News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: MacKenzie Bags....let em see your pics....
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:56:42 AM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
Reposting this beauty of Wayne's

As proof that a Mackenzie Walker is the GCA Golf Bag:

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »
today I was playing through a foursome at Pumpkin Ridge, they were in carts and all 4 had monogramed MacKenzie bags. I said "you fellas have too nice of bags to be riding in carts"..they agreed and said they were walking the back 9
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

BHoover

« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
Bump. Can anyone tell me how the ballistic nylon Mackenzie Walker compares to an ultralight stand bag such as the Ping 4 Series?  I'm thinking of asking my wife for one as a Xmas gift, but I want to know how it compares in terms of weight.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
Tonight when I'm in front of a computer I will break this down.

Chris Oldham

« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Bump. Can anyone tell me how the ballistic nylon Mackenzie Walker compares to an ultralight stand bag such as the Ping 4 Series?  I'm thinking of asking my wife for one as a Xmas gift, but I want to know how it compares in terms of weight.

Odd that this should pop up today.  I just bought a used Ping 4Under as a back up bag for my ballistic MacKenzie Walker and it seems to me that the Walker is just a bit lighter.  I walked my first round with the Ping on Sunday and it was strange having the dual straps - I had gotten so used to the single strap, it felt strange walking with it.  I think I like the Walker better as my daily carry bag.

Paul Carey

« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
i love my ballistic walker.  Great balance and really easy to carry.  I do find that it is a bit harder on my back picking it off the ground when I am out of shape.  I had been carrying the lightest stand bag I could find but the ballistic walker is much easier to carry.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »
I have a ballistic walker and endorse it 100%.  The caddies at my club and many places don't like it because it does not have a stand.

I heard there is an OEM stand, can anyone tell me how to find and buy one?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »

I've had my ballistic for 2 years now, about 3 months ago I went to it as my full time bag. It's simple but great. I'm not someone who carries much in their bag and there's a decent amount of room with 2 pockets. I also got the water bottle holder on mine. The only time I miss a stand is on muddy days. About a month ago I bought a 4 Series Ping to have on bad weather days. I carried it around for 1 day before returning it, I never even took it on the course, just walking from my car to the range I didn't like the way it felt. I have never met anyone who didn't love their Mackenzie. I will also say that I've had several people with Jones bags tell me they are jealous of my bag.

PCCraig

« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
I've had my Walker for two seasons now and I can say they are easily the best golf bags made today. The leather on mine needs a little buffing/polishing and there is a loose stitch/string inside of the bag, but otherwise it's held up extremely well. The bag itself is light and carries perfectly.
H.P.S.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »

I also got the water bottle holder on mine.

Sam, What does the water bottle holder look like?

Eric Smith

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »

I heard there is an OEM stand, can anyone tell me how to find and buy one?

I believe the stands are made by Tim Alpaugh. Google him (and Claret Dreams).

Lou_Duran

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »
I scratch my head when I hear all the whining about Fazio budgets and the exorbitant cost of golf in America at the same time we extol the virtues of a $750 piece of leather to hold our clubs.  I must say, I was really drawn to the Dismal River MacK bag in the pro shop, but my inquiry was rebuffed by none other than the Owner who pointed out that it was not available for sale to guests.  As they say, membership has its privileges.  

Paul Jones

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:17:02 AM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
I scratch my head when I hear all the whining about Fazio budgets and the exorbitant cost of golf in America at the same time we extol the virtues of a $750 piece of leather to hold our clubs.

Making golf courses more affordable allows more people to play more golf, which shouldn't prevent those with means from enjoying their $750 bags. There is zero connection between these two things.

Paul Jones

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »
I wish the MacKenzie would add a stand - even if just for the ballistic.  I had surgery on my arm a little over a year ago and it will start hurting when having to reach down and pull the bag up.  Also, I don't always travel with my bad since a lot of caddies don't like them since it does not have a stand.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Lou_Duran

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
I scratch my head when I hear all the whining about Fazio budgets and the exorbitant cost of golf in America at the same time we extol the virtues of a $750 piece of leather to hold our clubs.

