News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

They labeled themselves "upscale" and charged higher green fees  but never built a clubhouse . The planned adjacent hotel was never built. Another case of the land being more valuable than the golf course. I don't think nearby Saucon Valley needs a fourth course.

I think Ron Jaworski's Golf Management Company should buy the "temporary" club house and move those double wides to Riverwinds in NJ.

I'm on their email list and recently received a 2 for 1 offer. Oh well...

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-center-valley-golf-20111005,0,2927317.story

www.centervalleyclub.com
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:14:44 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Herrmann

Re: Center Valley GC( G. Cornish) in Allentown, PA closes...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
That's a shame.  Unfortunately, I fear many other courses closing.   People just can't find jobs (including my wife).  It's just so sad.

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:35 AM »
not a great loss architecturally though.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Alex - true, but I the quality of architecture may not matter in this economy.  In other words, we may see some real gems closing in the next year or so.    (I have zero info other than the fact that real unemployment is probably between 15-20% and has no signs of improvign at this time)

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:50 AM »
It looks like BOA is very interested in the property:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/breaking-news/index.ssf/2011/10/bank_of_america_mum_about_inte.html

I liked the "linksy" front 9 at CV. The back 9 was mediocre IMO.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

Jim Sherma

I played a fair number of times at Center Valley from the time it opened. Must agree that there is no great loss achitecturaly speaking. On the linksy front nine I always thought that the internal slopes on the greens were too severe in the sense that similar approach shots (5-10 feet apart) could result in dramatically different results based on the slope that it did or did not hit. While I like firmer conditions the slopes that I'm referring to were sharp internal contours that did not play strategically for me in that I could use them as a kick board but were rather random events given the area a lot of them comprised. I'm sure that better golfers who could effectively hit to smaller targets would not be annored by this.

I guess the more generalized question this idea poses is whether or not sharp internal contours create more random outcomes and actually reduce the strategic nature of firm and fast in some ways. It was interesting that when the Nike Tour played there they watered down the greens to the point that this issue was essentially negated.

The back nine was always constrained by the wetlands issues and the resulyting blindness of some of the hazards (left of 10's lz and 17 in general). The practice facility was nice to stop by on my way home from work back when I lived in Bethlehem.

Mark McKeever

Jim,

This was a place that many of the Air Products people/customers liked because of all the bells and whistles.  I agree that there wasnt much architecturally, but it did have an appeal to some.  It always seemed overpriced to me anyway though.

I now live in Bethelehem!  Are you still in the Lehigh Valley?

Mark

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Sherma

Mark - I'm out in Hershey these days. I still travel up to Bethlehem to visit family fairly often. When I'm in town my regular game is out at Green Pond. Good group of guys out there and a decent old Alex Findlay course.

Bill Crane

C V had one of worst finishing holes I have ever played.  The ditch/brook created a forced lay up on the drive and a long shot over water to the green.   Funky wetland circles in the middle of fairways.

Despite that I understand it was owned by a fellow Bucknellian, and I hate to see a course go under.

Lehigh Valley is over built for golf in last 15 years.  Morgan Hill, Riverview,  Southmore and Whitetail right next to each other and many more I have never seen.  Many private and public courses.   Some of the private courses must really be struggling.

Big attraction is low greens fees compared to NJ - even Architects across the river has higher G F than most public access courses.

Still, a great golf community in the valley.

Mark McKeever

Mark - I'm out in Hershey these days. I still travel up to Bethlehem to visit family fairly often. When I'm in town my regular game is out at Green Pond. Good group of guys out there and a decent old Alex Findlay course.

Jim,
Next time your up we can go play Schuylkill.  Its a delightful Ross course.

Mark

Jim Sherma

Mark - Schuylkill is a really great track. I've had the pleasure a handfull of times over the years. Always had fun but also very tough to score on once you start missing greens. Oddly, I can't remember ever playing it in good weather. During one round my tagline for the day was "Schuylkill...where even your good shots don't stay on the green". Greens that always seem to shed my ball included, 2, the putt from above the hole on 4 (:-[), back right on 9, all of 10 and the back shelf on 13. Downwind off the downhill lie with a wedge in the fairway on 8 is a brutal shot as well.

Mark McKeever

The greens are relentless.  That's why I love it!  Prichard has done great work out there and I look forward to the progress they continue to make.  As most know, its a standing offer to come on out and see the place!  Its a classic!

Mark

Dan Herrmann

Mark - I regripped my clubs - got rid of those awful Lamkin white wrap things.  You're in trouble this year!

Now all I need is a Cameron putter, right?  :)

Mark McKeever

Mark - I regripped my clubs - got rid of those awful Lamkin white wrap things.  You're in trouble this year!

Now all I need is a Cameron putter, right?  :)

Just ask Paige and Nancy.  They will find you something you like!  :)  Your wallet may not however....

Let's get out and play soon.  The greens at SCC are already really nice.

Mark

Jay Flemma

I wasn't a huge fan of it either.  Totally schizophrenic course...one side parkland the other side mounds.  It was a pretty little valley to hang out with for the weekend with a beautiful girl, but architecturally low on the Doak scale.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Steve_ Shaffer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back