News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

2 new tees at Oakmont for the 2010 Open...
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:30:34 AM »
but it's not what you're thinking. This year the women are coming to Oakmont, so they didn't stretch out the course.

But, according to an article in Friday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, they added new tees on #2 and #17, both shortish par 4s, to allow the option of an enticing drivable par 4.

Kinda interesting to hear, will let you know how it looks when I see it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

Re: 2 new tees at Oakmont for the 2010 Open...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
George:

The women should only play a place like Oakmont with rough no more than 2-3 inches in depth and the fairways playing no less than 40 yards across.

Add any more rough or narrow the fairways too much then the reality of low scores will go right out the window.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
Matt, again according to the PG (one of the nation's finest - whoops - worst papers), they are keeping the setup the same as for the men, except for the length - same fairway width, same rough, same green speed.

I'll believe that when I see it...

Are you coming out?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
Are you coming out?

Now that's funny.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
George:

No plans at this time -- but as you know I am a mega fan of Oakmont -- too bad a US Open can't return there sooner.

The women can only successfully play Oakmont if it's set-up as Oakmont-lite.

Curious to know how far they will play the 8th hole for the women -- I see no reason why 245 yards can't be the number there -- at least for one or two of the days.

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
George,

I'll probably need to check out that tee on 17 after I get my brains bashed in for the previous 16 holes. 

I see no reason why Oakmont can't play the same for the women and just accept what the scores will be.  And from what I hear, they are statistically just as likely to hit a fairway as the men are, so what's the big deal about the rough?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 05:05:28 PM »
George, it's been a long time since I last played Oakmont so don't recall, but aren't there forward tees on those holes already for the member ladies?  Or are these tees going in front of those?

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
Bill, there are forward tees.  The forward tee on #2 was used by the USGA for the men a couple of days (its actually one large teeing area).  I doubt many women other than Laura Davies or Michelle Wie could even consider going for the green from there.  I think they wanted one that would tempt more of them.  If the put it to the right where it would give them the opening to shoot up it could be interesting.

I'll be there to see it as I'm officiating there in July.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
I thought the top women were more accurate than the top men.
They should have no problem hitting fairways.
Getting up & down is the hard part.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Mark Studer

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
Hi John and George- We built the new forward tees in the fall of '08. Front left on #2, maybe 40-50 yards short of the existing shortest tee for the '07 Open. Short of the existing #17 by 20 yards on the same line.  John , the new tee on #2 is far left of the rest of the teeing ground and you do not notice it when you play # 2 from the existing tee.   In 1991 we built 2 new forward tees for the 1992 Women's Open, both #15 and #18 are a par 5 for lady member play so they just moved the competitors up(by about 35 yards each) for the championship week and made them both par 4's(same for  men) and then dug them both up on tuesday after the playoff.  When we built the longer tees for the championship markers in the fall of '01(lenthened the back by ~250 yards) we also built new forward tees on # 3, #4, #5, #7, and #11. These current forward tees give the USGA setup committee many options depending on weather , wind , and desired variety for this year's women's championship. See you in July.  -Mark
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »
George:

The women should only play a place like Oakmont with rough no more than 2-3 inches in depth and the fairways playing no less than 40 yards across.

Add any more rough or narrow the fairways too much then the reality of low scores will go right out the window.

Greens will be softer, but other than that, yes the set up will ver the same.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
error
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back