News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

David Fay retiring as USGA Executive Director
« on: December 24, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
After 32 years with the USGA and 21 years as the USGA's Executive Director, David Fay will be retiring effective December 31, 2010. Almost without exception, those I've known who have worked with him and for him believe him to be a remarkably intelligent man. He has seen the USGA through some complicated times in his tenure there and the ship is very much afloat with apparently a good financial 2010 behind it and read to move into the next decade. As he mentioned, with the USGA's flagship event, the US Open, this decade began and ended with the US Open at Pebble Beach and the next one will end with it there. Enjoy your retirement, David, and stay in touch with all of us and with golf.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

archie_struthers

Re: David Fay retiring as USGA Executive Director
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
 ??? ??? ???

Very smart and the USGA prospered during his reign. ...do you think we can be persuaded to run the Fed or Treasury..nope thought not LOL   

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
Mike Butz will be the USGA's acting executive director while the association conducts a national search for a permanent executive director.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
It would be hard to find in the annals of business an instance of a better fit between an organization, an era, and a leader than the USGA andDavid Fay over the last twenty one years.

In a era of prosperity in golf, manic growth in its governing body, and tumult in protecting the game from the onslaught of technology and companies that sought profit at the game's expense, David was a steady and concentrated force. Not publicly gregarious, never seeking to force himself into the forefront, David kept the principals that he cherished as his guides, never the current trend or fashion. He never argued with detractors- his or the USGA's. He always had just the right word, phrase, or sentence that seemed to set the public record straight. One remembers, for example, the press conference at Olympic where USGA President Buzz Taylor made the announcement about the proposed COR limitation on drivers. When the questioning got tough, David "saved the day" by stating that no driver then in use would fail the COR test, and the waters were quieted.

David's staff admired him and enjoyed working for him. Nothing better can be said about a leader.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »
Did the USGA lose a bunch of money on the NYC museum deal?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »
Bill, I'm told that they did, but not by a reliable source.  I have to rate that particular source unreliable until he/she is confirmed by a second person.

Either way, he was a nice man and did a good job in a tough position.  He was a gentleman.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
It would be hard to find in the annals of business an instance of a better fit between an organization, an era, and a leader than the USGA andDavid Fay over the last twenty one years.

This quote is completely laughable.  I'm trying to turn over a new me and adhere to the notion that if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.  What I will say is that on a scale of 1 to 10, I give him a 4 for his 21 year run as an executive director.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 06:58:52 AM »
One remembers, for example, the press conference at Olympic where USGA President Buzz Taylor made the announcement about the proposed COR limitation on drivers. When the questioning got tough, David "saved the day" by stating that no driver then in use would fail the COR test, and the waters were quieted.

Jim,

This is a golf architecture website, so the question is, "Was quieting the waters at Olympic good for golf course architecture?" One can certainly say that the USGA listened to the lawyers and appeased the manufacturers, but is that a good thing for historic courses ?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
Assessing the term of David Fay will be an interesting one -- no doubt he played a key role in having the association's marquee event go to the mass public courses.

But ...

On the equipment side he permitted / allowed, call it what one may, the ascension of a range of items that have served to cause the massive changes that took place -- not all of them were positive.

For those who say he was subservient to the exec cmte totally would be a gross injustice to his considerable skills behind the scenes. Losing Golf Journal was a loss for what it provided golfers for articles one would never see elesewhere. It has not been successfully replaced since its end.

Leaders, no matter if they had their direct fingerprints involved or not, will always be judged by the collective actions of those around them and what happened during their watch. In that case -- I see his overall impact as a mixed bag.

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 06:31:25 AM »
One could argue he oversaw the commercialization of the USGA.

jim_lewis

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »
Pat Corso, former president of Pinehurst Resort has written an interesting column for the local paper regarding his friend, David Fay with particular emphasis on his relationship with Pinehurst.

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2011/jan/09/pinehurst-owes-much-usgas-fay/
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »
One could argue he oversaw the commercialization of the USGA.

Who would argue that?  It's absoutly true.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back