News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Caron

Unique services at Private Clubs
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
Given the courses everyone has played on this forum I figured this would be a great place for answers.  Nowadays it seems clubs will have provide some unique & creative services to retain and attract new members.  I have a few ideas for a couple of clubs in the city but I was hoping you could add a few ideas based on the courses you've played.

Essentially, what do the Cypress Points, Oakmonts or Sebonecks do for their members and guests that stand out to you?

Cheers
Jordan
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:04:58 PM by Jordan Caron »

Mac Plumart

Re: Unique services at Private Clubs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
The biggest thing I've seen great courses offer is an escape.  The Golf Club, Sand Hills...true escapes. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
The members of Oakmont are proud of how tough their course is, and how the USGA slows down the greens for the U.S. Open.

Not sure that works for everybody!

Are you talking about special amenities provided by the top clubs beyond their wonderful and exclusive golf courses?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
Jordan,

Not to sound like a curmudgeon, 'cause I'm not. But, in my view, sometimes it's what they don't do for you at a private club. Personally, I most often like to show up at my own pace. Take my own bag from the car. Not be hassled about a shoe-shine in the locker room. Tee off when I feel like it. To me, this is much more comfortable - and private club-like - than dealing with the kids who take your bag, then the guy in the proshop, then the starter, and so on.
jeffmingay.com

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »
I'd agree with Jeff.  They don't do too much, but what they do is done right.  I've found the personnel at the best clubs to be very personable.  They will introduce themselves when you arrive and speak to you by name during your time there while providing you everything you need and nothing you don't want.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
The members of Oakmont are proud of how tough their course is, and how the USGA slows down the greens for the U.S. Open.

Are you talking about special amenities provided by the top clubs beyond their wonderful and exclusive golf courses?
Bill nails it. The clubs you mention above don`t need to do much more than provide you with a parking spot and a locker as long as the golf course is in good condition. What more is really needed?

Jordan Caron

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
Bill,

Amenities or services is really what I am after. By reading the other replies it seems these clubs don't need to do much besides provide great service and enough personal space for the member and their guests to enjoy their experience.

This leads me to believe that I am aiming to high with what the courses I listed.  Instead how about Private clubs that have 500+ playing members?

Thanks for the replies and discussion!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:44:55 PM by Jordan Caron »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »

Bill nails it. The clubs you mention above don`t need to do much more than provide you with a parking spot and a locker as long as the golf course is in good condition. What more is really needed?

Jeff and KK nail it too.  Most good clubs have a terrific level of service that is genuine.  I wouldn't want to be a member at one of the phony or snotty clubs.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
I also lust after a 'golf only, private sanctuary' like Sand Hills, PV, etc...

In today's economy, they're harder and harder to come by. Rumor has it that Old Chatham, here in the Raliegh Durham area and representative of the high-end golf only club, is struggling to fill its membership rolls.

So, I wanted to share something that our club, which is family oriented (golf, tennis, fitness, dining) does that I find faciniating. It operates a very robust "kids club". On Friday and Saturday nights, kids are fed and entertained from 6p - 11p in an incredible 100' x 200' space filled with video games,  Indoor Basketball, toys, pool table, etc... Parents either dine in the onsite restaurants or go off campus to dinner or parties.

In addition, the space is used for day camps during school vacations and summer breaks. The club even owns two brand new mini  school buses that it uses during camps. After play at the pool, golf and tennis coaching, they take the kids out to lunch and to various local attractions (parks, amusement centers, movies, museums, etc...). We have someone who runs it full time, hires in teachers or college students to provide supervision and costs less than a babysitter or other day camps.

Going full circle, is definitely not the golf only sanctuary, but really makes our club attractive to the whole family as well as to new members!

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
A friend played a club here in Virginia and returned to a washed and detailed car.

The first time I played Primland, the head pro walked my partner and me to the first tee and took our photograph.  When we completed our round, we each found an envelope containing a thank you note and a 5x7 of the picture.  I've always remembered that as a unique and generous gesture.

WW

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
Here's one:  pretty much every club that's any good at all has one employee that makes book.     
Absolutely.  A sign of a good one is when they have more cash than most banks stashed away in the locker or grill room for such purposes.

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
Here's one:  pretty much every club that's any good at all has one employee that makes book.     

Definitely a nice service but can be tricky if you had a bad week and are trying to dodge the guy and still play on the weekend.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
Scioto has a barber shop in their locker room area.  I though that was really neat.  I've never seen that before.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Lester George

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »
Wade,

Kinloch details cars while guests play, is that where your friend was?

Lester

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
Can someone explain what "make book" means?

Chris Cupit

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
Scott,

It means they have an on-site bookie who will take wagers.  At least in some instances, it's how some golf pros kept the lights on! :)

As I understand it to "make your book" is to make sure you balance the wagers equally on both sides thus guarranteeing yourself the 10% "vig" or "juice" and preventing you from having to "lay off" any bets because the wagers got too heavy on one side.  Of course, moving the line as needed encourages even betting on both sides. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:04:02 PM by Chris Cupit »

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
Can someone explain what "make book" means?

A bookie.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »

Even though he feigns confrontationality due to his lawyerly ways, I always knew deep down Shiv was a kindred spirit....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Buck Wolter

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
Scott,

It means they have an on-site bookie who will take wagers.  At least in some instances, it's how some golf pros kept the lights on! :)

As I understand it to "make your book" is to make sure you balance the wagers equally on both sides thus guarranteeing yourself the 10% "vig" or "juice" and preventing you from having to "lay off" any bets because the wagers got too heavy on one side.  Of course, moving the line as needed encourages even betting on both sides. 

I think we know who the guy is at Chris' club (insert wink as my java seems broke)
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
I think this is one of the most interesting topics we have touched on.
And it in some ways ties in with the "two clubs" thread from the past. Do you have, in an ideal world, one club for pure golf/no tee times needed and a second club for the dining/ pool/clubhouse/golf that is perhaps enjoyed more by the entire family?

Brett Waters

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
Raleigh Country Club washes your windshield...

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »
Wade,

Kinloch details cars while guests play, is that where your friend was?

Lester

Lester:

It was, indeed.  Made me wish I'd driven that day!

Wade

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

So, I wanted to share something that our club, which is family oriented (golf, tennis, fitness, dining) does that I find faciniating. It operates a very robust "kids club". On Friday and Saturday nights, kids are fed and entertained from 6p - 11p in an incredible 100' x 200' space filled with video games,  Indoor Basketball, toys, pool table, etc... Parents either dine in the onsite restaurants or go off campus to dinner or parties.

Having 2 daughters, I think this is a wonderful serivce to offer to families. And with families I think a consistent level of personable, friendly service is a must. But the club that is my ideal club (walking anytime, no tee times) is not what my wife or family would consider ideal. 

Having said that,
Sage Valley had chilled towels on the course in the summer heat.
Dormie's pro saw us off on #1 tee, later during the round, and afterwards.
Cherokee Plantation details your car also.
However, as someone else said, I think the pro taking your pic on #1 tee at Primland, and getting it at the day's end is pretty cool.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
Hmmm. I know what a bookie is.
What is "car detailing"? I think I'd rather have a good hamburger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back