News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

Re: MacKenzie Bags....let em see your pics....
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »
Bag at California Golf Club, 2 green.

Philly Cricket Club...Mark Thawley and Author James Finegan (Mark was an early gca.com discussion group participant and works alongside Kyle Phillips)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »
Unfortunately this is the only picture I have handy.  It is at Delamere Forest in England.  Got whupped up pretty good by the club champ.  I used a trolly but the bag should only be carried.  I have had it for about 10 years.  i suspect it will outlive me.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Josh Smith

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »
I finally found a photo of my own bag.  I kept finding good photos of friends bags.  This is what your room looks like if you live AT the California Golf Club. 

These bags are like fine wine....I still have and use the first one I ever got some 17 years ago.  Someday I will scan in the photo from Christmas morning.  Unless you are Sean Tully and play with aged "inferior equiptment" made out of wood, you will surely replace your clubs before you ever need to replace your bag.  Lifetime guarantee.

Maybe Ran, Ben CD, Sean Tully etc can post photos of theirs.

BCrosby

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »
I've been sick for the last couple of weeks so I guess I missed out on this new bag fad. What is a MacKenzie bag and why is it important that I buy one? If I buy one will people, finally, think I'm a cool guy?

Bob

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
I've been sick for the last couple of weeks so I guess I missed out on this new bag fad. What is a MacKenzie bag and why is it important that I buy one? If I buy one will people, finally, think I'm a cool guy?

Bob

bob
sorry u will never be cool.  But you can still hang around me and play wingman
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Josh Smith

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 09:42:03 AM »

It is a leather walking golf bag, originally designed by Peter Jacobsen.  It is handmade in Portland Oregon.  Guaranteed for life.

Bob,

First time I played at Cypress (and I am a nobody), the head pro Casey Reamer walked out to the parking lot as we were getting out of the car...he helps us with our clubs, pulling them out of the trunk.  As he lifts my 17 year old faded red leather MacKenzie bag he says something to the effect..." Now this is a Cypress Point Bag "       Not sure if he thought I was cool or not, but I definitely felt cool for those few minutes. 

Where else does the Head Pro get your bag out of your trunk...Honest question, any other clubs do this?

Bill Rocco

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
Bob,

You are a member of GCA....how much cooler could one want to be.

BCrosby

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
Thanks guys. I feel better already about not having one of the bags. And to think, MY will let me fly wingman. Can't ask for more than that.

Bob

Brent Hutto

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »

Bob

bob
sorry u will never be cool.  But you can still hang around me and play wingman

Just don't touch the bag, Bob. You're not cool enough. Never touch the bag!

BCrosby

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
Agreed Brent. I know when I am out of my league.

Bob

JC Urbina

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »
I am curious about the origination of the Mackenzie Bag.

I have a old leather golf bag made by Macmonies of Portland Oregon.  It is almost the same style exactly.  It has stamped on the brass plate Hand Made Portland Oregon.  Could someone tell me what if anything is stamped on the new Mackenzie Bags?

I am curious if the bags have any links?

I save my bag for special occasions.    

Bart Bradley

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »

It is a leather walking golf bag, originally designed by Peter Jacobsen.  It is handmade in Portland Oregon.  Guaranteed for life.

Bob,

First time I played at Cypress (and I am a nobody), the head pro Casey Reamer walked out to the parking lot as we were getting out of the car...he helps us with our clubs, pulling them out of the trunk.  As he lifts my 17 year old faded red leather MacKenzie bag he says something to the effect..." Now this is a Cypress Point Bag "       Not sure if he thought I was cool or not, but I definitely felt cool for those few minutes. 

Where else does the Head Pro get your bag out of your trunk...Honest question, any other clubs do this?

Josh:

The director of golf, Chip King, at Grandfather is quick to pitch in with all golf staff duties...including club duty.  I think it fosters a wonderful team/family environment among the staff....which is a perfect fit for our family oriented club.

Bart

hick

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 11:59:26 AM »
JC, go to the website and go to the gallery and hit more photos and you can see the bags up close. They do have a plate just below the handle. they are nice bags to say the least.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
nice bags but I can't get them to stand up on my Clubcar ! 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Rob Rigg

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 03:33:29 AM »
Here are a few (low res) pics from our trip to Bandon - I don't have one of the Sunday Bag we presented to Mr Keiser and the resort as part of The Walking Golfer of the Year Award - yet - but I just downloaded these.

