News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

CALDERONE FARMS GC: A Missed Opportunity in Michigan? New
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:58:36 AM »
Bill Newcomb is a fairly well known architect in Michigan as he has several designs in the state which he takes credit for.  He grew up in Indiana and played four years of college golf at the University of Michigan.  Newcomb was a very good amateur golfer who won the 1961 Indiana Open and played in the Masters.  Unusual for an architect, after winning the Michigan Amateur in 1967, Newcomb became the head coach for the Michigan golf team, a position he held for 10 years.   As part of a graduate studies project Newcomb planned and routed Radrick Farms.  His report recommended Pete Dye among others as an architect to build the course and Dye ended up being hired.  This in turn led to Newcomb working with Dye for three years before he struck out on his own in 1968. 

I have played several Newcomb designs which include the Polo Fields, Travis Pointe, Links at Whitmore Lake, Concord Hills, Tanglewood and Riverview Highlands.  All have holes which impressed me, but the courses as a whole didn't make much of an imprint on me in terms of what really gets me excited about golf; Newcomb's courses are solid if unspectacular.  A few good golfing mates in Michigan have long pointed me toward Calderone Farms as a somewhat unusual faux links along the I-94 corridor in Grass Lake between Jackson and Ann Arbor.  Additionally, a handful of GCAers have praised the course on this site.  So, I finally made the drive on a fine fall day accompanied by crisp sunshine and the talk of college ball. My first two impressions of the course were 1) why the heck didn't the archie make this a very comfortable walking course? and 2) there are a lot of blind/obscured drives on this quite rolling farmland.  It seems to be common these days that archies don't give a lot of thought to the walking golfer. This could be because often times carts are a necessity for many clubs to turn a profit, but given the common pricing structure of many publics to include the cart in the green fee, this doesn't make much sense.  In any case, the course is walkable, but every tee to green walk is uncomfortably far.  This leads me to the next point of blind/obscured drives.  Many times archies accept the extra walk to create vistas from the tee.  Oddly, a great many of Calderone Farms' tee shots are blind or obscured.  I don't mind this characteristic, but its strikes me as odd to walk a distance for the pleasure of a blind tee shot. 

Before I head to the course, a few pictures of Americana are in order.  First up, an old school house (I believe) has been left standing in what seems to be an improbable position isolated from any sort of population.

Directly across the street is one of the more bizarre hall of fames I have encountered.  Seeing this sort of thing reminds me that some things never change and long may this be so.  Curiously, listening strictly to the radio, I was struck by the time wharp popularity of The Cars, Bob Seger, Billy Joel and Led Zeppelin.  Although, much to my surprise, Led Zeppelin sounds better in Michigan than in England - who woulda thought?  Incidentally, this seemingly innocent Bambi park is the main bone of contention which led to a new ownership of Calderone Farms. 

Driving toward the lot and house the sight is promising; rolling corn fields with combines doing what combines do this time of year.  Its as if the corn was cut and flags were stuck in the ground.  Of course, there are obvious signs of shaping and at times this work is not done well, but the overall impression is pleasing...until we see the second shot at #1.  The reachable par 5 opener plays around the Bambi park!  The owner of the museum erected the tall fence to protect his property from his brother's sheenanigans on the golf course.  BTW - yes, that is I-94 in the background. Quickly exiting the nightmare opener we find a good looking par 3. 

The third is a short par 4 which is quite appealing.

The difficulty rachets up a few notches on the long two-shotter 4th.  I am not in the least convinced by the sprawl of pots covering the inside of the leg.  Generally, the bunkering is a major let down as it should inspire temptation.  More often than not the sand seems an afterthought which doesn't successfully integrate with the wonderfully rolling terrain. 

On a few occassions Calderone Farms does feature one of my favourite design concepts, long range views beyond greens.  After driving blindly over a hill this sublime sight is what remains of the 5th.

