News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: The Future of Club Pros in the UK
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 08:24:08 AM »
I was thinking the same thing myself.

As I understand it the retainer paid to the average club pro is in the order of £10,000 - £15,0000. For the hours that the pro is expected to provide the services for the club outlined by Jon above, this works out at rather less than the statutory minimum wage.

Just how does a club dispensing with its pro expect to save money? By asking seniors to volunteer their time to man the shop in rota?

It seems to me that a good pro actually provides excellent value for money for his club.

Duncan,

In the long run, for the pros that survive this, it will be a good thing in that clubs will find out "no pro" may cost more than having a pro, particularly when you factor in the inexperience and boneheaded golf related decisions that will be made by administrative nongolf
bureacrats.
I've said all along the pro should be teaching, playing,running tournaments and clubfitting. It's when pros become fancy merchandisers and start wearing shirts and ties (and selling gifts, neckties, and women's accessories) that they allow themselves to be replaced by someone else who will work for a lower wage than a good pro could scour up freelancing teaching, playing, and promoting.
The mediocre pro has become what most people think of as a PGA pro.
For God's sake the bartender can dispense the golf balls and gloves that the players might need-the rest they can go the mall for.
The American PGA doesn't help by giving out 3 "merchandisers of the year" for its' 41 PGA sections as well as 3 more on a national level.
When I hired my assistant I instructed him that it would be his job to deal with the merchandise, explaining to him that I didn't fold shirts---his response?
" Why don't we hang them?"
needless to say he got the job, and now he doesn't fold shirts either (and someone else hangs them)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
Jeff, Adrian,

yes you can put some of this behind the bar but do the calculations. 9 am till 6pm x 364 (christmas day off) gives 3276 hours club pays minimum wage at ??? £5.93 + 19'426.68 + all the other costs. Seems to me the pro is the cheapest option. I also think that the the clubs which could do without a pro probably do not have one.

Seems to me more likely that clubs might intergrate the bar into the proshop and get rid of the bar staff :-) (damn icons not working)

Jon

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
Remedy Oak has a good system made possible by a well designed new clubhouse. The professional area is the reception immediately you walk into the clubhouse, the professional staff act as golf professionals, reception & security. I have no doubt the interaction between members, guests and the professional staff plus the location of the shop also boosts sales.

At least one world famous Irish club realised one of their greatest assets was the club logo for whih they received no commission for it's use by the pro on clothing. I believe they asked the pro to pay them around 100 000 euro pa for the honour of running the shop. He naturally declined as did the assistant. The club now runs the shop and makes far more than 100 000 profit from the pro shop operation, obviously an exception rather than the rule.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:44:22 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »
Mark,

yes you are correct, pro shops clearing 100,000 profit are very few and far between. I would think many clubs should look at the Remedy Oak system and adopt it if they can.

Jon

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
Jon as I say a world class venue where every visitor buys something with a logo.
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »
Mark as I say few and far between

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back