News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

The Question “Is The Standard Declining” repeat question from the 10.03.1914

Just a thought and if we removed the advance in technology over the last 20 years could the same be said today? 

Page 1 & 2

Melvyn

Mike Cirba

Melvyn,

It sounds a bit as though Vardon was still smarting at his loss to Ouimet, perhaps?

Mark_Rowlinson

I am beginning to appreciate the surviving cross-bunkers on my home course. Because of where they are placed they are of no concern to the good player, but to me as my game (and length) declines they are deliciously placed. Can I get my second shot past them or do I lay up (on what are to you drive-and-pitch par 4s)? Sometimes it's nice to have hazards just for the old men.

Interestingly, Vardon gave advice to Markes when the latter was laying out Sandy Lodge. Some of the cross-bunkers have been taken out but a number survive. Markes was, it seems, in favour of the Haskell ball, yet he clearly enjoyed the challenge of cross-bunkers. He arranged a very well-covered (in the press) match at Sandy Lodge involving leading professionals who took it in turns to play Haskell or guttie balls. The Haskells won, but it was an interesting exercise.

BCrosby

Odd.

Vardon blames the decline in play on architecture. He specifically blames the "revulsion of feeling that set in seven years ago" over the cross bunker. The article was written in 1914. What happened in 1907 that made people suddenly disdain the cross bunker?

Bob

Tom_Doak

All older athletes become convinced that the standard of play was much better in their day.  The architecture of baseball stadiums or hockey rinks does not provide as convenient an excuse as to why, though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back