News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Morgan Stephenson

Las Vegas golf
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »
I'm traveling to Las Vegas at the end of Jan. early Feb. and playing Wolf Creek. I can't wait to see this part of the country as I have never been there. I was checking out Las Vegas on google earth and noticed that on a 1965 aerial there were golf courses where MGM Grand is now located. There are some other courses that do not exist anymore but not sure what is there now. Anyone have any idea about the courses that were sacrificed for development of the "strip"? I  also need to book one more round for Tues. Feb 1st if anyone has suggestions for a course close to the city.

Morgan Stephenson

Matt_Ward

Re: Las Vegas golf
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
Morgan:

Try Boulder Creek -- close to town and very reasonable for rates. 27-holes there.

One other thing -- when going to Wolf Creek be sure to hoof all the way back to the tip tees at the 2nd at WC. I don't expect you to play from there but the view is akin to Dante's infernal abyss. Ditto on the 8th hole -- best bet when playing is from the middle tees unless you have need to donate a few balls ! ;D

Morgan Stephenson

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
Thanks Matt,
  The golf course looks visually stunning. I hope I can take my eyes off of the scenery long enough to hit the ball! I'll look into Boulder Creek as well. Thanks again.

Morgan

Jamie Barber

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:11 PM »
I was checking out Las Vegas on google earth and noticed that on a 1965 aerial there were golf courses where MGM Grand is now located. There are some other courses that do not exist anymore but not sure what is there now. Anyone have any idea about the courses that were sacrificed for development of the "strip"?
I was there on honeymoon and we did the helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon. In the departure lounge at Sundance helicopters they had photos on the wall taken every so many years, and I noticed the same. No idea about the answer though,

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
Of the courses I played there I liked the Wolf Course at Paiute Reservation the best and Primm Valley 2nd taking into account cost and quality.  Primm has two courses, I think I played the Lakes course but the other course is reputed to be as good or better. 

Shadow Creek is a great experience as well but costs an arm and a leg.

Wolf Creek is a very polarizing course.  I dislike it but agree that it is very unique visually and I will be interested in what you think.

Have fun.  The time I was there in January it was in the 20's in the morning but enjoyable weather in the afternoon.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
Paiute Wolf!!! 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
I'm traveling to Las Vegas at the end of Jan. early Feb. and playing Wolf Creek. I can't wait to see this part of the country as I have never been there. I was checking out Las Vegas on google earth and noticed that on a 1965 aerial there were golf courses where MGM Grand is now located. There are some other courses that do not exist anymore but not sure what is there now. Anyone have any idea about the courses that were sacrificed for development of the "strip"? I  also need to book one more round for Tues. Feb 1st if anyone has suggestions for a course close to the city.

Morgan Stephenson

First trip? Are you going with a lady friend? Don't take your clubs, when we went a year and a half ago I didn't take the clubs and was glad. Walked the grounds at The Wynn Golf Club, POS. Spend your money on food and shopping, if you are going by yourself or other guys then spend it on hookers and blow.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »

Morgan Stephenson

First trip? Are you going with a lady friend? Don't take your clubs, when we went a year and a half ago I didn't take the clubs and was glad. Walked the grounds at The Wynn Golf Club, POS. Spend your money on food and shopping, if you are going by yourself or other guys then spend it on hookers and blow.

Sam-I don`t think genius is too strong an adjective to describe the advice you rendered above. Do you own a travel agency? ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
Morgan:

Be forewarned -- when playing Wolf at Paiute the wind speeds can be a quite BREEEEEEEEEZY in the afternoon time period.

Primm is a good choice as others have mentioned.

If you need another option -- heading over to St. George when you finish w Wolf Creek can provide a few other options. I'd recommend Sandy Hollow as a clear cut must play if you have the inclination to head just a further east of Mesquite.

