News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Cahill

Palmer Private hasn't gotten the memo
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
Watching the Bob Hope and the wall to wall green on the Palmer Private is wince inducing.  Wow, I wonder what their water bills are?  I guess they haven't embraced the "brown is good" ideal.  The Nicklaus Private seems to show some restraint in the rough areas.  The Palmer Private makes Augusta look austere...
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

C. Squier

Re: Palmer Private hasn't gotten the memo
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
FIRMNESS shows the culture of the course.....color w/ firmness just proves how much money they have.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:58:29 AM »
Every year I watch this event on TV and I can never get over that cement-banked canal. Whatever possessed anybody to build a hazard like that is anybody's guess.

It looks even worse when they try to put rocks over the cement.

Possibly the ugliest water hazard in the world.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:46:58 AM »
The canal was there for decades before the course. Part of the irrigation system for ag that brings water from the Colorado river to the valley. Just down stream from PGA west is a storage reservoir that also doubles as a small recreation lake. I'm sure the Coachella Valley water district owns (or has a long term easement) the small piece of land the canal sits on. The designers had no choice but to work with the canal if they wanted a course on that land.

As far as the wall to wall overseed, its been done that way on most valley courses for years now and water has been pretty cheap although that is changing. In the Coachella valley golf maintenance is all about who can pimp out their course the most. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
FIRMNESS shows the culture of the course.....color w/ firmness just proves how much money they have.

Or it's just rye grass that is electric green
it's the freaking desert, it's winter ,and the members want to play off grass

same as Augusta National-every year we read how overwatered it is
rye grass is dark green-it can still play firm
go play a non overseeded course in Augusta in Jan-April and see how it compares-particularly if it's a busy club
dormant, brown, AND soft with no grass because there's no growth to support the traffic
ANGC isn't open after May 15 so they get a few months to shine
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
Jeff has a good point. There's brown and firm in the summer and then there brown with remnants of every rainfall since November still squishing around under there in February. Our club doesn't overseed and I'm glad we don't as the loss to transition twice a year is so bad. But by the time May rolls around it sure is nice to hit shots and feel turf under your 7-iron instead of wet, dormant, beat-down grass from last year.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
Jeff has a good point. There's brown and firm in the summer and then there brown with remnants of every rainfall since November still squishing around under there in February. Our club doesn't overseed and I'm glad we don't as the loss to transition twice a year is so bad. But by the time May rolls around it sure is nice to hit shots and feel turf under your 7-iron instead of wet, dormant, beat-down grass from last year.

brent is correct
loss to transition is the reason not to overseed
there's zero problem with loss to transition at AGNC (closed) and most desert courses have little to no traffic in the summer
it's all about when you want to shine-or as Brent sees it, the best mix for year round acceptable conditions
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back