Making golf courses more affordable allows more people to play more golf, which shouldn't prevent those with means from enjoying their $750 bags. There is zero connection between these two things.

Really?  And how does the existence of a Dallas National or a Shadow Creek prevent more people from playing golf?  Are you suggesting that only Fazio designs golf courses and only John McDonald and Steve Wynn develops them?  The problem with building affordable courses in much of the country is that the consumer seems to be unwilling to pay the green fee that is required to make them viable (reference the golf is in the pizza business thread/Ron Whitten GD article).

I am all for individuals and companies making stuff that other folks want.  I like extraordinary things like Dallas National, Shadow Creek, and MacK bags.  And I would be the last person to try to stop anyone from spending his money on something he wants.  I just find it ironic that on a site where many crap on a luxury brand such as Fazio, there is so much love for an ultra-expensive item that does comparatively little to further the enjoyment of the game, other than, of course, the image and status the bag projects.  Of course, I could be way off base.  

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
on a luxury brand such as Fazio

Perhaps where we disagree is the definition of "luxury"...

Greg Clark

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
Does anyone here have, or have seen, their waxed cotton bag?  It looks intriguing from pictures.  I'm wondering how it holds up and how it compares to the leather and the ballistic nylon.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
After giving my MacKenzie Walker its biannual cleaning and conditioning I notice that the plastic rib that keeps the bag streched out had popped out. It seems the cloth sheath that holds it in place had ripped and even duct tape couldn't effect a repair. True to their word Thom had me ship it back and they are repairing it for free, as advertised.

While it's in the shop I have resorted to my Titleist stand bag; gosh I hope the MacKenzie arrives soon! I found that:

I don't need four different pockets to separate my irons; one for woods and one for irons is ideal

I don't need 6-8 different pockets to carry stuff, two are just fine

I hate the double strap arrangement, putting the left strap on is such a pain

The stand is awkward, nothing like just laying that baby on the ground

Since it's leather you can lay it down on wet grass with no harm to the bag or its holder

You do have to keep the suede on the strap from getting in contact with the wet ground however; a very small price to pay

Amortized over my golfing life I think I got a downright bargain!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Harshbarger

« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
If your road bike is worth more than your car, you are true cyclist, they say.

There is nothing wrong, and much good with spending money on luxuries that *you* value.  Even if $1,000 isn't a rounding error in your net worth, it's ok to invest in luxuries that reflect your values.  The MacKenzie bags fall squarely in that category, a luxury that I couldn't fault any true golf lover investing in.  *Especially* the one(s) changing out of the trunk of their beater.

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Andy Treen

« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »

It's not a MacKenzie.... I can't afford one.  But here's my Jones bag.

- Andy
First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

Sam Morrow

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »

I also got the water bottle holder on mine.

Sam, What does the water bottle holder look like?

It's just a little pocket hanging off the side, it looks small but it can hold a good sized bottle.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
Amortized over my golfing life I think I got a downright bargain!

I think it was Michael Whitaker who shared his friend's communication warning us of the insidious defense mechanism known as projection.

Another of the Great Oldies is rationalization.

Proof that golf is a Big World can be found at Secession Golf Club where one can find a large variety of travel and carry bags strewn all over the porch surrounding its wonderfully understated clubhouse.  Yes, MacK had a very large presence, as did Sun Mountain (Swift X my personal choice when not being borrowed by my son), Ping, Titleist, etc.

Amazing how my bag, which set me back considerably less than the price of a single round at many CA daily fees, still holds my clubs comfortably, off the ground, and will likely last longer than my swing.  All without the need of an amortization schedule (and self delusion).  ;)    

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
Timex, Rolex?  Who cares, blah, blah, blah.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back