News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Littlestone's 8th
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
The 8th at Littlestone is one of the MacKenzie holes that was actually modified shortly after his visit in 1924. Over the last 15 years (as long as I've been playing the course) it has been a straight-away hole of moderate length. The green site is what made it interesting. When I played it a few days ago I was surprised to find that the new greens chairman, John Young, has taken the opportunity given by the resurfacing of the current tee to resurrect an earlier tee - possibly MacKenzie's. The improvement in the hole is dramatic.

Here's a view from the current tee - a straight drive can run to the bunkers that front the green without meeting any obstacle. For those who have played the course, recall that the tee is to the left rear of the 7th green.

John, who is a long-standing member and has been playing the course since the 1960s remembered the old tee and had the green staff clear the grass and add a little sand and sod to flatten the surface. This is a view of it looking back over the 7th green from around the current tee.

Playing from the old/new tee gives some interest and some choices to the drive - a safe play over the short bunker (the green line indicates a distance of about 140 yards), a drive between the bunker and the large mound, or directly over the mound (the red line - a carry of 205 yards to the fairway). The blue line is 260 yards. Although the carry over the mound does not sound threatening, the landing area is blind and there is significant rough on the back of the mound and to its right. The prevailing wind (l-r) will carry it that way.

The view off the tee shows the improvement.

Although this tee is considered temporary and won't be used during final Open qualifying next summer, I hope the members enjoy it and lobby for it to be permanent. John is doing a great job and my hat's off to him.

The club is also considering bringing in a well-regarded architect to look over the course and make suggestions on improvements. Over the years fairway lines have moved, bunkers have been taken out or added and unfortunately not all the changes have been for the best. Some major modifications to the clubhouse are in the works and will be completed by next spring.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Littlestone's 8th
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:53:05 AM »
Craig

It appears to have been moved for safety? How close to an aggressive line off the tee is that green on the right in your bottom picture? Visually is appears more interesting from pictures.

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »
Craig

It appears to have been moved for safety? How close to an aggressive line off the tee is that green on the right in your bottom picture? Visually is appears more interesting from pictures.

I thought the proximity of the road was also an issue - but from the current tee a well-struck hook from a strong player can easily take out a windshield. As for safety on the other green - the 10th - a simple solution would be a request that those on the 8th tee wait until the 10th green clears before proceeding. I suspect that's what the club will do.

After looking more closely at the aerial, I can see evidence of two abandoned fairway bunkers at about 200 yards off the old tee (an extended green line would run between them). If they existed, I think the fairway would have extended more to the right behind the bunker and the leftmost of the lost bunkers would have defined the left edge of the fairway. With all that going on, the hole would have been a very memorable short par 4 to say the least.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »
Craig

I thought the proximity of the road was also an issue - but from the current tee a well-struck hook from a strong player can easily take out a windshield. As for safety on the other green - the 10th - a simple solution would be a request that those on the 8th tee wait until the 10th green clears before proceeding. I suspect that's what the club will do.

After looking more closely at the aerial, I can see evidence of two abandoned fairway bunkers at about 200 yards off the old tee (an extended green line would run between them). If they existed, I think the fairway would have extended more to the right behind the bunker and the leftmost of the lost bunkers would have defined the left edge of the fairway. With all that going on, the hole would have been a very memorable short par 4 to say the least.

Craig, maybe you can also try to persuade the club to restore #16 to the hole that inspired CB Macdonald's hole at Lido!  I have a clear picture in my mind of looking for Mike Malone's tee ball in the knee high rough that used to be the alternate left fairway!   ;D

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
 Bill,

After 45 years playing with an interlocking grip I needed to switch to a baseball grip. It took me a year to keep the ball from going left. Sorry about that.
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »
Bill,

After 45 years playing with an interlocking grip I needed to switch to a baseball grip. It took me a year to keep the ball from going left. Sorry about that.

LOL. Missed you at the Buda, you'd have loved Porthcawl and Pennard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back