News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Sherwood Forest Golf Club, Nottinghamshire
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
Sherwood Forest is part of a very good triumvirate of courses to the north of Nottingham, the others being Notts GC (Hollinwell) and Coxmoor, while Lindrick is also a little further north. I’ve played the others now on many occasions but this was my first trip to Sherwood Forest, and I have to say I was very impressed.

The club was formed in 1895, playing golf over farmers fields at Ravensdale, but by 1910 with over 100 members, the club started to look for a new home. Land owned by the 6th Duke of Portland was offered for lease and the offer was accepted, with the club adopting the name of Sherwood Forest. Harry Colt designed the original course, but by 1925 with the land now in the clubs ownership, they decided to appoint James Braid to redesign the layout, including the building of 11 new holes. Today’s course is pretty much as it was after Braid’s redesign apart from some tweaking of bunkers and the addition of (only) 54 yards. Also, the course was mainly heathland at its outset, but is now a mix of heathland and woodland. Interestingly, the history in the clubs course guide refers to “Mr H S Colt of Sunningdale” in the manner of someone relatively unknown, but then mentions “the renowned James Braid”. We really need to do more to educate people in this country of the history of golf course design!

Sherwood Forest’s main points of interest are that, along with Notts, Coxmoor and Lindrick, they take it in turns to host the Regional Qualifying for the Open Championship. Also, the clubs professional, Ken Hall has acted as both the professional and the clubs secretary for most of his time at the club, dating back to 1985.

Here’s the photos I took when I played back at the end of September, and again yardages are from the yellow tees most likely to be played by visitors.

Hole 1
Par 4
318 yards
Its an innocuous looking start, but your drive does have to clear a valley of gorse so no room for a topped one here. The hole feels like it plays slightly uphill.

Anyone trying to hit a drive up close to the green from the tee, will have to beware of bunkers 50 and 30 yards short of the green, while the green itself is protected by bunkers short right and on the left hand side. The green is also 37 yards deep which for a short iron approach is pretty big, so distance control on your approach is important to avoid 3 putt territory.

Hole 2
Par 4
379 yards
A slight dog leg from left to right and plenty of bunkers in the landing area

Again there are bunkers right and left, and a the boundary fence lined with silver birch is up the right hand side

Hole 3
Par 4
346 yards
A blind drive over the hill, to a fairway that slopesd away from you down to cross bunkers running diagonally across the fairway between 50 and 100 yards from the green. With the hole being blind, a long iron off the tee should keep you from running too far down the hill to the cross bunkers but still leave a short iron approach. Here’s the blind drive

This is the approach, still a down hill shot to a green that slopes from left to right

Hole 4
Par 3
156 yards
This par 3 returns you to the clubhouse, to a green sitting across the valley crossed off the first tee. The green is angled front right to back left, so you need a little more club to a back left hole, but there is plenty of room over the back, even if its not the easiest chip from there.

Here’s the view looking back from the next tee, with the next fairway off to the left

Hole 5
Par 5
487 yards
The tee on the 5th is again in front of the clubhouse. The drive is again over a heather filled valley, to a plateau fairway, unless you can rip one 250 plus to get down into the next valley, where there are bunkers left and right, the right one is just visible from the tee.

A layup is fairly straightforward, but there are a nest of bunkers 30 to 60 yards short of the green to catch out anyone going for the green in two.

Here’s the green as seen from just past the 3 bunkers

Hole 6
Par 4
374 yards
The bunkers at Sherwood Forest are virtually all being renovated at the moment and they have used this as an opportunity to move some (which probably explains the deal on the course guides in the proshop). There are now two bunkers up the right hand side here on the 6th, which very slightly plays from right to left. From the back tee which makes the hole 425 yards they are approx 280 yards away, but from the forward tee, they may only be about 210 or so yards out but they do funnel your drive somewhat.

Here’s the new bunkers

And this is the approach to the green, across a service road, with a ring of mounds to the rear and bunkers to the left to stop you running onto the 15th green to the left.

Hole 7
Par 3
114 yards
A short hole that also plays slightly downhill, but to a very narrow green that’s almost 40 yards long and with bunkers left and right. The green slopes from front to back. As it’s a small target there is a relief green off to the left which you can see.

