News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

GORING & STREATLEY New
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:52:58 AM »
I should have known the day was going to be conspicuous when Goring & Stanley GC flashed across the Tom Tom screen. Nevermind, we pressed on to this fairly old club originally designed by Tom Dunn nestled in a rather upmarket area of Berkshire. Although, with the piecemeal purchasing of several plots of land, I believe the course has undergone many major changes since 1895 and bears little resemblance to Dunn's creation.  The website proudly boasts G&S is a downland course.  For sure the course runs up and down quite steep hills overlooking the Thames Valley, but the turf in no way resembles a downland course.  That said, G&S drains fairly well.  With that short introduction its on to the course. 

The first bodes well for the day for there looks to be plenty of room off the tee to hammer a slightly downhill drive to a green slightly to the right.  I spose in summer this may be a drivable green, but in the cold chill of late November it would take a mighty blow.  G&S continues to impress on the second.  The hole turns left and starts to climb the hill on which most of the course rests.

As you can see from the steepness of the hill behind the green, one wants to keep his ball below the hole because the putt coming back down the green is very severe. 

This extra hole serves as the 9th while construction work is carried out and a very good hole it is.  It acts as a welcome link to the 3rd which helps to reduce the trugery of the uphill walk.  I am surprised the club doesn't find a way to use this hole all the time.  There is certainly no shortage of mundane holes south of the B4009 which could be replaced.   

#3 continues the rather severe climb up the hill.   The climbing isn't for naught as we are rewarded with a very good blind approach to a green benched into the hill.

Despite these holes being good, the continuous climb can wear on the golfer.  #4 is another good one-shotter.

We are finally at the top of the hill for the next eight holes.  Unfortunately, all the characterful land we get on #s 1-4 and 14-18 is missing and we are left with holes which are for the most part mundane. 

The best hole on this side of the road is par 3 12th.  The green's size is hidden by the front bunkers.  Why the club has planted all these huge evergreens around the course is a mystery to me.  I don't see what they add in terms of strategy or aesthetics.  It is detail like this, the narrow fairways and many bunkers stranded sometimes 25 yards away in the rough which detract from what could be a much better course.

The 13th takes the cake!  It is a 330 yard hole legging hard right with one of the most prescribed tee shots I have ever seen.  I couldn't wait to stop at the halfway hut and try to forget one of the worst stretches of holes I have ever come across.  With a somewhat clear head and the lovely prospect of the finishing stretch, we headed for #14.  The thought never occurred to me that this 290ish yarder could be driven.  It doesn't look that downhill, but try stopping the ball!  The gorse out to the right is perfectly placed for the guy flat belly who comes off his drive.

#15 is a wild par 5 edging along the hill which #14 eases down.  One must hit a hard fade into the hill to hold the "fairway".  The second turns left and heads uphill.  With the 16th tee nearly dead on line for those going for the green in two, I elected to play a shot which wouldn't kill anyone.  While the 15th was probably a bit too much in the thrill department, #16 is excellent.  In fact, the highlight of the course are the par 3s.  I spose this is often the case on hilly terrain.  The hole is some 190 yards, but plays more like 140 yards.

The craziness is not over!  The penultimate hole has to be one of the wildest I have ever seen.  The drive seems innocent enough out to a flat expanse.  However, the second to this par 5 trundles downhill at a grade most ski resorts would envy. 

In a truly Machiavellian manner, the putting surface is reversely benched into the hill!  I have never seen anything like this.  The green is so narrow the goal must be to go long in two, or three and then chip back.  No matter what you do, don't leave a shot short.  For this reason, and it really is nasty, I like the rough breaking the fairway.   

Zowie!

Relative to the 17th, the final hole seems merely pedestrian.

I couldn't figure out what this thing was from the tee.  I reckon it must be a Stanley Scarecrow.

The final shot - phew.

Goring & Streatley is a hard course to evaluate.  There are great thrills to be had and some dreadfully boring holes which nobody should have to endure.  In the final analysis, with Temple and especially Huntercombe nearby, I couldn't recommend one drive any distance to play G&S. However, if you are in the area and really want to see the 17th, by all means walks up the hill and have a look, this is a sight that must be seen.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:25:34 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt Day

Re: GORING & STREATLEY
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:41:41 AM »
the fairway widths look like they have a Toro 6700D fairway mower and do one run  ???

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:22:10 AM »
Sean,
I would second not going out of your way to play G&S.
The holes that really pissed me off were the 14th and 17th.
I played a few years back in fast and firm conditions and no matter how close you hit it to the gorse on the right of 14 it would roll all the way down into the rough on the left, leaving you with a stance with the ball way above your feet.
17 is just goofy, I heard of quite a few people who have driven through the green in the summer, though it does seem that they have grown some rough across the fairway.
I had a half wedge for my second shot into a rock hard green and no surprise ended through the back. Perhaps this is why they made it a 3 shotter.
I wonder how many members they lose going up the hill?

Richard

Steve Wilson

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:43:05 AM »
Re; The 17th at G & S

Paging Tom Paul.  Years ago, in the infancy of this site, he posited the creation of what he described as a 'playback' hole for which the appropriate, nay survival, strategy would be to play long or face an impossible approach.  His proposal was for a drivable par 4, but given Richard Muldoon's testimony that he has known of people to drive the 17th at G & S, I think this hole might be a double qualifier.  An ace here would be a triple eagle?  Is there another species so designated in GB,  perhaps a condor? 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
A 1 on a 5 is indeed a Condor. I only played G&S once, its knickname was boring and beastley. Not sure I would wanna play it in again with a cart, in a scramble and with lots of beer.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back