The par 5 6th turns back on the 5th and is reachable in two.  Generally speaking, as is the case with much of the design, while not poor the greens lack pizzaz or any sort of bold statement.  #7 is a short two-shotter playing blindly over a modest hill.  The bunker complex is interesting and something I would have liked to see more of at Calderone Farms.

While testing, the short 8th is not a particularly inspiring hole, but the saddle cut bunker on the right is eye catching.

A fatal error of design is committed on the 9th - a blind water hazard.  One saving grace is the width of the fairway, but someone with experience needs to be on hand to point it out.  This is a shame because other than the blind water the concept of the hole is intriguing. 

After yet another trudge to the next tee, the 10th gives us a glimpse of the corn and what this land looked like some dozen years ago. The approach after a VERY long drive.

As on the 5th/6th, the 11th runs along a waste bunker on the left which transitions a hill to fairway.  The approach is quite interesting because of the two-tier green and rear ears which are pinnable.

One may be able to make out the ears of the green on either side of the rear centreline bunker.

The 12th highlights the sort of shaping Newcomb did which helped facilitate superb drainage on the site.  To the right is one of the waste bunkers like at #s 5/6 & 11.  The fairway is built up sharply on the right to create the surface drainage. For those that have played Westfields near WDC, this is quite similar. Several fairways are similar to this and the payoff is wonderfully firm fairways. 

The drive is actually quite tight and many will choose to lay-up as this is a short par 4.

The course is now starting to transition into a more wooded area.  The par 5 13th is unremarkable except for the great green complex. 

#14 turns very hard to the right.  There is a cool ridge in the fairway which is helpful to drive past for a much easier approach.

The following hole is an attractive par 3 with a hard sloping back to front green.  Once again, I am not convinced the bunkers work very well. Additionally, and this is a serious problem, all the bunkers I saw were full of rocks.  Playing from the greenside bunker at #13 a rock flew up and hit me in the face. 

The 16th is an unusual hole bending sharply around trees and a low-lying wet area.  The approach is lovely with the 5th in the background.  Its almost as if Newcomb was frightened to really go to town with this property because there are glimpses of what could be, but then he reins back to the all too familiar.

The very tough uphill 17th.

The home hole runs parallel to the 9th with the water dividing the two holes.  Unlike the 9th, this is a very narrow fairway considering the water can't be seen.

I have likely been a bit hard in my remarks concerning the course, but if this is the case it is because I think the Calderone Farms could be far better and that Bill Newcomb is more than capable of doing the job.  At the end of the day, Calderone Farms is easy on the eye and at $30 to ride during the week it won't break the bank.  If one is looking for a quick game while traveling along I-94 between Detroit and Chicago, by all means have a go.  2010

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:46:39 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Peter Pratt

Re: Calderone Farms GC: A Missed Opportunity in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:57 AM »
Sean, I live in Lansing, not far from Calderone, and played it last year. To my surprise, I too enjoyed it quite a bit. Michigan is chock full of these sleeper courses--they're not great, but they are most definitely well above average, and they have modest greens fees. 

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
Sean,

I drove by this course every day for a year when I was working in AA and commuting from East Lansing.  I always thought I should have stopped to play it as it looks like it might have some fun holes.

Did you get a chance to play Hunter's Ridge when you were back in MI?  That is a gem of a course.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
Sean,

I drove by this course every day for a year when I was working in AA and commuting from East Lansing.  I always thought I should have stopped to play it as it looks like it might have some fun holes.

Did you get a chance to play Hunter's Ridge when you were back in MI?  That is a gem of a course.

JC

No, I played three games with Calderone being the outlier.  Although, I like Hunters Ridge a lot and it was one of my favourites when living in Ann Arbor.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Richard Hetzel

Re: CALDERONE FARMS GC: A Missed Opportunity in Michigan?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
Sean,

Jon Heise and I played Riverview Highlands a week or so ago. We have spoken about playing Calderone Farms, but it has not happened yet. Looks decent enough with a fair mix of holes.
Last 6:
NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Pete Dye River Course (VA)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »
I also think from your photos it looks like a nice round tobe played.  What is the green fee? 

