GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Oldest Golf Courses In America

(1/8) > >>

Derek_L:
I recently read a small blurp in a Minneapolis paper regarding the Town and Country Club in St. Paul, MN as being the nation's 2nd oldest course in continuous use.  Now I know the original Oakhurst Links on the east coast, I beleive maybe Massachusetts or New Hampshire has been called the oldest club in America, but I also know that Shinnecock is right up there in age, plus there are several Canadian courses that are in the late 1800's.  Not only have I read Oakhurst being the oldest, but I have read other's being the oldest too. Now back to the Town and Country Club, it was supposed founded in 1888, tomorrow or today, February 13, but that is not important.  Somewhere I read that Tillie did some design work on the Town and Country Club, now I know he didn't do the original design, as he was only 14 at the time.  So what is going on with so many courses claming they are the oldest?

Derek L ???

Derek_L:
Shinnecock opened in 1931 I beleive, so it is not near one of the oldest.  Town and Country opened in 1893 and the Chicago Golf Club or Country Club opened in 1894.

Joel_Stewart:
Chicago is the first 18 hole course in the USA thus the oldest? Are the others originally 9 hole courses?

APBernstein:
Oakhurst Links, located in White Sulpher Springs, WV (the same town as The Greenbrier), is/was the first established golf club in the United States in 1884.  The course has been restored to the 1884 state and is played with equipment that was used at that time.  Truely a great experience.

Paul Richards:
Oakhurst Links is one of the truly great golf experiences
available!

Playing with that old equipment is just a hoot!

If you ever get near the Greenbrier, this is a must-see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version