News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Miller

Royal County Down - Annesley Links
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »
Arriving in the late afternoon before my much anticipated tee time the next morning on the Championship Course, I had time to play what the locals refer to as the #2 course of Royal County Down – Annesley Links.

Not much is written about the course.   Here is the introduction on the website and course planner:

Alongside the Championship Links, Royal County Down has a second course, the Annesley Links.  The Annesley has been an intregral part of golf in Newcastle since it was laid out in 1908.  The Annesley is in no way meant to compete with its championship big brother, it is however linked by the same dune system with fast running fairways, small firm greens in a majestic setting beneath the giant peak of Slieve Donard

Sounds nice, right?  And this is Royal County Down, so it has to be good.  Right?  Right?

A view of the Annesley Links in relation to the Championship course.  

The course plays 4708 yards with six par 3’s and twelve par 4’s.  

With high expectations, endless sunlight and abundant energy, I went off to play.

First, the good.  

The eighth hole is outstanding.  Actually, looking back it is one of my favorite holes on the property.  

-Eight- Par 4, 338 yards.

The walk to the eighth tee requires a walk through and some of your first views of the championship course

The view from the tee is a white stone and a suggestion that you need a touch of accuracy.

The ideal shot is about 200 yards over the white stone.

A look back at the tee

I love how it seamlessly fits into the surroundings

Short and left

The other hole of interest was the short par 4 6th:

A look from the tee

Anything right falls into the heather below and makes for a challenging recovery

Approaching from the right also gives you the impression that coming in a bit short is an option…

It isn’t…

It’s difficult to criticize the course, but the course is generally uninteresting.  The par fours are tight to the point that even well-struck, down the middle shots can end up vanishing.  

Anyone see my tee shot?

The length of the course is not really a problem.  A course can absolutely be less than 5000 yards while still being fun and interesting.

Photos to come from my first ten holes along with some views of the championship course.   After the tenth hole I decided for better or for worse that other than the views there was nothing interesting to shoot.  Sitting here now it seems harsh, but at the time I just felt disappointed and wanted to finish the round.  

Were my expectations too high?  Maybe.  

I’m trying to think of another course that has such a mediocre little brother that shares the same property.  Wouldn’t it be great if RCD had a strong and fun complement to the course, something like the par 3 courses at Pine Valley or Augusta (ok, so I haven’t played either, but…)?  After the round, I felt a bit worried that the championship course wouldn’t live up to the hype.  Luckily after stepping onto the first tee the next morning, those thoughts promptly vanished.  

If you have some free time at Royal County Down, walk the championship course or spend some time with this friend of mine…

More to come, along with posts on RCD and Royal Portrush.  

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:40:33 AM by Rob Miller »

Rob Miller

Re: Royal County Down - Annesley Links
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
View from the 10th

View of the 13th championship

1st tee

Looking back on the first

1st green

2nd tee

A hint of bunkers to come

3rd tee

3rd green

4th tee

5th tee

Bunker on the par 3 5th

First view of championship links

Blind tee shot on the 7th

View from the 9th

Approach to the 10th

10th green

More views from the 10th

10 green to 11 tee

Don't be a hero

11th tee

JESII

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »
Amazingly, I spent about 5 days there 10 years ago and never knew there was another course...but did learn that about 4 "clubs" actually call RCD home.

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:00:54 AM »
Amazingly, I spent about 5 days there 10 years ago and never knew there was another course...but did learn that about 4 "clubs" actually call RCD home.

Wow, that is so funny.  I'm totally aware of what's going on when I'm around a golf course and I was too embarrassed to post the exact same thing.

In 1989 I spent three-and-a-half days there playing at the student rate of 25 punts (all day) and did not remember another course.  It makes sense in that I didn't fly and drive there from Copenhagen to play a course that wasn't ranked #3 in the world in the early 80s by GOLF Magazine, but still...you'd think I'd have seen it.

I remember trying to hit a shot into a real tough par 3 on the back nine at Royal Portrush with a heap of wind and the ground frozen, looking to my right and seeing another course.  (I couldn't get a tee in the ground all day and used my 19 degree "Tour Cleek" from the box.  At leaset it rolled.)

