thread.  Thanks for your input Chip, Bruce and everyone else.  However, I'm trying to over come a gambling problem so it's hard to hear all this bookie talk, thanks guys!  Just joking, no itch for me!  Having a bookie at the course does remind of the scene in Rounders were they hit up the Golf Pro game!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:58:59 PM by Jordan Caron »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:15 AM »
not a fan of over-service... I care about the golf.

Having to go through 2 check point at dundonald was a little too much for me.. but once you're in, the service is unbelievable

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:57 AM »
An anecdote that relates to this discussion:

My father and I played Bulls Bay a few weeks ago on a very cold, rainy day.  We were about the only guys crazy enough to play that day, but when we were finished freezing our butts off and went for a bite to eat (the Italian chicken sandwich was the best thing I've ever eaten at a golf course, by the way), there were about half a dozen members eating as well, having a drink, watching TV.  It's always seemed to be a high compliment to a club that one would want to go there just to hang out and not even play golf.

About 36 hours after we left Bulls Bay, my father and I realized we had left our golf shoes in the locker room.  Dad emailed his contact Terry Florence to inquire about collecting them.  When he did, a few days later, a member we had said hello to in passing on the day we played stoppe my father and greeted him again, remembering.  When my father collected our shoes, they had bee thoroughly cleaned, re-spiked, and even re-laced!

If a club's staff is kind enough to treat a couple of guests that well, one can only imagine how great they are to their members.  That's the type of club I'd love to be a part of someday.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Young

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:50 AM »
I like the really nice wide screen LED TV's some of the better clubs have above the urinals....and at some of the really good ones you can take a hand full of disposable razors, toothbrushes, hair spray and deodorant....it's really nice when you are an out of town guest...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mark McKeever

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 10:17:26 AM »
not a fan of over-service... I care about the golf.

Agreed Phillip.  I like a simple clubhouse that hasnt been molested or overdone.  Simple and old school are winners for me. 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Lester George

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »
Jeff,

The detailing of cars at Kinloch is just one of many things that make that club special.  They also have an excellent burger.

Lester

C. Squier

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
The original poster asked about unique services given by clubs that can "retain and attract new members".  Subsequently, most of the replies are about services that a guest was bowled over by.  My question is, do these things really matter to a member?  I know for sure, the dues I send in to my clubs aren't because of a mango towel at the turn, car wash or the occassional re-softspiking of my shoes.  Those are all nice, but does anyone really think that will "retain" a member?  I don't.  

IMO, if you want service to make members comfortable, start with a guy in the lockerroom who has (or acts) like he has more tenure on the job than Moses.  Followed up by a bartender in the grill that knows EVERYONE's name, including guests that you have more than once a year (talk about impressing a guest and making the member feel good).  Top it off with a professional staff that genuinely cares about the status of your game and will ask you how you're hitting it and, even better, walk around the range giving a few minutes of their time for free with a few pointers.  

In my experiences, I've seen a lot of things.  From a locker room that had more varieties of candy or snacks than Willy Wonka to whatever "amenity" sounds the most impressive.  But what impresses me as a member of well regarded clubs and as a guest at others is when the PEOPLE know you at a very relaxed level.  Teach your club's staff to learn member and guests names and you'll have more puffed out chests than you know what to do with.  The rest is unnecessary and doesn't hold much long term value, IMO.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:45:53 AM by Roger Wolfe »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
The original poster asked about unique services given by clubs that can "retain and attract new members".  Subsequently, most of the replies are about services that a guest was bowled over by.  My question is, do these things really matter to a member?  I know for sure, the dues I send in to my clubs aren't because of a mango towel at the turn, car wash or the occassional re-softspiking of my shoes.  Those are all nice, but does anyone really think that will "retain" a member?  I don't.  

IMO, if you want service to make members comfortable, start with a guy in the lockerroom who has (or acts) like he has more tenure on the job than Moses.  Followed up by a bartender in the grill that knows EVERYONE's name, including guests that you have more than once a year (talk about impressing a guest and making the member feel good).  Top it off with a professional staff that genuinely cares about the status of your game and will ask you how you're hitting it and, even better, walk around the range giving a few minutes of their time for free with a few pointers.  

In my experiences, I've seen a lot of things.  From a locker room that had more varieties of candy or snacks than Willy Wonka to whatever "amenity" sounds the most impressive.  But what impresses me as a member of well regarded clubs and as a guest at others is when the PEOPLE know you at a very relaxed level.  Teach your club's staff to learn member and guests names and you'll have more puffed out chests than you know what to do with.  The rest is unnecessary and doesn't hold much long term value, IMO.

Well put Clint!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Dan Boerger

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
Once size certainly does not fit all in this situation. I've seen vibrant and healthy clubs with very limited amenities and struggling clubs with amenities galore. And, of course, examples of the exact opposite exist.

Ones own personal preference don't necessarily translate into a good business model. Local economic, competitive and availability factors all weigh in heavily.