So, where is the blind water on 9th, just in forground left side in that depression.  Looks like a pretty small and insignificant to play sort of drainage gathering pond if it is only to the right of a topped shot. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:02:21 AM »
I also think from your photos it looks like a nice round tobe played.  What is the green fee? 

So, where is the blind water on 9th, just in forground left side in that depression.  Looks like a pretty small and insignificant to play sort of drainage gathering pond if it is only to the right of a topped shot. 

Dick

The green fee is why I believe folks should have a go.  I think the top whack is $40 with a cart in the summer.  I paid $20 - can't really go wrong.

The pond on the ninth goes way right.  Scroll the screen to the right and you will see a marker poll on line with the cart path.  Its safest to hit right of this toward a little mound in the distance.  This is a very deceiving tee shot. 

Ciao

Brian Cenci

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »
Sean,

Don't you mean Moose Ridge near Ann Arbor?  Hunters Ridge is near Howell and it is a beater course.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »
I played it earlier this year a few times (mostly because it is a decently priced course within 45 minutes of Lansing) and enjoyed it.  You're right, the first hole is very quircky and I really despise it as an opening hole but the remainder of the course is solid.  It has that whole "links style" openess going for it that really makes the course and it is very playable.  Overall I think they were only asking $25 to walk in May and it is one of the more affordable courses for the quality.

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »
Sean,

Don't you mean Moose Ridge near Ann Arbor?  Hunters Ridge is near Howell and it is a beater course.

Wow!  A Cenci post is akin to catching a glimpse of the Yeti. ;D

I mean Hunter's Ridge.  Last I played it was 7 or 8 years ago so perhaps things have changed but I would say it was far from a beater course and provided significantly more architectural interest than Moose Ridge (the boring Hearn dump that Heise loves so much).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Sean - Thanks for posting these pictures.  I've driven by this course many times going between Metro Detroit and Albion, but have never played it.  I think I might try to do something about that next year.  Pierce Lake is the course on the I-94 corridor that I've played quite a bit - very solid golf course for a similar rate to Calderone.  Tough to beat the value.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »

It is courses like this one that make good courses stand out. Yes, I believe in courses that provide value. But why make the course so boring in the first place?

I wish courses could spend some energy and money to improve their course for the next 30 years.

One thing I like about this course- no signature hole!!

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »

It is courses like this one that make good courses stand out. Yes, I believe in courses that provide value. But why make the course so boring in the first place?

I wish courses could spend some energy and money to improve their course for the next 30 years.

One thing I like about this course- no signature hole!!

Jeepers Scott, that is a bit harsh.  In its price range, Calderone does alright.  I do think this could have been a special course goven the site, but I have no idea of the constraints involved other than the obvious I-94 and so called dee hall of fame (wtf?).  I found enough to like which could bring me back if convenient.

Ciao

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
Sean,

Great Photo tour.  I agree that the land is really good and it could of been much better in the design dept.  I totally agree about the routing for walking, makes no sense.  There is so much great rolling land on i94 from Kzoo to A2.   The course has some good holes on it.   

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
Sean:
As always. an excellent analysis. I drove from Detroit to Jackson 1000 times in my career and I always wondered about CF. It looks cool at 80 mph as you buzz by on I-94. I never stopped for the Michigan Whitetail Hall of Fame and am glad I didn't stop for CF. Next time you come back to AA lets play some great metro Detroit courses. Would love to see your posts.
JB

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
Ben & Jeff - cheers

Like I say, its hard to get too down on Calderone because its cheap golf.  But its not one to make a trip for.  Michigan is full of the same sort of quality courses for that money.  I still don't think Caderone touches Leslie Park or Cascades and these course aren't special even if they are good, solid munis.   

My problem when I get to Michigan is I have very little time for golf so I like to make my few rounds count.  I am targeting Barton Hills because Mark S says its an outstanding renovation.  There are others I would like to see as well, but of course, I can rarely resist the temptation to play UofM especially now that some Devries work is ongoing. 

