GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

timeline for Willie Dunn, Jr.

<< < (10/10)

TEPaul:
I want answers, man...."

Joe:

Do not forget, Hugh Wilson in that chapter he wrote in 1915-16 for P&O's book about the evolution of Merion that he not only mentioned the help and advice he and his committee received from Macdonald and Whigam but he also mentioned the help and advice he had received from certain unnamed local golf clubs and course committees who had been involved previous to his work on Merion beginning in 1911. For some strange reason that has virtually never been mentioned by anyone I'm aware of on here.  :)

Tom MacWood:

--- Quote from: Joe Bausch on February 22, 2010, 02:55:03 PM ---
In the 2nd paragraph Evans states that Dunn laid out the Shinnecock Hills golf course, which I believe is well documented.  The real head-scratcher is that Evans in the last paragraph says "Willie Dunn had laid out over 900 courses, among them being the Merion course, where the last national championship was played".  For those of you still new to the early US Amateur history, it was Evans that won this tourney at Merion (where both the East and West course were used for the qualifying rounds).

--- End quote ---

I believe the general consensus today is Willie Davis laid out Shinnecock, not Dunn. I seriously doubt Willie Dunn laid out 90 course much less 900 courses.

Mike Cirba:
Tom,

The likely local candidates based on my understanding of history would include Messrs. Smith, Heebner, Meehan, and Bispham.

Ab Smith had been revamping Huntingdon Valley for a number of years trying to turn it into a championship type course.   Heebner's Whitemarsh Valley was the "longest" course in the area and thus used for championships with greens that were very well-regarded, Meehan was a grass expert, and Bispham had done alterations at Philly Country Club (perhaps to Travis's plans) and was known as well as a good grass guy who had some really good greens too.

I think it was a bit too early for Tilly's work at Aronimink with George Klauder...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version