A closer look at the green

Hole 8
Par 5
475 yards
This can be stretched to 550 yards off the back tee, but plays as a short par 5 from the yellows. The drive is level and to a narrow fairway guarded by a lone bunker up the right. A lay up is down into a valley, with the green sitting up high on the far side

Looking back from behind the green

Hole 9
Par 4
453 yards
A tough test to finish the front nine. The drive is blind to a downhill sloping fairway, but the fairway also runs at a slight angle from left to right, so anything too far left of the marker post will run into trouble

The second is over a strip of rough and bunkers about 50 yards short that rises up slightly. This causes the green beyond to seem closer than it really is and when you get there the green slopes away from you

A closer look at the green from short left

So the front nine has played as 3,102 yards, par 36. Hopefully you have a decent card going, or are maybe a couple of holes up, because it only gets harder from here!

Back nine to follow...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

Re: Sherwood Forest Golf Club, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
Hole 10
Par 3
160 yards
The back nine holes starts with a nice little par 3. The green is surrounded by bunkers but its not too long a hole and the green slopes from back to front so is receptive to your approach shot

Looking back from behind the green

Hole 11
Par 4
439 yards
“This is where the fun begins!”
The 11th is the first of 4 par 4s in a row that are over 400 yards. This one will generally play wind behind and is slightly downhill but at 440 odd yards its still a real challenge. The hole is a slight dog leg to the right so a faded tee shot is useful to stop your drive running out of fairway.

Here’s the approach. You can see the bunkers some 40 or 70 yards short of the green, that will catch any miss hit approach shot.

Hole 12
Par 4
404 yards
The 11th green and 12th tee are at the furthest point from the clubhouse, so we now turn back and head for home. The main problem with this is that its pretty much into the prevailing wind all the way! Here is the blind drive on the 12th which requires a long drawn tee shot as it dog legs to the left slightly, unless you hit your tee shot very tight to the trees on the left?

Again, there is plenty of trouble short of the green, with a slightly downhill approach

Hole 13
Par 4
426 yards
Another slight draw is required with your tee shot here, and again its into the prevailing wind.

In comparison to some of the holes, this one is fairly level, but again it’s a long approach to a green, with trouble from 80 yards in

Hole 14
Par 4
410 yards
And yet another dog leg to the left requiring a long drawn drive. It is a little repetitive, but it certainly challenges your game and your mental strength! This time the drive is down into a valley and there is a bunker up the left hand side which is to be avoided.

The approach is uphill to a green which is actually quite small in comparison to some of the others. So its no surprise to find this is Stroke Index 1.

Heres a view from just short right of the green

Hole 15
Par 3
173 yards
The yellow tees for this par 3 are from one side of the previous green while the whites are from the other, giving two different angles of approach. This is the view from the yellows

Hole 16
Par 5
482 yards
The drive is fairly level on this short par 5, but your second will be aided by being downhill, so it will be within range for some. The hole also doglegs to the right a little, so if you can hug the bunkers on the right off the tee, it will shorten the approach a little

Here’s the approach from next to the last fairway bunker, before the ground starts falling away

This is the view from the layup area, showing the various bunkers short of the green. The green itself slopes away from front to back

Hole 17
Par 4
367 yards
Another tough par 4 off the back tees, but a little more forgiving from the yellows. The fairway slopes from left to right and the bunker in the distance is within range from the forward tees.

A slightly downhill approach to a green protected left and right with bunkers

Hole 18
Par 4
337 yards
A very undulating fairway this. Over a valley to a plateau (the same one as on the drive on the 5th hole), or from the front tees, you can carry all this to the next valley to try and leave yourself a short pitch to the green.

A drive into the valley short of the green, leaves an uphill approach shot to a well guarded green

The statue of a stag that sits between the 18th green and the 5th tee, just in front of the clubhouse.

