News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: Who is the Most Beloved Figure in Golf?
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2011, 04:58:42 AM »
I'm still not seeing how Seve meets the definition here.  Remember we are talking about "Most Beloved"....

Not "The baddest BadAzz"
Not "The guy you want to see take down those prick yanks"
Not "The best Swashbuckler"
Not "Most Respected based out of Fear"

Perhaps I've only been exposed to articles that were authored by guys on this side of the pond...

...but its seems like he was very surlish and loved to get people riled up and push thier buttons.  No doubt there is a time and place for that, and certainly he sounds like the kind of guy you absolutely want on your side when you go to war.  But it seems like its more in a Dennis Rodman kind of a way, as opposed to a Magic Johnson kind of a way.

So he may be all that, and a bag of chips...but I'm just not seeing the "Most Beloved" title fit here.
You're still looking at it from a US perspective.  For Europeans here was a genius, capable of taking on and beating the best America had to offer, who oozed charm and charisma.  A man who wore his heart on his sleeve and oozed passion.  Yes he was swashbuckling and that's loveable but he was more than that.  None of those other lines of yours describes how we saw him.  My wife tells me to add that he was enormously sexy, by the way.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:13:45 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2011, 05:14:33 AM »
Arnie and Jack are only for the AARP crowd, of which I'm now of age, and I don't get all misty eyed watching 70 year olds duff it around the par 3 in 3D (although the elevation changes and green contours were pretty cool).  Golf has no most beloved at the moment...That's the problem with golf today! Tiger was never beloved even before becoming a born-again Buddhist Cablanasain.  Mickelson?  Too much of a doofus.  Tom Doak?  Not warm and fuzzy enough. ;)  Crenshaw would have a shot except for those damn Ryder Cup shirts.  We can only hope someone under 30 like McIlroy, Fowler or Ishikawa runs off a string of Majors...

Jud,

It's funny how different players are viewed on either side of the Atlantic. Seve is the perfect example. Your mention of Crenshaw puzzles me.

When Crenshaw was in his prime golfingwise, I always laughed when US commentators called him "Gentle Ben". He certainly never came across on European TV as gentle. My recollection of him is of an angry, moody player that broke clubs now and again. Was that American sarcasm or was he really gentle?

EDIT: I just Googled Crenshaw and it turn out it was sarcasm. All these years, and me thinking it was for real.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:05:04 AM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2011, 06:02:25 AM »
Brian,

I'm 10 years older than you and I got interested in golf about the same time as Seve arrived on the scene, so I suppose I have a rose tinted image of him. I do remember his spats with the European Tour about playing in the US and appearance money, and his omission from the Ryder Cup team.

A flawed character, but boy was he sensational on the golf course. I consider myself lucky to have seen him in action.

I haven't read the biography, but I do recall hearing that he became unbearable to live with when his game fell apart. Is it a good read?

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
Donal, both his autobiograpy and the biography  - Seve: a flawed genius - are great reads. It is worth noting that the biography was supposed to be the ghost written autobiography but he fell out with his journalist mate and he went ahead and wrote it anyway. The biography gives the good and the bad of Seve - it's pretty even handed and the ultimate conclusion is: he is a good and kind man but his inability to ever take advice from anyone or really trust anyone outside his family caused him problems.

Brian,

The thought of reading a golf autobiography written by most of this generation and the previous generation of golfers doesn't appeal to me, but I'd make an exception with Seve.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
Historically, Bobby Jones for me

Mac Plumart

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »
Mark Pritchett...hands down.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
Upon further consideration, at least for last week I nominate Charlie McGoldrick.
Charlie is the long time pro at Enniscrone and coach to GB&I Walker Cupper Niall Kearney.
I first came to know Charlie through a 2002 Feature on Enniscrone by Jeff Rude and Jeff Babineau.
Although intended to be a piece on the club and course, a lot of space was devoted to Charlie.
He is a gentleman in every sense of the word and since I first met him in 2005, he has stood out to me as someone to emulate.
No favor is too big and everyone is treated like someone special.
Charlie was instrumental in the growth of Enniscrone over the last 20 plus years and has been far and away its best ambassador without ever trying to be.  He led a massive Irish contingent at the 2009 Walker Cup and charmed everyone he came into contact with.

In any event, Charlie has been stricken with terminal illnessl.  Last week, Enniscrone and the Irish Branch of the PGA hosted a tournament in his honor.  They hoped to attract 160 golfers over two days. Instead, over 700 turned out from all corners of Ireland, Europe and North America including celebrity athletes and television personalities. Jeff Rude and Jeff Babineau both penned beautiful letters for delivery to Charlie. The tournament was extended to 4 days and the fund raising effort vastly exceeded anything that the committee originally contemplated.