Don't remember seeing the other course at RCD.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:16:51 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for the tour - I've never played nor walked this course though I've obviously had sight of it...

...Have to say that from these photos, some of the other holes look more enjoyable than the 8th to me... The 8th just looks tight with a ridiculously small green site surrounded on all sides by scrub... How did it play?

Ally

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for the tour. I didn't play the course on my visit to RCD, but I wonder if whats letting this course down is that holes 1 to 5 and then 16 to 18 appear to be running over the same flatter land that 17 and 18 on the Championship course do, and these are ofetn considered the weak part of the course? However, some of the holes running through the dunes look good from the photos.

Maybe if they made some of this area used by the Annesley links into a decent practice area and then played the links as a nine holer from the current 6th to the 15th, missing out one of the par 3s, then they would have a what looks to be a cracking second course and overall a damn good set up?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rob Miller

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 04:03:36 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for the tour - I've never played nor walked this course though I've obviously had sight of it...

...Have to say that from these photos, some of the other holes look more enjoyable than the 8th to me... The 8th just looks tight with a ridiculously small green site surrounded on all sides by scrub... How did it play?

Ally

Ally- I liked the eighth mostly because of the way the hole played into the environment around it.  Yes, there aren't many strategic options other than distance off the tee and the approach does demand some precision but the hole has the feeling that the green is a natural terminal point, that is couldn't be anywhere else.  The green is a bit tight but probably more forgiving than the pictures show.  The approach is intimidating and feels a bit like the 5th at Bandon (before they removed a lot of the gorse). 

The tendency is probably to stay on the safe side short and left and there is some room there to make an uphill pitch and putt.  Also, it's one of the first holes you play with interesting undulations moving towards the high point on the course.  The hole might not be perfect but for the land it occupies it feels perfect. 

Rob,

Thanks for the tour. I didn't play the course on my visit to RCD, but I wonder if whats letting this course down is that holes 1 to 5 and then 16 to 18 appear to be running over the same flatter land that 17 and 18 on the Championship course do, and these are ofetn considered the weak part of the course? However, some of the holes running through the dunes look good from the photos.

Maybe if they made some of this area used by the Annesley links into a decent practice area and then played the links as a nine holer from the current 6th to the 15th, missing out one of the par 3s, then they would have a what looks to be a cracking second course and overall a damn good set up?

Cheers,

James

James- I'm sure that there would be serious resistance because of the history of the course but it's an interesting idea and would be an improvement.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:39:54 AM »
Ah, come on lads - no need to get rid of nine holes on a whim.

You'd still leave in the biggest weakness of all - the walk from 7th green to 8 tees whilst creating a ridiculous walk to the new 1st tee and from the new 9th green (unless you want to invest in a new clubhouse). It's meant as a second course for those who don't fancy the challenge of the main course and has a club all in it's own right I believe...

And those opening holes don't look flat - they look flatter with the odd interesting looking green. Flatter holes don't necessarily equal bad holes.

Guess I better see the course though... I'm really saying all this with very little knowledge.

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:47:20 AM »
Ally,

I too was making comments based on very little knowledge... cardinal sin no 1 around here!  ;) I seem to recall the Annesley has quite a history, and I suppose it does serve quite a different purpose from the Championship course, so I'm sure it keeps many people happy just as it is.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Martin Toal

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:34:46 AM »
In the old days, this was the Ladies course, before it was named after a former Chief Constable of the Royal Ulster Constabulary of the 1980/90s who rather liked a game of golf.

No-one in NI has ever considered it to be a serious second course like The Valley at RP.

Leo Barber

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 05:40:36 AM »
Its an interesting contrast for all those who just think greenkeeping is about cutting grass and that budgets don't impact on quality - not that I suspect many on this site think that.  RCD Championship would be one of the most perfect courses in every aspect (both agronomically or design) I have played, its smaller brother........

