News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Re: Staying Happy as We Get Older.....
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »
Here's what somebody wrote about happiness, on an economics board I frequent:

The very good book, "The How of Happiness," by research psychologist and University of California professor of psychology Sonja Lyubomirsky, shows that material goods have very little to do with happiness, once one's basic needs are securely met.

http://chass.ucr.edu/faculty_book/lyubomirsky/about_book.htm...

I practice the following happiness techniques, a small selection of the many presented in the book.

1. According to The Book of Tao: "To be happy, focus on what you have. To be unhappy, focus on what you do NOT have." This is a gratitude exercise. I focus on my many blessings, including (but not limited to) my wonderful husband, family and friends, my physical health (which I guard assiduously), my home, food and the fact that I am a free person living in one of the most prosperous nations in history.

2. Physical exercise, including walking 2 miles per day, yoga and step aerobics. I teach yoga to my step aerobics instructor, a very spiritual Native American woman, which enhances the experience by a friendship connection.

3. Gardening, including growing some of our food as well as flowers for my enjoyment and that of my local bees.

4. Creative pursuits, including painting and cooking.

5. Involvement with the community, including helping those in need, tutoring girls in science (volunteer -- the parents couldn't afford to pay a tutor), and being the cantor for my isolated, tiny Jewish congregation. I have just begun a teaching job at the local community college. Not for the money (it doesn't pay much), but for the interaction with students and faculty.

I own a few valuable possessions, many of which are inherited. I occasionally buy art objects or jewelry as a "treat" for myself. Most of my furniture is second hand and I could abandon it without a qualm.

The biggest factor in my journey toward happiness was the scientific data showing that a Type A personality, especially anger and hostility, is a huge risk factor for heart disease. I had my blood pressure measured when I was time-stressed (145/90) and after a few minutes of yoga relaxation breathing (109/70).

I believe that consumerism is a combination of a dopamine-mediated addiction (that rush when you buy something new) and the urge to garner status via display (that rush when you out-Jones the Joneses).

I think it will take a long time (if ever) for most people to realize that happiness is experiential, because the media pushes consumerism like a drug.

Wendy

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 07:47:57 AM »
I got interested in GCA about the time I was frustrated with the quality of my play.  I still felt drawn to the game but fighting to improve had worn me out.   

I find there are a lot of ways to enjoy the game, although the most compelling one for me is trying to play well.  When I am making no visible progress on that front, I have at various times focused on literature, friends, $2 bets, travel, humor, architecture, biographies, maintenance, equipment, physics and psychology.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
Breaking 80

Mac,

I can almost guarantee you will break 80 on your Scotland trip.  You will FIND golf, true golf.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back