Looking back down the last hole from behind the green, shows the undulating nature a little better. It was at this point that I probably needed a hard hat as a certain Mr Stephens in the group behind drove his ball pin high!  ::)

The back nine is 3,198 yards, par 35 so from the yellow tees that gives a total of  6,300 yards and a par 71, and its no push over. However, from the championship tees it’s an even sterner challenge, especially the closing stretch. From the 11th which is 473 yards downwind par 4, you then turn into the wind and play a stretch of three par 4s of 426, 456 and 444 all into the wind doglegs to the left, a par 3 of 203 yards, then the 16th is played as a long par 4 of 471 yards, rather than a short par 5, and the last 2 holes are both 400 yard plus par 4s. That’s got to be one of the toughest back nines in the country for championship play? All in all its 6,860 yards to a par of 70 but a SSS of 74!

Hope you enjoyed the photos. It’s a worthy neighbour to Hollinwell and well worth a game if you find yourself in the area.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
Great set of pics and descriptions James. Looks pretty spacious, but the rough under the trees looks like the sort that eats balls up quick smart.

Lots of the greens appear to flow seamlessly out of the fairway. I always seem to find that plays havoc with my ability to judge the distance, especially to a front pin. was that the case?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »
James -

Thanks for the very nice pics of what looks to be another classic English course.
I really like the look of the 7th hole.

DT

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »
James,

Great Pix.  Looks very good, particularly the par 3's...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:56:31 AM »
Good website and logo:

http://www.sherwoodforestgolfclub.co.uk/

The only thing missing from the website is a map of the location with directions.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »
Despite never playing it all that well, I enjoyed playing this course back in the late 80's when it was used for the regional qualifying for the Open. I do remember there being a deep chasm across one of the fairways (15th 0r 16th if I remember rightly) due to coal mine tunnels running underneath it collapsing so a good tip is to tred lightly in any hollows. Good course well worth a side trip to play.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »
Here’s the new bunkers

I like them, not too fussy bult into mounds on the edges of the fairways. Nice 8)

Lovely course and I can't  remember ever hearing a thing about it. I like a course that you know gets harder after the turn, by then I'm usually a hopeless case so why not have a real go.

Thanks James
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »
I was amazed at how much these photos reminded me of Lawsonia.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:02:05 PM »
Another charming looking course in the realm. Looks well worth the visit.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
James
Thanks for posting .

I have a visit pencilled in here for next years English Mid-Am .

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
Thanks for sharing James.

SFGC looks interesting.  I usually have an annual visit to Hollinwell.  I'm not sure I'd give that up to play Sherwood Forest but it might be worth a round whilst in the area.

How does Coxmoor compare to Sherwood & Hollinwell?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 01:05:54 PM »
Glad you all liked the pics.

Lots of the greens appear to flow seamlessly out of the fairway. I always seem to find that plays havoc with my ability to judge the distance, especially to a front pin. was that the case?

Scott,
I know what you mean, but I didn't find it too much of a problem at SF, however, I have to admit it was a couple of months ago that I played (taken a while to get round to posting) and the main thing I remember is the hangover I had on the first tee. Thats what you get for keeping up with the Irish and the Scots till the early hours...  8)

http://www.sherwoodforestgolfclub.co.uk/
The only thing missing from the website is a map of the location with directions.

Steve,
Thanks for posting the website. Directions to the course are vital, as you have to go through Mansfield and then find yourself going down a road that feels like its a road to nowhere. If I hadn't checked it out on Google maps, I'd never have found it!

Despite never playing it all that well, I enjoyed playing this course back in the late 80's when it was used for the regional qualifying for the Open. I do remember there being a deep chasm across one of the fairways (15th 0r 16th if I remember rightly) due to coal mine tunnels running underneath it collapsing so a good tip is to tred lightly in any hollows. Good course well worth a side trip to play.

Jon,
I think there was a hollow in front of the 17th tee? I seem to recall mining subsidence has also been a problem at Notts, and that way back the National Coal Board used to give money in compensation.

SFGC looks interesting.  I usually have an annual visit to Hollinwell.  I'm not sure I'd give that up to play Sherwood Forest but it might be worth a round whilst in the area.

How does Coxmoor compare to Sherwood & Hollinwell?