I am totally stoked with the Argyle bag - we are going to sell 10 Limited Edition Argyle Bags to raise money for The Children's Course and The First Tee.

The first is #4 at PD - The fog in the distance rolled in for our approach shots and hung out for the rest of the round.

The second is #8 at PD.

The third is #13 at PD.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »

Bob
There are a couple of companies that sell these high end leather bags, like MacKenzie and McKennon, and their products are as similar as two peas in a pod. If you're someone who already has a big heart and can afford it, buy away, but I think it's also really 'cool' to buy one of the very good Sunday bags that are available for $50.00 or so and use all or part of the $700.00 savings to buy your local high school team seven new bags, or spend the savings on some other worthwhile endeavor.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tony Weiler

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »

Bob
There are a couple of companies that sell these high end leather bags, like MacKenzie and McKennon, and their products are as similar as two peas in a pod. If you're someone who already has a big heart and can afford it, buy away, but I think it's also really 'cool' to buy one of the very good Sunday bags that are available for $50.00 or so and use all or part of the $700.00 savings to buy your local high school team seven new bags, or spend the savings on some other worthwhile endeavor.

+1

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »
Anyone who carries a MacKenzie Bag can bite me.  They's posers.  Real golfers tote the $39 Ping Moon bag. 

Mike Young, you can kiss Hillbilly Tour membership good-bye. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
$700 for a golf bag?  Sorry, that ain't my cup o' tea.  There are bags that cost $35 that work just as well and are lighter.

Come on Shivas, just bill another hour one afternoon!  Better yet, you and Solow talk to each other on the phone and each get one!

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike_Young

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
Anyone who carries a MacKenzie Bag can bite me.  They's posers.  Real golfers tote the $39 Ping Moon bag. 

Mike Young, you can kiss Hillbilly Tour membership good-bye. 

Bogey

Look dude...you know how hard it is when you are as good looking as you are me to get in with a bunch of nerds...well the bag helps a bunch....and womens love it....

Sean Leary

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
Rob,

How do they work playing in wet Oregon? Does the wet ground ruin them?

I am a 1 strap fan myself and love these bags but at that price and playing most of my golf in Seattle, it doesn't make sense.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 01:53:39 PM »
Hi Sean,

The leather holds up really well in the rain - you just wipe the bag off afterwards and let it dry out in your garage. It will look just like it did before you took it out after a few hours. I have not had any problems with my Walker and it has been out a bunch of times in the rain.

A lot of people ask what happens to the bag when it gets wet - the same thing that happens to a cow - it gets wet and then it gets dry.  :)

If it is nasty out - I tend to use my Llama which is a two pocket ballistic nylon bag with leather accents that is the same silhouette as the Walker but quite a bit less expensive ($250 with shipping). The ballistic nylon beads water off more obviously and it is a bit easier to wipe down if it gets muddy.

I totally understand what some of the guys are saying about cost, etc. An $800 golf bag is not for everyone, for some people it just doesn't make sense whether they can afford one or not - to each his own.

Just like the other guys who posted their photos, I love my Walker and Sunday bag - I would rather play older clubs and spend $800 on a leather golf bag that will last forever than spend $50 on a sunday bag and $1500 on a new set of irons and woods that will probably be replaced in a couple of seasons.

Feel free to PM or email me if you want any more info.

Mike_Young

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
Rob,

I am a 1 strap fan myself and love these bags but at that price and playing most of my golf in Seattle, it doesn't make sense.

Sean,
The bag isn't that much of a problem but when my leather pants get wet they shrink and the last few holes become an issue....

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
My £12k Honda Jazz gets me from A to B as would a hand made Aston Martin for £100k+.

There will always be a market for bespoke suits & hand made shoes just as there will be a market for the quality bags that MacKenzie produce.
Cave Nil Vino

Carl Nichols

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 04:03:20 PM »
Rob,

Sean,
The bag isn't that much of a problem but when my leather pants get wet they shrink and the last few holes become an issue....

That's why they invented chaps.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back