A presentation ceremony and testimonial was held on the final evening of the tournament and, despite being extremely ill, Charlie willed himself to be there.  After kind words from all manner of PGA members, club members etc., Charlie rose and gave a ten minute speech in which he recognized his wife and family and anyone and everyone that had had a positive impact on Enniscrone Golf Club, golf in Ireland and his own life.  When he was finished, there was not a dry eye in the house.

So for one weekend in 2011, a pro at a club in a remote village in the north west of Ireland was the most beloved figure in golf.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:58:12 PM by Rory Connaughton »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »
Rory,

Well said.  Not many eyes will be dry after reading that moving encomium.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
Phil M. always seems to be made fun of here, but at least in Houston during the Shell Houston Open there is no question he is the most popular golfer in the field. It’s not even close. Part of that is the way he plays, he looks like he is trying to hole every shot and does not think twice about taking driver off the deck to reach a par 5. In addition, he makes the effort to connect with the fans. He acknowledges the cheers and is never too busy to bump fists with a kid. After he won this last Sunday he stayed after the trophy presentation to visit with the volunteers and hung around until everyone could get a picture with him. Only after they all started to leave did he leave, and what was awaiting him? Hundreds of kids who wanted an autograph and while we did not stick around to watch, it sure looked like he intended on staying until every kid went home happy. Make fun of him if you want, but from what I see, he is a very genuine guy who understands where he is in the golf world and appreciates those who take the time to staff tournaments and come out to watch him play.

Niall C

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
Tom Watson, any time he's in Scotland.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »

Niall:

You beat me to it!  Watson is a true gentleman and a great champion.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
1.  Freddy
2.  Seve
3.  Tom Watson
4.  Arnie
5.  Lorne
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »

Niall:

You beat me to it!  Watson is a true gentleman and a great champion.

My choice and I would bet Tom Watson would agree is Sandy Tatum who is one of Watson's best friends.  At age 90 he is remarkable.  Read his interviews under the feature interview area to look at his wealth of knowledge.

George Pazin

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
I'm still not seeing how Seve meets the definition here.  Remember we are talking about "Most Beloved"....

Not "The baddest BadAzz"
Not "The guy you want to see take down those prick yanks"
Not "The best Swashbuckler"
Not "Most Respected based out of Fear"

Perhaps I've only been exposed to articles that were authored by guys on this side of the pond...

...but its seems like he was very surlish and loved to get people riled up and push thier buttons.  No doubt there is a time and place for that, and certainly he sounds like the kind of guy you absolutely want on your side when you go to war.  But it seems like its more in a Dennis Rodman kind of a way, as opposed to a Magic Johnson kind of a way.

So he may be all that, and a bag of chips...but I'm just not seeing the "Most Beloved" title fit here.

Man, how can anyone (other than maybe Zinger :)) NOT love Seve? He's much closer to Magic than Rodman, in fact it's insulting to say he's like Rodman.

So he is/was intensely competitive - Arnie wasn't?

Seve connects with people, much like Arnie.

As many? Probably not, but I doubt anyone will ever top Arnie in that respect, from what I've heard/read.

In the same genial manner? No, but hey, it's a big wide world out there, you can be beloved for your passion, even here in the colonies...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
My vote is split evenly between Misters Huntley, Robin and Colton.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

JC Jones

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »
Has anyone mentioned Mike Keiser?  I think he is a big supporter of amateur golf in addition to making some great public (albeit not cheap) golf experiences.

archie_struthers

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2011, 07:10:36 AM »
 :D :) ;D

It's Arnie by a mile !   Seve was a fabulous , swashbuckiling figure and might be a distant second. Our friends across the pond may be able to enlighten us on his esteem back home. 

Palmer is so iconic.....he's Arnie

For all of us who have spent any time with him , he's the real deal ,  not some celluloid creation of a publicity machine.   He treats you the same no matter your station in life, and that's a trait only the greats possess.

William_G

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
Bill Murray has got to be my pick. From Caddyshack to today at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am...he can pretty much do no wrong on a golf course.

Love Bill Murray!
It's all about the golf!

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »
I am sorry guys... it is hands down Fred Couples.

I have NEVER met anyone who did not absolutely love him.  He is an honorary member at our club and
every single demographic is crazy about him from the young scratch golfer who played in college to
the 80 year old guy in the card room to the WIFE of the 65 year old new retiree.

Arnie and Jack are great but they are too old for the new generation.
Phil is beloved by a lot of folks but a good number don't like him.

Freddie spans the "golf lifespan" of just about everyone at our club.  How does that saying go?

"Women want to sleep with him... and men want to be with him."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:02:11 PM by Roger Wolfe »

JC Jones

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »

"Women want to sleep with him... and men want to be him."

The same can be said about Roger Wolfe
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ash Towe

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2011, 03:53:05 AM »
Arnie
Seve
Sir Bob
Those who organize GCA events.
GCA people who through their generosity help others play courses they normally can only dream about.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back