Andrew,
Its certainly worth a game at SF while in the area. Also, I like Coxmoor but prefer Hollinwell and SF. I've seen some people give a 10 game split, which seems a good idea, so I'd go Hollinwell 6, SF 3, Coxmoor 1. Maybe, but I do love Hollinwell!  ;D

Cheers,

James

Sean_A

Re: Sherwood Forest Golf Club, Nottinghamshire New
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
Well, I had a game at Sherwood Forest today.  The only thing I can say is Doak was right.  SH is a 3 tops.  I didn't see a decent hole out there and Sherwood must rate as one of the biggest disappointments I have ever come across.  

Right form the get go, it is obvious Boony has his head up his ass.  

I don't quite understand why anyone would stick blind bunkers on the diagonal for the the unsuspecting golfer.

No, the shaping on the short 4th hold no interest what so ever.

What?  Is the left a Braid green and the right a Colt green?

Despite a completely forgettable front 9, I decided to drag myself round the back 9.

Finally, we make a turn for home and get to play some proper golf into the teeth of gale.  Mind you, those four ball busters weren't so bad.  We get to play the 16th more or less with the wind helping.

The last two predictably take us back home - how boring.

Yes, this course is most definitely a Doak 3.  Not a single hole is worth talking about, yet somehow, I wanna like this course.  Hang on - I do like this course!  Maybe most of my comments were a bit harsh, but I will say that none are nearly as harsh as Doak giving this course a 3.  He must have walked it at night because if Sherwood Forest isn't every bit as good as, well let see, Boat of Garten, Little Aston or Worplesdon, then something is seriously amiss with my eyes.  For me, Sherwood Forest is just a nip below 1* status and I may yet consider it in such lofty heights after I play a much anticipated game in the summer. In the meantime, if you folks are near Nottingham/Worksop and can't get on Notts, give Sherwood Forest a ring.  The course may just turn out to be one of those great surprises in life.

Boony - thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

BTW - for those who think I am being harsh - not to worry.  I am taking the piss out of Doak's 3 rating, not Boony.

Ciao

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:35:24 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 05:48:47 AM »
Sean,

I probably did have my head up my arse, I was pretty hungover when I teed off!

You photos from yesterday, certainly dont look as appealing as those I took back in September, which is odd as I usually find heathland type courses fine in the autumn and winter.

Sherwood Forest certianly is an odd one. Looking back on it to write this thread, I was amazed at how similar a lot of it was:
Long par 4, check
Dogleg, check
Bunkers right and left about 50 yards short, check
More bunkers right and left at the green, check
And I played the back nine wind behind rather than the prvailing into the wind! Maybe that coloured my judgement  ;D Yes, I can see why Tom Doak doesn't rate it much, but somehow I still really enjoyed it, and it looks like it won you over also?

I'm sure you have explained this before on here, but I'm still pretty new, so can you explain your * ratings? I keep meaning to ask when I read your reviews.

Cheers,

James

Sean_A

Re: Sherwood Forest Golf Club, Nottinghamshire New
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 06:18:46 AM »
Sean,

I probably did have my head up my arse, I was pretty hungover when I teed off!

You photos from yesterday, certainly dont look as appealing as those I took back in September, which is odd as I usually find heathland type courses fine in the autumn and winter.

Sherwood Forest certianly is an odd one. Looking back on it to write this thread, I was amazed at how similar a lot of it was:
Long par 4, check
Dogleg, check
Bunkers right and left about 50 yards short, check
More bunkers right and left at the green, check
And I played the back nine wind behind rather than the prvailing into the wind! Maybe that coloured my judgement  ;D Yes, I can see why Tom Doak doesn't rate it much, but somehow I still really enjoyed it, and it looks like it won you over also?

I'm sure you have explained this before on here, but I'm still pretty new, so can you explain your * ratings? I keep meaning to ask when I read your reviews.

Cheers,

James

James

I was mightily impressed with the course.  Yes, there was some predictable bunkering, but Sherwood is very similar to St Georges Hill in that it is generally very wide so the bunkers could easily be accomodated without the player ever feeling crowded.  And yes, there aren't really any outstanding holes (as Doak mentions)), but the course is far better than it parts.  None of the holes are in the least weak and there are many sorts of different shots available to hit. 

