News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Sunday golf at Atlantic City CC: tee times at 11:40 and 11:50 AM
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
Nota bene:  Joe Bausch had 3 birdies to everyone else's 0, if I recall correctly.

Thanks again, Joe.

I also had four 'others'.  :(

I think it might be fun to have those interested in the architectural evolution of ACCC visit HistoricAerials.com and use the "swipe" feature to see the course change.  And can you figure out if any new hole(s) were added w/ Tom D's work!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »
Three birdies for Joe Bausch at Atlantic City Country Club?!?

Ab Smith would have sure been proud!!  ;D

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
The company was great and the course was a delight.  For a site with very little elevation change, there are some terrific green sites, 3 pictured above may be the best. 

If Tom D gets a look at this thread . . . 15-17 was a fund stretch but it felt a little tight in the northwest corner and I would be curious to learn what challenges/considerations went into that stretch.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
Joe,

In reading Rory's comment, do you still have the original drawing of the layout?  I know I have one, but can't seem to find it anywhere. 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
Joe,

In reading Rory's comment, do you still have the original drawing of the layout?  I know I have one, but can't seem to find it anywhere.  

Mark

No previous iterations of the routing (yet), but here it is now:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:39:11 PM by Joe Bausch »

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
BTW, that little corner where 11 and 12 come together is very good.  Love the way the left fairway bunker on 11 serves as a green side bunker on 12 (too bad I got to experience it first hand).

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »
BTW, that little corner where 11 and 12 come together is very good.  Love the way the left fairway bunker on 11 serves as a green side bunker on 12 (too bad I got to experience it first hand).

Based upon the length of some of your drives yesterday, the 3rd Annual ACCC Fall GCA Gathering is going to institute testing for HGH.

;D

Quit laughing Shimony.  You're part of the problem too!

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
Both the fairway and green side bunkers were terrific. The two bunkers that sit on the other side of the carry closer to the green on 14 give you some measure of hope that your ball may have found them if your line is too aggressive from the tee. A very cool short par 4.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
The company was great and the course was a delight.  For a site with very little elevation change, there are some terrific green sites, 3 pictured above may be the best. 

If Tom D gets a look at this thread . . . 15-17 was a fund stretch but it felt a little tight in the northwest corner and I would be curious to learn what challenges/considerations went into that stretch.

Rory,

The third green is left over from the previous version of the course, we changed nothing much there.

16 and 17 were always tight together.  However, the biggest change we made was to dig the wetland between 14 and 15 and design the two holes around it.  Previously, there was a medium length par 4 running north between 13 and 16 which (like 13 and 16) was on very low ground.  The spring high tides usually put this three holes underwater for a while, plus, they were three medium par 4 holes in a row, all downwind.  Digging out the wetland gave us the fill to raise the holes along the shore, and gave us a bunch of credit with the environmental agencies to clear the cat tails along the edge of the marsh, so you could see across to Atlantic City.

It is a bit tight in that space, and we had to shorten the 18th hole a bit so that drives would not endanger the new 14th green ... The previous tee was back by 17 green and the hole was a short par 5.  However all the new holes are good ones.  Also, adding a hole and changing direction on the new 15th allowed us to combine the former 10th through 12th holes into two longer holes ... the eleventh gained tremendously from that change.

Tim Martin

Re: Sunday golf at Atlantic City CC: wrap-up of 2nd annual event
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 08:08:56 PM »
Tom Doak- Were the shared fairway bunkers on holes 3 and 5 there prior to your work? They certainly put a premium on the tee shots for both holes as well as providing a great visual. Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »
Tom Doak- Were the shared fairway bunkers on holes 3 and 5 there prior to your work? They certainly put a premium on the tee shots for both holes as well as providing a great visual. Thanks.

Tim,

There may have been a bit of fairway bunkering between the third and fifth, but nothing like what we built.

Also, the fifth hole was much shorter.  Today's fifth green was the site of the second green previously ; the client asked us to shorten #2 because of the road crossing, so we filled the space with #5.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
Tom,

When you built the new and shorter second, did you rework the contours of the now fifth as well?  Based on the contours of the fifth green as it sits today, coming at it from the second fairway seems like it would have been quite the challenge.

Also, aside from hole 3, what green complexes did you pretty much leave as is?

Thanks!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
Tom

Thanks for the detailed response, I suspect the wetland issues were pretty interesting. You have to be pleased with the way the entire 13-16 stretch.  As for 18, I thought it was a very good finishing hole especially for match play as a good drive could set you up for birdie but the fun is in the approach.  The flag on Sunday was tucked behind the left bunker. Not easy to get close!

Joe - driving distance is directly related to the consumption of baked goods!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
Below is the current routing from above with what I believe is the routing after Flynn's work in the mid-20's.
In the figure:

Blue (current)
Red (after Flynn)

John Shimony

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
Tim, check out HistoricAerials.com and search for zip code 08225.  You can go back to 1995 and see how the course was laid out.  Very interesting. 

Joe and Rory, a driving distance disclaimer, our group played from the white tees until hole 12.  So my near take out of Rory on 7 was aided by a forward tee.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »
with that right to left slope off the right fairway bunkers, I don't know if it would have made a difference John!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 01:03:10 PM »
Good thing I didn't feed you two cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, or some scrapple!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
Last weekend I revisited ACCC with two other GCA'ers.  I took the time to do another photo album, and this one much better than the one from 2009, even though the lighting was good only some of the time:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/AtlanticCityCC/

Please, enjoy!

archie_struthers

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
 8) :D

Tom , many of the locals had such an affinity for the old course that they bemoan any changes to the original . I know your charge was different from the owners at Park Place Entertainment .

I do have a suggestion relative to the 10th hole , where the angle for the hole lends to taking the shortcut down 9 fairway.   How about shortening 10 back to a par four , and making 11 a five par .both could be really interesting . knowing the property quite well ,, this might be a big improvement  to,the back nine.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »

Tom , many of the locals had such an affinity for the old course that they bemoan any changes to the original . I know your charge was different from the owners at Park Place Entertainment .

I do have a suggestion relative to the 10th hole , where the angle for the hole lends to taking the shortcut down 9 fairway.   How about shortening 10 back to a par four , and making 11 a five par .both could be really interesting . knowing the property quite well ,, this might be a big improvement  to,the back nine.

Archie:

That's a good idea for a change.  I've always been bothered by the potential short-cut on #10.  I realized it was going to be a problem before we started construction, and asked to shorten it.  But the plan had been approved by the powers that be in the company, and our project manager [Billy Z] did not want to go back and ask if it was okay to make the change.  He said we would fix it with trees, which of course, we really couldn't.

I would be happy to do that work for them, but I have lost touch with everyone at ACCC now; I don't even know who is operating the course anymore.  Site-mail me and I will try to get in touch with them.  Do you want to project manage the work for me?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »

Interesting idea, Archie.

archie_struthers

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
 ;D 8)

Tom , would be wonderful to help you in any way relative to ACCC.   The new owner is doing some major work to the clubhouse and is making his golf home there .  Will talk to you soon hopefully !   ;D ;D

I have played 11 as a five from a makeshift tee , really fun as the green is super for a risk reward par five . Ten would be easy and way cool , you could build a nest green along the lake .   Love ACCC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back