News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Nice use of drones to promote a cute little golf course....
« on: November 14, 2014, 02:04:12 AM »
http://www.playwildhorse.com/superintendent_news/

I thought I'd share a link to one of my favorite golf courses newly revised website, where they have used a drone to do high definition video flyover and promote their quaint little communities course.  ;D

Under 'membership news' read one of the best superintendent's in the biz's newsletter.  That is how to keep your members informed! 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Frank M

Re: Nice use of drones to promote a cute little golf course....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:05:29 AM »
RJ I took a quick look at the membership fees....can you confirm that's around $600 a season for unlimited golf on a course as great as Wild Horse? I know it's not exactly in population central, but man seeing stuff like that makes me want to move.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
RJ, the link takes us to Josh's blog, not the drone's flyover.

When you were out for the 5th Major, did you happen to ask him why he's chosen Bluegrass, to crowd out the bent on the collars?

Originally, wasn't the expected increase in cost to maintain the collars, with Fescue, justified by the improved playability?

I don't think I read the word "playability", implying that the color of the stand being paramount. Is that your take?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
For what it's worth, the superintendent at Royal St. Davids (Harlech, Wales) has a similar blog concerning the work ongoing and completed at that course. Both the Harlech one and the Wild Horse one are exemplary and must take a great deal of effort to produce.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
Adam, on the link, click the words under the Facebook logo and that takes you to a YouTube video. 

Well explained (at least I think it is well written and understandable_) under membership news, is superintendents blog.  As Josh explains it, he is using a multi year, gradual program of Tenancity, a selective herbicide, to treat collars andforegreens, to kill off the bentgrass infestation and migration from the greens.  The bent is much more thatchy and requires more fert and water than the low-mow dwarf K-blue and ryegrass polystand that is now the turf in the surrounds.  The K-blue and Rye i heartier, and requires less fert and water, and can be maintained firmer than keeping the bent that encroached off the greens.  The fescue that was originally in the surrounds, was the ideal.  But, the micro climate of more relative humidity of the lower elevation than SHGC and DR with heat of Nebraska summer, along with traffic on the course made the management and health of the fescue undesirable to the members.  I think Josh is going for the tradeoff of mid firmness where you still have ball action in the fore green and surrounds, but reducing the lack of consistency in the fescue that was not as maintainable, particularly on their budget. 

There is an interesting debate between the two great supers between WH and SHGC as to fescue maintenance.  Kyle explained the different approaches of use of TGR to promote the fescue by a counter intuitive increased application and the approach Josh takes.  Those two should co-author a professional turfgrass white paper on their different approaches.  Although the management of fescue is now in the rearview mirror for Josh with this decision and multi-year program. 

I probably have it a bit misconscrewged, but Josh looks into GCA now and then, and maybe he'll say something.  Although I doubt that too as it is huntin season...  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back