I was most impressed with the fairways.  After all the rain we had this month they were as if no rain fell at all.  Of course, this makes me wonder what happened to the greens as they were spongey, but I could see they would be keen in summer and for the many front to back greens - this would make the course tricky to handle.  My only other gripe about Sherwood was the playing back home into low sun.  I had a chat wih some members and they said in the winter months or summer evenings one hopes for a cloudy day.  I know that on several holes once the ebat back from 12 starts, the sun was the worst I have ever experienced.  I couldn't see a thing!  If it weren't for this routing issue I would have given the course a thumbs up for 1*.  Its odd as well, of course we have all experienced the sun issue on the odd hole, but coming home yesterday there were four holes like this - a bit too much to dismiss as just winter sun.

Below is the general idea of the Guide with a few examples.

3* = Don't miss for any reason (I have yet to feel this way about a course)

2* = Plan a trip around this course as the centre piece (St Enodoc, Merion)

1* = Worth a significant overnight detour (Cavendish, Sandwich, Pennard,Tobacco Road)

R1 = If in the general vicinity without a game, put on the short list to check out first (Sherwood Forest, U of Michigan)
R2 = A good fall back course if in the area and can't get on one of the best (Perranporth, Littlestone,Shepherd's Hollow)

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:00:42 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Paul_Turner

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 06:48:17 AM »
James
It certainly doesn't look like "mediocrity, heathland style". For some reason  I can't find "Sherwood Forest" in Colt's lists (club name change?).

Sean
The best course on the Open rota only gets a measly 1*?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 07:13:52 AM »
James
It certainly doesn't look like "mediocrity, heathland style". For some reason  I can't find "Sherwood Forest" in Colt's lists (club name change?).

Sean
The best course on the Open rota only gets a measly 1*?

Paul - measely?  I gave TOC a 1* and we can't have another Open course topping it - can we?

Ciao

James Boon

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 07:29:37 AM »

Paul,

I've just dug out the Confidential Guide. I think what i should have said was I can see why someone on a first glance would see it as a Doak 3, but I dont necessarily agree. You cant always get a full appreciation on a first view of a course or a hole. SF just happened to do it for me, but for instance the 7th at Burnham & Berrow was always a hole I hated, till the very fine Sean Arble pointed me in the right direction...

Regarding Colt's involvment... my mentioning Colt is from the history in the course guide / yardage chart. Cornish and Whitten mention it as a Tom Dunn course, with revisions firstly by Tommy Williamson and then by Braid and John R Stutt? I believe the club only adopted the name Sherwood Forest when it moved to its current site, but not sure of a previous name?

Cheers,

James

ps Sean, thanks for clarifying the rating system.

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »

3* = Don't miss for any reason (I have yet to feel this way about a course)

2* = Plan a trip around this course as the centre piece (St Enodoc, Merion)

1* = Worth a significant overnight detour (Cavendish, Sandwich, Pennard,Tobacco Road)

R1 = If in the general vicinity without a game, put on the short list to check out first (Sherwood Forest, U of Michigan)
R2 = A good fall back course if in the area and can't get on one of the best (Perranporth, Littlestone,Shepherd's Hollow)

Ciao

I have to admit to being a bit perplexed by some of those examples. Can I trouble you to post a list of your top level of courses (the 2*, I guess, seeing as you've not yet met a course you'd call a 3*).

Paul_Turner

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »
James

Yes I read the club history and had worked out how the course was changed by Braid, but I've lost the copies!

Sean

Sandwich and TOC in the same category as Cavendish and behind St Enodoc?  The 1* seems too broad in quality to have meaning (to me at least). 

Unless the green fee is a major factor, in which case it makes the rating even more subjective i.e. how spendthrift are you, i have no idea?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »
It certainly doesn't look like "mediocrity, heathland style". For some reason  I can't find "Sherwood Forest" in Colt's lists (club name change?).

Paul,

I've just dug out the Confidential Guide. I think what i should have said was I can see why someone on a first glance would see it as a Doak 3, but I dont necessarily agree. You cant always get a full appreciation on a first view of a course or a hole. SF just happened to do it for me, but for instance the 7th at Burnham & Berrow was always a hole I hated, till the very fine Sean Arble pointed me in the right direction...

