News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

the grassing mix was the success for Scottish Senior Open
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:03:16 AM »
the second  European Tour Scottish Senior OPen finished yesterday, winner Barry Lane of England annoying the patrons.  However the success of the Torrance Course is the grassing mixture which is noted under course details.  The mixture of grasses insures good F&F conditions under most conditions, why can't Pebble Beach do something similar?

www.europeantour.com/seniortour/season=2010/tournamentid=2010868/venue/index.html

Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David_Tepper

Re: the grassing mix was the success for Scottish Senior Open
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »
"winner Barry Lane of England annoying the patrons."

Gary -

Sounds interesting, would you care to elaborate?

DT

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
"winner Barry Lane of England annoying the patrons."

Gary -

Sounds interesting, would you care to elaborate?

DT

Scots always cheer for Scots, never for an Englishman!  They were hoping for Sam Torrance.  When I lived there people assumed that I was "American" and when I'd say I was Canadian they would say sorry, and then say we have the same problem with the people who live south of us.  And then I'd say I have no problem with "Americans" and they'd mutter, "Oh, well we do with the English". When I met Prince Andrews he asked what part of America I was from, and I said "The northern part, Canada".
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »
Just to get back on topic...
Would it be legal to import those grass strains to another country?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:27:04 PM by Ralph_Livingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
I'm assuming the grasses used would have everything to do with the growing conditions/soil/climate etc. Is a clay type soil in Fife really that similiar to Pebble Beach ? Interested to hear any greenkeepers comments.

Gary - have they changed the grass mix in any way from what is was prior to the redo ?

Niall

Steven_Biehl

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
None of those grass types are terribly unique.  I would guess the management of those grasses is what led to the compliments regarding the conditions.

Lolium perenne = perennial ryegrass
Festuca = fescue
Agrostis = bentgrass
"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Gary Slatter

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm assuming the grasses used would have everything to do with the growing conditions/soil/climate etc. Is a clay type soil in Fife really that similiar to Pebble Beach ? Interested to hear any greenkeepers comments.

Gary - have they changed the grass mix in any way from what is was prior to the redo ?

Niall
More fescues are added at every opportunity.   The R&A consultants (STRI) asked Nial Ballingall (Super) to add only fescue to the greens. 
The soil isn't ideal and sand is also added at every opportunity.  I think the mixtures are key, rather than going with one type of rye or bent or fescue.  AND NO POA, that's where the management comes in.  Very little nitrogen. 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Steve Okula

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »

Scots always cheer for Scots, never for an Englishman!  They were hoping for Sam Torrance.  When I lived there people assumed that I was "American" and when I'd say I was Canadian they would say sorry, and then say we have the same problem with the people who live south of us.  And then I'd say I have no problem with "Americans" and they'd mutter, "Oh, well we do with the English". When I met Prince Andrews he asked what part of America I was from, and I said "The northern part, Canada".

Gary,

Well, don't blame the Prince. It's your own fault, isn't it? I mean, why do you people incessantly imitate our American accents? Can't you think of one of your own?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back