News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Asbrock

Crosscreek (Temecula) under new managment
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:54:47 PM »
CrossCreek Golf Club Under New Management

Effective Saturday, December 11th, LMT Management assumed operations of CrossCreek Golf Club.  You may be familiar with the other clubs they operate, "The Golf Clubs of California".

What does this mean for you, the CrossCreek Patron?  Simply more great golf!  In the coming weeks we will be focusing on cleaning up the property and returning it to its original state.  The golf course is currently in quite good shape, and the greens are rolling great.  The Rye-Grass (which is the primary grass) thrives in the cooler weather which is upon us.  Come see the progress we have made.  I promise you will not be disappointed!

Thoughts???????????? What changes would you suggest?

Michael Dugger

Re: Crosscreek (Temecula) under new managment
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
Are you going to redesign some of the course?

That would help...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Bill Seitz

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »
Have they paved the road into the club yet?  Last time I played down there, I think I ran over a rock on the way in that put a hole in a hose and screwed up the air conditioning in my parents' car. 

As for the course, I've only played it twice.  I think some of the par 3s are interesting with the creek.  It's not on my list of greatest courses in Southern California or anything, but it was fun to play. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »
The only reason I played it last time was because it was 60% off. That was good value.

I didn't have much of a problem with the conditioning of the course when I was there (Oct/Nov). The fairways might've been a little soft but everything else was pretty good. Aside from some major changes the aesthetics of the bunkering could be greatly improved and add a lot to the course. Also getting rid of the pond on the 6th would be paramount. It's blind, and combined with a grassed over fairway bunker that penalizes any drive hit over 270 it's a stupid driving hole.

Looking forward to any and all changes!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:11:57 PM »
In my eye the biggest abomination is the 18th hole.  Talk about leaving a course with a poopy taste in your mouth.  Forced carry, really?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
CrossCreek Golf Club Under New Management

Effective Saturday, December 11th, LMT Management assumed operations of CrossCreek Golf Club.  You may be familiar with the other clubs they operate, "The Golf Clubs of California".

What does this mean for you, the CrossCreek Patron?  Simply more great golf!  In the coming weeks we will be focusing on cleaning up the property and returning it to its original state.  The golf course is currently in quite good shape, and the greens are rolling great.  The Rye-Grass (which is the primary grass) thrives in the cooler weather which is upon us.  Come see the progress we have made.  I promise you will not be disappointed!

Probably not using this site to promote your play or company.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »
I'd suggest not adding more dogshit courses to their portfolio.

Cross Creek is terrible, the definition of a missed opportunity.

The other one down in Fallbrook is even worse.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
Isn't this the property that Yancey Beamer told me years ago was a great site for a golf course?  And where one of Art Hills' associates built a minimalist design?  [I read it in some magazine somewhere.]

David_Elvins

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »

I would start by removing this photo from the website and replacing it with somethign that would make people want to play the course.

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:49:47 PM »
This is the sixth. It might be considered a minimalist effort, if only for an Art Hills course. You can see the grass bunker in the middle of the fairway. Just left of it is the blind pond which looks like a bunker from the tee.

My final thought for the round was that this property was special, the course was not. The condition of the course won't make any difference to me unless there are some more serious changes.

One of the better holes on the course is the 3rd, unfortunately this isn't the only time on the course there is a 190 yard par 3 over a hazard with two fronting bunkers... The 12th is almost identical, unfortunately I skipped the 12th to get ahead of the 5-some in front of me. Here's the 3rd:

Finally, a picture of the 13th which Mr. Elvins has posted, looking back from the green towards the fairway(s):

It's a very stupid hole, but not a standout unfortunately. I played it 3I, 5W. I even had the fortune of playing very well for the round, but that didn't prevent any disappointment I still had the design of the course.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:53:16 PM by Alex Miller »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »

I would start by removing this photo from the website and replacing it with somethign that would make people want to play the course.

David
What is wrong with this picture/hole?
It looks a bit Mike Youngish.
My favorite thing at Longshadow was the bunker on 17 coupled with the neat green.
The shaping in the foreground of the picture looks nice.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:21 PM »
Here's what's wrong with this hole:

It's the worst kind of target golf. A forced layup on what many would call the most difficult hole on the course. Also the fairway bunkers serve no purpose whatsoever. Furthermore, the line I drew is 260 yards, which from the elevated tee is a great risk/reward carry distance. It'd be a much better hole with an alternate fairway starting on the end of the line feeding down to the valley below the green.

David_Elvins

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 12:23:26 AM »
David
What is wrong with this picture/hole?
It looks a bit Mike Youngish.
My favorite thing at Longshadow was the bunker on 17 coupled with the neat green.
The shaping in the foreground of the picture looks nice.
Cheers
Hi Mike,

I really don't like the look of the straight cart path or the way it intrudes on the playing area.  Also, I don't like the way the trees crowd the hole from the right.  I don't envy the player who can't reach the green on this shot.  The playing area looks very narrow.   With the vast scenery in the background a more spacious hole would fit a lot better, IMO. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Pat Burke

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 12:27:19 AM »
Crosscreek is a huge case of missed opportunity.
A beautiful valley,  some really cool greensites and small creeks.
Ran out of money in construction and many short cuts were taken from there.
Some cool holes, and some really bad ones on the back nine.
many forced layups off the tee, and often in crap condition.

many will wonder about not using the land better around the course, but much of it was owned by another party
and unable to be used

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 01:07:19 AM »
Thank you for the aerial Alex.
I didn't notice the earlier picture either.
From above it sure looks like the green should be where that little fairway bit is located.
And the fwy bunker should be on the opp side for looks and utilize the native area as the risk reward side.

David
I agree with the cart and tree stuff.
I've seen much more offending stuff before and was a little surprised given your tagline.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
I've seen much more offending stuff before and was a little surprised given your tagline.

Sorry I have not seen any of Mike's work.  I started the Mike Young Society  a couple of years ago in the hope that, when a Mike Young designed course was looking to do restoration/renovation work, they would come to me for advice on an architect that would faithfully restore his work.  I could then recommend an architect and take a percentage of the design fee.  Unfortunately, no one has called, I assume due to the downturn in the economy.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
Tom,
Great site.
Lost opportunity.
Yancey

rjsimper

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
The course is not entirely absent of merit. Mr. Spaulding is simply being his typical drama queen self.

It is absolutely a missed opportunity. No question. It could have been great.

6 had the potential to be a fantastic, diagonal tee shot with a hanging green. But it's not.
16, to me, is a semi-abomination.

I've played the course 15 times or so, back when the conditions were firm/fast and the greens were great. I have heard conditions have been terrible in recent years.

When it was firm and fast, you had to aim into the left rough on 16 to hold the fairway.
The 17th tee and 18th tee are right next to one another (oops...)
18 is indeed pretty terrible.
And 13 is also terrible. It is a 3i-7i as previously stated. It's straight out of Coyote Hills.

I think the par 3s are repetitive, but not individually bad.

It ain't worth what they used to charge. It ain't worth traveling for. But all things being equal, I'd probably rather play here than nearby Redhawk, TCI, and Temeku Hills.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »
I am a drama queen, Yancey's statement is well put.

Simper likey because of Art Hills utilitarian bunkering and lack of frill.

Journey course at Pechanga is better, but Steve Perry's tight leather pants restricted design creativity somewhat.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back