Regarding Colt's involvment... my mentioning Colt is from the history in the course guide / yardage chart. Cornish and Whitten mention it as a Tom Dunn course, with revisions firstly by Tommy Williamson and then by Braid and John R Stutt? I believe the club only adopted the name Sherwood Forest when it moved to its current site, but not sure of a previous name?

Cheers,

James

ps Sean, thanks for clarifying the rating system.

James

Yes, that makes more sense these older dudes were involved.  The shaping of the mounding is less polished than the typical Colt course.  I suspect Colt would have inhereted quite a bit which he didn't get rid of.  

Paul

Of course I look at the green fees among other criteria which play a part in a pleasant day out.  Alll of my recos are value based.  If a guy has deep pockets and is willing to dig his hand into them often, he doesn't need any recos - there are plenty of publications out there with the best courses listed which he can consult.  I figure adding in all those elements which make for a lovely day out is no more subjective than deciphering what quakity architecture is.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:10:34 AM by Sean Arble »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »
James,

Thanks for a most enjoyable course profile; it's obvious that you put both time and effort into the project. You provided all the things that make up a complete snapshot of the course for viewers from far away. Here is were you hit a home run in my book:

Shots from both the tee and approach for the long holes

Yardage for the hole; 442 yards tells me much more than "long par 4"

A brief description of the hole playing qualities

A few shots from interesting angles, like behind the green

Good photography; even hungover not a blurry shot in the bunch

Again thanks for the great presentation; gca'ers world wide should take notes!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
I have a copy of the Sherwood Forest centenary book (the club began life as Mansfield Golf Club). Here are extracts about the 1912 move: 
Harry S. Colt ....was called in to advise. He reported:
My opinion is that the soil and natural features of the land are eminently suitable for the construction of a really good golf course.
A report was also submitted by Tom Williamson....Williamson wrote:

I can say without hesitation that it is the best piece of ground, out of many I have seen, and consider its suitability for golf is ideal. The ground is very dry, sandy and undulating, the only drawback being a shortage of good turf for the greens owing to the poverty of the land' but this could be overcome by 'seeding down'. The course, if made, would soon speak for itself. The more I reflect on it the more it convinces me of its suitability and great possibilities.

Work on the new course, under Colt's guidance, was progressing rapidly. J.H. 'George' Vamplew, a greenkeeper from Seacroft, Skegness, who was to become a great servant of the club, played his part and by November was helping to lay the greens. The committee were now hopeful that play would be possible by the end of March 1912....

Due to some misreading of the course plans, the eighteenth green was laid in the wrong place. This left insufficient room to build the clubhouse without encroaching on the 50 yard margin from the Duke's land [6th Duke of Portland] that was agreed in the lease. This was overcome by another example of the Duke's goodwill. Through Thomas Warner Turner he agreed that the club could take an extra piece of land.

Progress on the second nine holes was delayed during 1912 by the failure of the seeds used on the greens to germinate properly. By mid-April 1912, 9 holes were ready for play. The full 18 holes were brought into play during 1914.

It seems that one Frank Mason was the main contractor for the course. He was rewarded with life membership of the club. Here I quote from the centenary book:

Frank Mason may have been the builder, but the question lurking in the mists of time is: who designed the original course? Harry S Colt acted, it would seem, purely in an advisory capacity 'approving the holes as laid out.' One source credits A. Mason, a Nottingham lace designer, with the plans. Certainly Willie fernie, Open Champion of 1883, was taking an interest around this time, for his name appears in the club suggestions book on a matter regarding the layout, and he had been called in by the Duke of Portland in 1900 to produce a course at Welbeck. [That course did not survive the Second World War].

For the record, Braid's redesigned course came into play in 1927 although some new and reshaped bunkers were not completed until 1930. Again, George Vamplew was the main builder. Braid made several visits to the course to confer with Vamplew.

James Boon

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for expanding on the history. You seem to have a good library of club histories  :)

Cheers,

James

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back