News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Re: Caledonia Golf in this month's G Digest- "One course-Two Perspectives"
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
I find myself in agreement with both A.G. and Jim.  Whitten's side of the argument should be taken with a lot of skepticism because it is so short and superficial.  But at the same time, it seems a bit heavy-handed in its denouncement of the golf course.  In other words, if he has this opinion of Caledonia I would shudder to see what he really thinks of the rest of the courses in the Grand Strand area!  Furthermore, a lot of Golf Digest's readers are going to take Whitten's quick hit at Caledonia as more gospel than they ought to, especially if they are not familiar with the course and/or the area.

It should also be noted that not a whole lot of people end up paying the full $180-200 to play Caledonia in the peak season due to stay-and-play deals that people often take advantage of.  And for people who own a place down there, buying the $42.50-per-year Myrtle Beach Golf Passport knocks about $70 off the peak-time Caledonia rate (which can apply to three guests of the cardholder).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »
AG,
Again, the whole idea of a "Face-Off" is simple: one side, Protagonist, the other side, Antagonist, and stirring the pot is what such tete-a-tetes are all about.
If all anyone wants is to read another glowing paragraph or two about one of their favorite courses they shouldn't read articles like this, and if we're all better critics who know more than Ron Whitten why care what he says?

Tim,
The only effect that article will have on Caledonia will be positive, controversy piques curiosity.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:21:15 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 10:28:21 AM »
To me, the 9th hole seems much more like an afterthought occurring where it is in the routing.  After playing eight great holes, it feels like you are at the clubhouse, and ready to go out on the back nine.  Oh wait, we've got to put one more hole in here!!  I would think if it were placed out in the middle of the nine, it would not seem so out of place.

I still really enjoy Caledonia, and although I prefer True Blue, both are courses I would seek out every time while in Myrtle Beach.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back