News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re: How can you like The Old Course and Muirfield the same?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
There's old saw attributed to Gary Player who supposedly would deem a course "The best golf course of its kind that I've ever seen". But maybe there's a certain truth to that idea. The Old Course could represent a near Platonic Ideal of a certain kind of golf course and Muirfield could be a nigh perfect example of a very different kind. If so, one would have to be very close-minded not to appreciate them both for what they are.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
JM,

Not so sure about that. Audrey Hepburn was not only a cinematographer's dream, but carried around a genius level I.Q. between her ears to go with stunning looks and the grace of a trained ballerina. Kate Hepburn (who I think is actually the most attractive woman who ever lived) did not so much walk as march - always with a sense of purpose. Audrey seamlessly glided through her blocking so smoothly, it looked choreographed on air.  

Greta Garbo was retired by 1941 - so you've got to factor that film in America was still in its adolescent stage. To the best of my knowledge, the only color photos of Garbo were production stills; all of her films were in B&W, which are gorgeous, but largely an apples and oranges comparison.

It does seem odd to me that (as far as I know) Garbo never appeared in a "three strip" Technicolor picture (Wizard of Oz).    
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:01:46 PM by Gib Papazian »

JMEvensky

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
JM,

Not so sure about that. Audrey Hepburn was not only a cinematographer's dream, but carried around a genius level I.Q. between her ears, to go with stunning looks and the grace of a trained ballerina. Kate Hepburn (who I think is actually the most attractive woman who ever lived) did not so much walk as march - always with a sense of purpose. Audrey seamlessly glided through her blocking so smoothly, it looked choreographed on air. 

Greta Garbo was retired by 1941 - so you've got to factor that film in America was still in its adolescent stage. To the best of my knowledge, the only color photos of Garbo were production stills; all of her films were in B&W, which are gorgeous, but largely an apples and oranges comparison.

It does seem odd to me that (as far as I know) Garbo never appeared in a "three strip" Technicolor picture (Wizard of Oz).     

2 a side and AH still may not see the 16th tee ;). GG beats all comers in my book--although I concede you're using a more "professional" definition of attractive than I.

The scarier issue is there are 2 people on a golf architecture website who agree ACO and H&M are both pantheon worthy movies.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
That is not surprising at all. The Treehouse is a collection of strange and unusual people with wildly diverse tastes. For example, my top five albums of all time defy any sort of pattern. Same with golf courses. I tend to love quirk - true enough - but being nearly equally in love with NGLA and County Down is certainly evidence of a lengthy spectrum of appreciation.

In no particular order:

Wake of the Flood (Grateful Dead)
Selling England By The Pound (Genesis)
Let it Bleed (Stones)
Journey (by Journey, original without that twit Steve Perry)
Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd)
They Only Come Out At Night (Edgar Winter Band)
Turnstiles (Billy Joel) 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »
That is not surprising at all. The Treehouse is a collection of strange and unusual people with wildly diverse tastes. For example, my top five albums of all time defy any sort of pattern. Same with golf courses. I tend to love quirk - true enough - but being nearly equally in love with NGLA and County Down is certainly evidence of a lengthy spectrum of appreciation.

In no particular order:

Wake of the Flood (Grateful Dead)
Selling England By The Pound (Genesis)
Let it Bleed (Stones)
Journey (by Journey, original without that twit Steve Perry)
Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd)
They Only Come Out At Night (Edgar Winter Band)
Turnstiles (Billy Joel) 

But Gib, there is a pattern:  they're all rock and from about an 8-year period (maybe less)?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back