GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Oldest Golf Courses In America

<< < (5/8) > >>

john stiles:
Regarding a previous post,  I have read elsewhere that a golf club was formed in Charleston, SC in 1786 and a golf club formed in Savannah, GA in 1794. The clubs dissolved some 20 years later at about the same time.  As I remember, they have pretty much nailed down the dates from local accounts such as newspapers and shipping records.

Also,  I would like to add that  Palmetto Golf Club  (Aiken, SC) was founded in  1892  and still exists today on the same property although expanded from the original 3 or 4 hole course.

A_Clay_Man:
David Normoyle- Del Monte (old is thrown in by the locals) has it's start-up in '97 and celebrated it's centenial with a full aray of hyperbole including the not to miss Johnny Miller clinic.

Patrick Hitt:
Evan,
Mabye Janesville could host a small midwest GCA outing. Not too far from Iowa or Chicago. I'm not sure if the course is long enough for Paul or Shivas but we could make them play with persimmon and balata.  ;)

Evan Fleisher:
Dave,

I am a "former" Chicagoan...moved out here to Dubuque a little over three years ago.  Lived in Chicago two separate times (Willowbrook in 1992, Oak Park from 1995-1996, and Bloomingdale from 1997-1998...our first house within walking distance to Medinah!!!).  Dubuque is about 3 hours away from Chicago due West.

Patrick (and other area golfers),

A GCA outing at Janesville would/could be very cool, hopefully we can pull something off this Spring/Summer.  It would definitely be an easy drive for me, Dick, and all you Chicago bretheren.  At 6,347 it does play kind of short...so maybe we make those guys play left-handed or something ???  ;D  I'd be happy to play it left-handed.

Here is a nice link to their website: http://www.jcc1894.com/index2.html

Slag_Bandoon:
Concerning western North America according to Jeff Shelley, a golf historian/chronicler etc. :

Unsubstantiated rumors of golf at Fort Nisqually southwest of Tacoma could have been played in the 1840's; it was a Hudson's Bay Company area and this company was of Scottish origin.  Imagination takes over from there.
  Founded in 1894, Tacoma Country & Golf Club (not course) is the oldest continuously running American club west of the Mississipeepeei.

Gearhart is the oldest continuosly operated golf course west of the Misipee. Still going strong and is a very fun course.

The club first formed in the Pacific Northwest was British Columbia's 'Vancouver Country Club' in 1892.  That same year, Gearhart Golf Links in Oregon began with three holes.  Legend has it that several Scotsmen laid out four holes on Gearhart's dunes as far back as the 1880's.  This is where I (meaning me) embellish.->

These Scotsmen had a full back 14 holes but since their whisky still operation was there they had to keep it quiet and thus there was no "writin'" or "minutes o' the meetin'".    There was one Irishman but they bannished him to Bandon (because he put an 'e' in whisky on the whisky label) where he quickly imported and grew gorse to prepare the land for future golf possibilities.  Now, every year, they dig him up and shoot him twice to make sure he's dead, then rebury him for next year's celebration.  (No one likes gorse except bunnies and masochists.)   Later, in California's incessent chasing of wanting to be like Oregon,  that state began selling catsup and oranges to finance golf courses but they ruint the whole idea of golf by putting microfreeways on all their courses.             This is all documented fact (in my world).  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version