News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Bayonne Photo Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
Rich-Fantastic pictures. Stunning vistas across the Hudson with the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop. The second shot on 9 looks super fun with the green appearing redan like. Did you sweep a hook in there? The dunes and green surrounds look awesome.

Richard Choi

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
Tim thanks. Didn't put a hook shot in there as the green slopes back to front pretty severely if I remember correctly. Fun drive on that hole.

I have gotten a lot of compliments on the photos and I want to say that they were all taken from a very small Panasonic point-and-shoot camera. I got lucky with a decent light condition.

Another thing that really helped with the quality of the photos is the new Windows Live Photo Gallery (which is completely free for download - http://explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery - yes, it is plug for my employer). Its auto-correction feature is pretty good for fixing exposure and color. I've had problems with golf courses before because it is so green dominant, but this new app handles them pretty well. It is also very fast (auto-corrected over 150 shots in less than 10 min on my laptop). It also keeps the original "negative" so that you can always reverse any changes. I can't believe this is all free. You should check it out.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »
Bayonne is a fantastic example of man overcoming tremendous hurdles to create a golf course in a very stark urban landscape. I find it hard to fathom that a verl real movie such as Kazan's "On the Waterfront" could have been filmed just a mile or so from where the Bayonne GC is now located. Truly mindboggling given the sheer differences that each portrays.

Why the course is not rated even higher astounds me as the emptiness of so many raters.

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
Another thing that really helped with the quality of the photos is the new Windows Live Photo Gallery (which is completely free for download - http://explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery - yes, it is plug for my employer). Its auto-correction feature is pretty good for fixing exposure and color. I've had problems with golf courses before because it is so green dominant, but this new app handles them pretty well. It is also very fast (auto-corrected over 150 shots in less than 10 min on my laptop). It also keeps the original "negative" so that you can always reverse any changes. I can't believe this is all free. You should check it out.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the pix.

Call me crazy, but I kinda like industrial surroundings juxtaposed. Maybe it's my Burgh-ness coming through.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

BDuryee

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »
The contrast between industrial and links jumps out so much almost looks like it is photoshopped. I think it would only add to the experience factor of playing what looks to be a fun course.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
It looks tough to play, tough to walk but looks very nice. Its great for made landscape.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »
Adrian:

The course doesn't provide for carts -- and it's very walkable -- looks different than actually is.

There's also more space but it won't accomodate military type golf.

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
I think Bayonne is one of the engineering marvels of all time. I love the course and and eagerly anticipate each invitation I receive to play it.  But....I have never played the course more than once in a year and shudder at the thought of playing it regularly. I currently carry a 6 handicap but feel like the course is just way too hard for me. Anybody else feel the same way?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »
Matt,

I agree, I don't think # 17 is narrow.

But, I do think # 4 is very narrow, especially, visually from the tee.

It's a very, very intimidating course for a first timer, especially when there's a bit of a breeze in the air, which is often.

One of the golfing accomplishments I'm most proud of is that I hit every fairway at Bayonne my last time there in a 2 to 2+ club wind.

Eric did a fabulous job on the putting surfaces, they're at least amongst the best 10 in the state.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »
I think Bayonne is one of the engineering marvels of all time. I love the course and and eagerly anticipate each invitation I receive to play it.  But....I have never played the course more than once in a year and shudder at the thought of playing it regularly. I currently carry a 6 handicap but feel like the course is just way too hard for me. Anybody else feel the same way?

Jeff:
I also feel like the course is just way too hard for you.   ;)

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:04 PM »
Very good!

Keith Phillips

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »
Jeff, in my experience good players handle Bayonne very well...they tend to hit many fairways and can handle the slopes of the fairways and greens - the single-digits that I have brought as guests have all scored very well.  Higher handicappers like me, on the other hand, often struggle - we tend to spray the ball more, and misses are sometimes penalized severely...I for one think the course ratings at Bayonne are fine, but the slope ratings should be higher...(men generally play the Blue tees...72.6/137...6750 yards but plays shorter due to firm fairways and a few more holes being downhill than uphill)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
Am standing in Battery Park -- Bayonne apparently has at least two ferries that run  from Manhattan to the club. Very cool!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
Pat:

Agree w you on the quality of the slopes and contours of the greens. They are indeed well done.

Keith:

Excellent point -- the slope factor for the mid to high handicap types should be higher for the reasons you mentioned.

Jeff:

When you say hard -- let me ask you this -- when you hit superior shots did the course reward you accordingly. And on the converse -- did it penalize you accordingly.

The thinning out of the fescue is an added benefit because in its original state it was often a lost ball.

The visual dynamics at Bayonne can certainly rein in the impulse to swing away.

Curious to see where you would place Bayonne among the toughest of courses you have played in the metro area. For what it's worth I see WF/W being no less than 2-3 shots tougher than Bayonne.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:28 PM »
Not sure how I missed this thread originally. Thanks for starting it Rich (and Brian for bumping it).
Love photo tours.

Jim

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »
To address Matt's question, I think Bayonne is far more penal if you're having a bad day with your driver.

Bayonne is also swept by strong winds, which I like, but, again, if your game is off, those winds are going to add, exponentially, to the difficulty.

Every course is relatively easy if you hit every fairway, but, it's the misses at Bayonne that will kill your score.

Jon Byron

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
I agree with Jim Johnson's comment. I have played Liberty National nearby, but not Bayonne and would love to. A walking course near Manhattan - cannot beat that!
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
Jon,

I think you'll find Bayonne far superior to Liberty, it's unique, and totally manufactured, which is astounding.
Everything on that site, except the wind, was imported.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
I played Liberty National and Bayonne on the same day.  After 10 holes I was ready to be done with LN.  After 18 holes at Bayonne, I played nine more and only quit because it got dark.  Pat is also correct in saying that the driver is essential to scoring at Bayonne.  Hit it off line and bogey becomes a good score.  It is possible to get it up and down from around the greens but hit it off line from the tee and pay the price.
Not hitting your driver straight.  Hit a club that you can get in the fairway, even if you need to take one more shot to get to the green.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
Brian,

What's incredible is that this was a flat site at 10' ASL and that everything you see in the pictures was imported.

Michael Felton

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
Indeed - the clubhouse is at 92 feet ASL, but there was nothing more than 10 feet ASL when they started. It's all dredged from the Hudson River.

The flag isn't up on these pictures, but it's pretty impressive too. It's the size of a tennis court I believe.

Richard Choi

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 02:10:31 PM »
Ah memories... I need to get back there one of these days.

These are probably the best set of course photos I have ever taken. Just loved everything about the course.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
Very impressive indeed. Just shows what can be done - where there's a will there's a way? With some smart use of Photoshop or the like it would be pretty difficult to envisage the kind of area where the course is actually situated.
atb

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »
Indeed - the clubhouse is at 92 feet ASL, but there was nothing more than 10 feet ASL when they started. It's all dredged from the Hudson River.

The flag isn't up on these pictures, but it's pretty impressive too. It's the size of a tennis court I believe.

Mike,

That's correct, and the flag pole is counter sunk 70 feet to offset the stress forces createdby the flag/wind

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 08:44:37 AM »
Have they been keeping it fast and firm? I truly hope so. We played it this time last year and they had it very soft—especially the green surrounds.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back