Tom Yost

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 05:55:27 PM »
I was checking out Las Vegas on google earth and noticed that on a 1965 aerial there were golf courses where MGM Grand is now located. There are some other courses that do not exist anymore but not sure what is there now. Anyone have any idea about the courses that were sacrificed for development of the "strip"?

I think the Saraha and the Dunes both had a golf courses right off the strip that are NLE.

I think the Wynn occupies the site of what was the Desert Inn golf club.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:03:14 PM by Tom Yost »

JR Potts

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
I would see if you can get on Southern Highlands.  It's not Shadow Creek.  It's a lot like staying in one of the "other" Vegas hotels, a lot of flash, good fun, not the greatest but it will do just fine.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »
The Dunes Golf Course sat just off I-15, between Tropicana and Flamingo Roads.  Some of it's land was used in constructing New York, New York, City Center, and the Bellagio.  The course you saw where MGM Grand stands used to be the Tropicana Golf Course.  The old Sahara Golf Course is now called the Las Vegas National.

Shadow Creek stands alone at the top of my list here in Las Vegas.  If you are interested in playing DragonRidge (Morrish-Druzisky) while in town, PM me.  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »
I'm headed there tomorrow and I was warned about the wind. I love wind but with cool temps it may be wise to hold off going to the windier sites. Has anyone been to Red Rock?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
Adam:

Given your discriminating tastes I would skip Red Rock. Decent AP design -- I like the private one a tad better but AP has done better design in other locations.

If you decide to head to The Wolf at Paiute -- be prepared -- 5-6 club wind is entirely possible out there -- especially late in the day.

Morgan Stephenson

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone.

Sam,
  I'm going with my wife who is there on business. However, that does sound like good advice if it were a guys' trip :). We're going to the Hoover dam on Sunday and she has a trade show on Mon. and Tues. thus the free time by myself for some golf. Really looking forward to seeing that part of the country.

Morgan

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »

Sounds like the golf version of "Hangover".
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff Wallach

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:42:21 PM »
Southern Highlands is terrific, if you can get on there.  Or Shadow Creek, of course.  Rio Secco's not bad.  Hope that helps.  I've got a post on my website jeffwallach.com about nine of my favorites and individual stories on Shadow and Rio Secco.

I'm actually heading to Vegas this week-- but to play soccer, not golf!  Okay, and maybe poker.

Cheers,
Jeff Wallach

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 11:27:17 PM »
Morgan:

Just realize that a number of Jeff's recommendations require a hefty contribution. If you win at the tables you'll be paying the green fees with your winnings. ;D

Sam Morrow

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »

Morgan Stephenson

Sam-I don`t think genius is too strong an adjective to describe the advice you rendered above. Do you own a travel agency? ;)

if only.......

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
At one time I think Tony Lema owned a bar and maybe a course near where MGM Grand would be today.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
Morgan:

One other thing -- in Mesquite you also have the relatively new layout by Gary Panks called Conestoga Golf Club. Has a few of the same features found at Wolf Creek but the terrain is not as severe or perilous !

Worth checking out when there.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »
Played \Wolf Creek yesterday and it was outstanding, until the 50mph winds made it very difficult.  The 8th is the toughest par 3 anywhere!   Wear sunglasses as there is sand in the air.  Well worth visiting - the course is the designer's first and last course, so we were told.
We also played Badlands in Vegas and it was in good shape, F&F with very fast greens.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Sean Leary

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 12:09:19 PM »
Does Las Vegas have a last minute tee time website, where you can get discounted rates the day before?

I am going with a group of 6-8 in April that could care less about GCA. Need someplace where we can take cabs/shuttle and not overly expensive. Foe example Bali Hai would be fine course wise if it wasn't so expensive...

Richard Choi

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
Sean, the key is to have just one high-roller in your group. If you have that, the hotel will shuttle you anywhere you want and it will be all comped.

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 12:20:07 PM »
Sean, the key is to have just one high-roller in your group. If you have that, the hotel will shuttle you anywhere you want and it will be all comped.

No whales in this group. Work dealio....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back