As has been pointed out here, a genuine and tenured staff goes a long way into making any service platform exceptional.

What's the most unique service I've experienced at a private club? Numerous years agoI sat down for lunch pre-round, asked for a menu and the waiter simply said there were no menus but was pretty sure he could accommodate my request. I only ordered chicken salad!

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
Cherokee Plantation washes you vehicle while you're on property. Unfortunately, the entrance to the club is on a dirt road. When I played at Sage Valley, they were willing to fly in or cook ANYTHING-Lobster from Maine, even. Vaquero in Texas has some really neat member services and a neat service at the 10th tee.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JMEvensky

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Jeff,

The detailing of cars at Kinloch is just one of many things that make that club special.  They also have an excellent burger.

Lester

IMO,the best thing you've got going for you at Kinloch is the Head Pro and his staff.It's been 4 or 5 years since I played there and I've forgotten their names,but everyone was great.

When I was curious about the indoor practice building,the guy in charge(?) gave me a complete tour and even offered a set of the plans to help me describe it back home.

A golf club can't really be great without great staff and these guys were exactly who you'd want.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
Vaquero in Texas has some really neat member services and a neat service at the 10th tee.

Anthony,

Care to elaborate on the above said services?

Clint,

Totally agree with you about having genuinely caring staff as well as Golf Professionals willing to give away tips to members and in return receive nothing.

jim_lewis

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
One service that I appreciate (available at most private clubs) is bag storage. When I arrive the bags staff has my clubs ready to go. Even if they are not expecting me, they recognize my car when I drive into the parking lot, and have my clubs ready by the time I arrive at the locker room. When we finish, they clean them and put them away.

Then there are the "free" range balls, cookies, apples, coffee, bandaids, insect spray, sunscreen, Advil, and shoe shines. For me and my guests. Plus guest lockers.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 11:27:11 AM »
I like a roomy crapper where you can have some privacy.  Olympia Fields is the best I've ever seen, and I've seen em all over the world.

C. Squier

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 11:30:14 AM »
I like a roomy crapper where you can have some privacy.  Olympia Fields is the best I've ever seen, and I've seen em all over the world.

North bathroom, 2nd from the right.....don't touch; it's mine. 

C. Squier

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
Clint,

Totally agree with you about having genuinely caring staff as well as Golf Professionals willing to give away tips to members and in return receive nothing.

I'd be willing to bet they book more lessons this way than if they didn't wander the range occassionaly.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2011, 12:49:55 PM »
Clint,

I'd be willing to bet they book more lessons this way than if they didn't wander the range occassionaly.

I have yet to test this theory but I think it would go a long away and would really blow some peoples minds.  I am currently not working at a club but looking to get back in.  When I do, I want to implement a new payment method, only pay what you think I am worth.  While in the industry, I got tired of having to make sure my pricing was consistent with all the other Golf Pro's in the city.  Something needs to change and most Professionals don't have the creativity or the guts to try something like this. 

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
Rather than talk about the service that is done at clubs where money isn't really an object, I'll share this.

I'm a member at a club that is nice, has a fun classic course, a decent clubhouse and few members that are super wealthy.

A year ago, in an attempt to both attract and retain golf members, a decision was made to make carts free for everyone for the entire year.

I am a walker, but I will admit that it is nice to grab a cart for a few holes at night sometimes. And it is also nice to bring guests and not have to pay a cart fee for those who want to ride.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »
Professionals that don't hide behind the counter or in their offices.  I like to see them wander out onto the range or putting green, perhaps offering a quick tip, grimmace or compliment, or maybe have them ask members if they can join them for lunch.  Also, nobody in the joint calls me Mr.

One thought:  I was at Forest Oaks in Greensboro a few years ago and they had an old fashioned swiveling barber chair right in the pro shop.  They had used it for haircuts during the GGO and kept it around.  My uncle ran a barbershop when I was a kid and I loved the atmosphere - the sound of the razor popping the strap, cranking out a Coke for a nickel, reading Field & Stream and playing checkers.  I say cut hair in the men's grill or better yet right in the pro shop (if health codes permit). 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JMEvensky

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
Rather than talk about the service that is done at clubs where money isn't really an object, I'll share this.

I'm a member at a club that is nice, has a fun classic course, a decent clubhouse and few members that are super wealthy.

A year ago, in an attempt to both attract and retain golf members, a decision was made to make carts free for everyone for the entire year.

I am a walker, but I will admit that it is nice to grab a cart for a few holes at night sometimes. And it is also nice to bring guests and not have to pay a cart fee for those who want to ride.

It's not making them free,it's just allowing/forcing everyone to pay an equal share of the annual lease.

We looked at this several times.What we found was that we had such a huge disparity between heavy/light users that it would be a problem.We were worried about the backlash.

I think it's a great idea and the upsides far outweigh the negatives.Anything a club can do to make members come out to play more frequently can only help.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back