News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Knollwood (Raynor, A.W.T ) N.Y.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »
Ian,

The dogleg nature of the hole combined with the punchbowl like green would lead me to forgo the "Lion's Mouth" bunker unless you can clearly establish the original location and configuration.

If you have the supporting evidence, evidence that would satisfy challenges from within the membership, then I would consider it.

However, the current hole is not without sufficient challenge, on the drive, approach, recovery and putting.

I would also reflect on the potential impact to scores early in the round.

With OB left on # 1 and the dogleg on # 2, do you want to add a feature that will drive some scores higher.

When Knollwood was built, and until not that long ago, there was no OB left of # 1.

On the other hand, if you reintroduce it, you can always remove it after a year or two of having it in play.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, only membership complaints  ;D

I really like Knollwood, it's a pretty neat course with variety in the terrain and the holes.
Fun to play every day.

And what a finish............ or two  ;D

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »
Not that long ago I found a couple of articles talking about the origins of Knollwood.  Legend has it that a member did the original course, but recent findings would suggest Wille Park Jr was heavily involved. 
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
Joe:

Read Ian's reply no. 1 above. 

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 08:28:13 PM »
Joe:

Read Ian's reply no. 1 above. 

Sven

Thanks, Sven.  I should have seen that.

IMHO, Park probably did all the early design.  I'll try to repost the contemporaneous articles when I'm back at the office.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Michael Felton

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »
The 3rd, 16th and 18th have been completed.
Green expansions on most of the holes too.

They are looking at the remaining bunkers for restoration, potentially this year.

Here is the 3rd

The back of the 3rd / 4th tee

Here is the 16th before

Here is the 16th after

I played here last summer in the Ike qualifier. Started reasonably and was doing okay. Then dropped 6 shots in 2 holes and struggled thereafter. Can't blame the course though. The picture here of the par 3 on the back nine (16 I think) is spot on. Lovely hole, although the green is quite severe. I hit my tee shot on the green about 25 feet away and made a 10 footer for my par. Didn't feel like I hit a bad putt either.

Incidentally, 3, as in the photo here, is a great "short" par 3. Very enjoyable indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and would love to have played it in the dry. Lovely course though, even in the rain.

Oo - and I made 2 on the 8th, my last hole of the day. A great reverse redan. As Pat said, it's a really good golf course and well laid out.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 09:38:24 PM »
Great thread. This is a really underexposed course (at least in my area, where few have heard of it). It deserves a lot more attention. The last hole is an all timer, and it's got several other world class holes. Along with Morris County and Elkridge Club, it's one of the most underrated and pleasantly surprising Raynors that I've played.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back