Ciao 

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »
Ben & Jeff - cheers

Like I say, its hard to get too down on Calderone because its cheap golf.  But its not one to make a trip for.  Michigan is full of the same sort of quality courses for that money.  I still don't think Caderone touches Leslie Park or Cascades and these course aren't special even if they are good, solid munis.   

My problem when I get to Michigan is I have very little time for golf so I like to make my few rounds count.  I am targeting Barton Hills because Mark S says its an outstanding renovation.  There are others I would like to see as well, but of course, I can rarely resist the temptation to play UofM especially now that some Devries work is ongoing. 

Ciao 

Play BH. It is a fine course. Then play Orchard Lake. It is a superb restoration. But I am biased.
JB

Chris DeToro

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »
Like many others, I've driven past this place a hundred times and just never had a chance to stop.  There are a few other interesting looking, at least driving by, courses on this stretch of highway.  Anyone played those as well?  What's the best course right off of I-94 on the stretch between Kzoo and Detroit? 

Mike Schott

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
Like many others, I've driven past this place a hundred times and just never had a chance to stop.  There are a few other interesting looking, at least driving by, courses on this stretch of highway.  Anyone played those as well?  What's the best course right off of I-94 on the stretch between Kzoo and Detroit? 

In terms of public courses between K'zoo and Detroit IMO the best is Pierce Lake which is right at the Dexter exit off of I-94. While not great and with some forced carries on a tough back 9, it's well laid out and not a tough walk. Leslie Park is better but about a 15 minute drive off of the I-94/US-23 exit.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Ah Pierce Lake is the other.  Could the Michigan stretch of 94 have the highest number of notable golf courses right off the highway?  Lost Dunes is bisected by it, Point O Woods has a couple of holes right on it, Calderone Farms is right there, Pierce Lake

Mike Schott

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
Ah Pierce Lake is the other.  Could the Michigan stretch of 94 have the highest number of notable golf courses right off the highway?  Lost Dunes is bisected by it, Point O Woods has a couple of holes right on it, Calderone Farms is right there, Pierce Lake

Interesting qualifier, courses right off of a highway. I have limited experience on this but I-75 in Michigan does OK especially if you allow for a few miles either way. That would let you play Fieldstone that I've heard is pretty nice, Bay Valley In Bay City, Black Forest, maybe some of the Treetops courses and a few others near Gaylord and Black Bear which looks interesting from the highway.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »
Im interested in your comment re the evil of blind water hazards.  Is that not perhaps a slightly black and white view of things?

I haven't seen the beastie in question, but is there some sort of land form issue that dictates its presence or is it purely man made?

Personally I am of the view that blinds hazards are only blind the first time and so there is scope for them on courses (public or private) where players are regulars and where familiarity cures the problem.  Perhaps less so on courses where most players may only ever play it once.

Put a blind green over the back of some sand dune such as 13 at Rye, and we call it quirky.  Put in a blind hazard and we call it a fatal flaw.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 02:49:26 AM »
Josh

My issue with blind water has mostly to do with fairway width - I have no issue with blind sand.  If there is plenty of space to play away from water with the likely result of a bogey, thats fine, not ideal and not something I like to see, but fine.  In my experience, archies don't tend to give extra leeway for blind water.  Adding to the problem, sometimes there is enough rough about that one can't be sure the ball is in the hazard so now we are talking a lost ball penalty.  Much of the time the entire game is slowed down at these holes.  Finally, there is something irksome about losing a ball when one isn't far off-line.  I am not made of money. 

Calderone was very odd because in places the archie has the golfer walking for blind tee shots.  I can understand if tees are near greens and blindness is the result, but to walk a distance to hit a blind shot doesn't make much sense to me. 

Ciao

Chris DeToro

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »
I am not a fan of blind hazards either--even on a private course or the type of course that people will play multiple times and "learn" it.  Beyond being a total scorecard killer, it slows the game down tremendously.  With difficult green complexes (as per the definition in the other thread), the course can still be difficult without being unduly so

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back