News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Heading South
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »
One of my reasons for reinventing The Confidential Guide is to tackle my bucket list of places and courses I've always wanted to see someday.

Tonight I am headed to Chile to spend two weeks seeing as much as I can in Chile and Argentina, with Randy Thompson as my guide.  I will also stop through the highest course in the world - La Paz GC in Bolivia - on my way home.  I'm especially looking forward to seeing Llao Llao and the Lake District of Chile.

I doubt I will have much opportunity to peruse GCA while I'm away, but I will miss all my friends here :) and see you in 17 days.

Howard Riefs

Re: Heading South
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
Safe travels. Hopefully, you can meet up with Ricardo if/when you're in Buenos Aires.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55622.0.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
I'll be interested to hear your feedback on the Chilean courses.  I was just there last month for work and it is a beautiful country.  I didn't bring my clubs but apparently from the people that I talked to all of the courses are private and fairly expensive.  I was surprised to hear that they didn't have any public options.  I hope you will share the courses you are visiting and your thoughts. 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
I am sure that this trip had nothing to do with the temperatures in Michigan. Enjoy!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Tom,

Have a great time.

Is there anything you look for, in particular, when you visit a course that you've never seen ?

How much of what you've heard or read about the course influences your focus ?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:27:31 PM »
I get the impression that much or the coastal areas of Chile are like what the Monterey Penn was like 75-100 years ago.  When looking at Google Earth and street views along coastal drive areas, there is a great deal of golfy looking properties.  That is one trip I would love to be on with TD and Randy as a guide.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
Tom, when you're in Chile I hope you have time to visit Pablo Neruda's home in Isla Negra on the Pacific south of Valparaiso.  He was Chile's most famous poet and also a well traveled diplomat who brought home a fabulous collection of souvenirs from all over the world.  The house is built like a ship on the rocks above the surf.   The visit there remains one of my most vivid travel memories. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
I always liked the idea of Chile.

Spending time reading all of Roberto Bolano's prose over the last number of years has just reinforced my desire to visit there someday.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
Tom, when you're in Chile I hope you have time to visit Pablo Neruda's home in Isla Negra on the Pacific south of Valparaiso.  He was Chile's most famous poet and also a well traveled diplomat who brought home a fabulous collection of souvenirs from all over the world.  The house is built like a ship on the rocks above the surf.   The visit there remains one of my most vivid travel memories. 

since this is now sightseeing I hope you have time for MacHu Picchu in Peru

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »
I'm interested to hear what sites you encounter that might make top-notch golf courses. 

Will Lozier

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
A friend who was on a trip as a Nat'l Geographic photographer once said some positive things about an older course in Santiago called Los Leones.  The extent of his golf knowledge is growing up playing Springfield CC - a great Ross - so...this could mean anything!

Don't let your ego get to you when you are bombing drives in La Paz!  ;)

MClutterbuck

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »

Tonight I am headed to Chile to spend two weeks seeing as much as I can in Chile and Argentina, with Randy Thompson as my guide.  I will also stop through the highest course in the world - La Paz GC in Bolivia - on my way home.  I'm especially looking forward to seeing Llao Llao and the Lake District of Chile.

Is Barnbougle the furthest south you have seen golf? You will be slightly south of that, but not as south as the Southernmost course (in Argentina, Ushuaia at -54.8 Latitude).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back