News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Las Vegas golf
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »
I've said many times that WC is sort of like hot and spicy Thai food -- some people can't stomach that and should stick with the more appealing for them steak and potato offerings.

Yep, you've said it a million times on here, and each time you repeat it, it reminds one of how silly it is. Thanks for that.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
George:

It's not silly -- you say similar things over and over again -- I quickly forget what you have provided on countless occasions too.

Wolf Creek will not appeal to the button-down types who prefer classic school design with its trees and ease in walking with no more than 10-20 yards between green(s) and next tee(s). Fair enough -- play elsewhere -- those who enjoy a bit of Indiana Jones adventure golf can play it without being delayed by others.

What's so funny is that people will play overseas and have roads / walls and the like interfere with play and they gush at how brilliant it is. Hilarious contradictions abound.

George Pazin

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
Wolf Creek will not appeal to the button-down types who prefer classic school design with its trees and ease in walking with no more than 10-20 yards between green(s) and next tee(s). Fair enough -- play elsewhere -- those who enjoy a bit of Indiana Jones adventure golf can play it without being delayed by others.

Agreed.

But there is a gigantic gulf between the criticisms offered, and sweeping everything into the "it's Thai food versus steak and potatoes" analogy that you love to trot out. Like it or not, people have valid criticisms of WC beyond simply "it's not classic golf" and the fact that you refuse to acknowledge or address these criticisms does not make them any less valid, no matter how much you care to write it off to simple differences in tastes.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Will MacEwen

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »
I like spicy Thai food, but I do not like bad spicy Thai food. 

One can still argue that WC is not good within its genre.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
George:

"Valid" criticisms ?

OK -- what about my equally "valid" criticisms on those who constantly whine and cry about what they say?

I've alluded to what WC is about numerous times - those stuck in the mud types who piss and moan about WC are so funny when they go overseas and when they encounter roads / walls and other additions to the design -- sing praises to the Almighty on how wonderful such courses are.

WC is not everyone - if you don't like it -- fair enough -- make way for those who do.

Will:

Fair enough -- if you think it's bad provide me your specifics -- more than happy to serve a counterpoint.

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 05:04:43 PM »
George:

"Valid" criticisms ?

OK -- what about my equally "valid" criticisms on those who constantly whine and cry about what they say?

What about your "criticisms" of those...?

They are horseshit, plain and simple. You choose to attack the individual, rather than the substance of his criticism. The fact that you continually label their criticism as whining and crying says everything that needs to be said.

Horseshit.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »
George:

Get another script -- please.

You've said the same tired and predictable things -- when in doubt throw the person under the bus -- I've opined in GREAT DETAIL about Wolf Creek and have acknowledged the flip comments from others. I don't hold seriously your comments that routinely cry and moan without any serious detail. You don't like Wolf Creek -- play elsewhere. You said Black Mesa lacks playability. So be it.

Please come up with a bit more thought than your ending final word in your last post -- your much better than that George.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 11:44:41 PM »
Silverstone closes...

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/silverstone-golf-course-las-vegas-closed-15420.htm

Bummer, one of the better "value" courses in Las Vegas. Tough business these days.

John Percival

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »
Agree full on with Matt, the view from #2 @ WC is awesome.
BE WARNED: it's at least 100 steps up and back, but worth the wheezing. TAKE UR CAMERA
18 just plain sucks. Play it way up as a drivable 4 par
And, if I remember, #8 is not only long, but the green is surrounded on three sides by water (and in a very cool baby 'hole in the wall')
Most important detail of WC - Not a stroke play venue, but an exciting match play track.

Final ? - is the Nicklaus cse way north of town (PGA property) still open or dirt?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back