News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dick Kirkpatrick

Re: Hamilton G&CC (Harry S. Colt), Ancaster, ON, Canada - Photo Tour
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
Perhaps realism should prevail here.
How would you return the 15th hole to play to the original green?
Would it be prudent to remove the east nine perhaps?
The 16th hole is a better hole now than it was originally.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
Dick,

We talked about this out on the course there, didn't we?

Theoretically, you could change the 1st on the East nine to restore the original 15th green site. And, whether the 16th is a better hole now is subjective, I guess... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one ;D
jeffmingay.com

Frank M

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
I don't want to thread jack, but who here knows (or knows of) this amateur Albin Choi?  

He's staying with me for the Western Amateur next week at Exmoor - and I'd never heard of him, but he just made the cut at a Tour event, so I'm rooting like crazy for him now!

M
He also just win the Ontario Men's Amateur at Summit with a four score of 8 under. Really good player who plays out of Beacon Hall.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:04:59 PM by Frank Mastroianni »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
I recently played Hamilton and I have the view expressed earlier in this thread that the course is wonderfully routed but could be vastly improved by a bunker restoration. The club hired Mackenzie and Elbert in 2014 to come up with a renovation/restoration plan (there is a news release on the M&E web site). The plan is posted in the clubhouse but I didn’t have time to look at it too closely - I don’t think the work has started yet.

It was recently announced that the Canadian Open will return to the course in 2019 and 2023. It isn’t clear if the changes will be done before next year’s event.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2018, 07:33:41 PM »
Wayne,

The plan was turned down by the membership. Likely it was a financial decision, since the clubhouse renovation turned out to be very expensive. A beautiful building worthy of a major investment.

Even with major work, I don't agree with my former assessment that it could be the best course ...
-

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
Are you sure about that Ian?  My host, who has been a long time member, said that they are going ahead with the renovations. And the plan is posted just inside the entrance of the clubhouse.

Presumably they will be getting more cash from Golf Canada for hosting the Canadian Open again in the future.

Why don’t you agree with your former assessment?  Has your view of the course deteriorated, or have other courses passed it by?  Obviously Cabot Cliffs has got a lot of publicity and is now the superstar in Canada, at least in the rankings.  But Hamilton is great ground for golf and I think the course is well layed out over the ground, at least in my opinion.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
Sorry for the dead photo links - I'll have to try to find a different provider and get them fixed.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »

All dead photo links have been brought back to life.  That said, keep in mind that the photos were taken eight years ago so some may be out of date due to work undertaken at the club since that time.

I did play the course again last year (2017) with David Davis from GCA and took a few photos on the back nine:

10th Tee -

10th Green -

12th Tee -

14th Green -

17th Tee -

18th Fairway -

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »
Thanks for the photos Matt - those photos on 10 show the fairway bunkers on the left that make no sense to me. I wonder if they are original, and if they were in the fairway at one time.

These new photos show one other thing - Hamilton may be the last private club in Canada to have a traditional caddie program with young kids servings as caddies.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back