Rick Sides

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:00:07 AM »
Rob,
The course looks great!  Can't wait to go to Ireland one day.  What else looks great is that pint of Guinness.  I worked with a young Irishman last summer and he told me the American Guinness is not nearly as good as it is over there for two reasons.  Reason one the bartenders over there know how to pour it better.  Reason two: the pipes.  In Ireland the Guinness company checks every place which serves Guinness and cleans out the pipes(tubes) from which the beer is poured every few weeks.  I loved it when the young man use to say to me,
 "  for fuck sack the beer taste like piss over here"  :D

JESII

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »
Rick,

Even more amazing is going into a nightclub and seeing all the 20 year olds drinking...BUD!

That seems akin to seieng Melvyn on a cart lasering his yardage to the pin...

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
The Guiness in Ireland is also better because it is made with water from the River Liffey, which is very soft water, giving the stout a sweeter flavour than say London Guiness, which is brewed with much harder water. Everybody who serves Guiness MUST clean the lines each month or you get banging headaches from just a couple of pints. I'll agree that they take pride in never rushing a pint to a customer, allowing it to properly rest; you could make five new friends or sober up while waiting for your next pint!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

JESII

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
Pete,

you've just got to improve your ordering rythm.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »
'' It’s difficult to criticize the course, but the course is generally uninteresting.  The par fours are tight to the point that even well-struck, down the middle shots can end up vanishing.''

that statement is true for every good links course I know.. and that's what I like about them

Rob Miller

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
'' It’s difficult to criticize the course, but the course is generally uninteresting.  The par fours are tight to the point that even well-struck, down the middle shots can end up vanishing.''

that statement is true for every good links course I know.. and that's what I like about them

Philippe- Have you played the course?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »

Those two courses are penel when missing the fairway.The rough is just too high in my opinion.A lot of lost balls.

Anthony

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »
Would seem that McKenzie & Ebert are working on the Annesley course just now.

""Looking back down proposed 10th fairway at Royal County Down. Annesley Links not the No.1. Imagine it on a clear day!""

""New 10th at Royal County Down (Annesley) 2 weeks after seeding!""

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:37:09 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Emil Weber

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 07:55:23 AM »
 :o

Are they doing more work ?

Looks like a downsized, reverse version of PacDunes' 13th.

Jamie Pyper

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »

Would seem that McKenzie & Ebert are working on the Annesley course just now.

""New 10th at Royal County Down (Annesley) 2 weeks after seeding!""

Brian;
What a change since I was there in July and peaked over at the new work between the third green and the sea. Just two months ago they were clearing gorse and pushing sand. Amazing transformation

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »
Are they doing more work ?

On their twitter feed, there is also some photos of the "new 11th" from the last few weeks.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »
 :o  

Does anyone know if there is extensive work, or just new 10th and 11th holes?

From Mackenzie and Ebert website:
"Royal County Down Golf Club (Major redesign of the Annesley Course including several completely new holes)"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:01:26 PM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
From the photos the Annesley looks a pretty interesting, quirky, firm and fast course. Some of the holes appear to be just the kind of holes where you stand on the tee with visions of birdie and walk off the green to a bag containing several less balls than when you teed off!

Thanks for sharing.

atb

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 05:56:06 PM »
In the old days, this was the Ladies course, before it was named after a former Chief Constable of the Royal Ulster Constabulary of the 1980/90s who rather liked a game of golf.

No-one in NI has ever considered it to be a serious second course like The Valley at RP.

The first president of the club was the 5th Earl of Annesley. The Earl granted the club Royal Patronage in 1908. His grandson Gerald Annesley was club captain in 1976. I'd be quite confident in saying the club's connection to the Earl is the reason why the second course is know as the Annesley course, although I'm not sure when they renamed it; possibly in the 1980s.

Frank Pennink submitted a report to the committed that proposed upgrading the "No. 2 course" in the 1970s. It's not clear if the club ever implemented his proposals as the club was not flush with cash in those days.

The very first OTM course was located on much of the land now occupied by the Annesley links.

I think it looks fabulous (Emil Weber's photo tour):

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53841.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back