News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Watching the Irish Open, and enjoying it immensely.

- Haven’t heard about who set up the course, or about any changes made previous to the tournament. It’s about the golfers in competition.

- Announcers aren’t trying to be know-it-all’s, they just sound like fans of golf who happen to be in the booth

- Advertising breaks seem to be limited, and of a tolerable duration.

- The golf course; Great turf conditions, plenty of opportunity for birdie or double bogey...this is keeping me interested as the leaderboard changes frequently

All in all, a very refreshing broadcast of an entertaining venue and competition. I feel good about golf for the moment.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Thomas Dai

Joe,
Curious to know which broadcasting channel you’ve been watching the Irish Open on and which commentators have been on air?
Atb

Joe Hancock

Thomas,

It was the USA GolfChannel’s Live feed. I am trying to find the commentators names, but one of them had a low, gravely voice with a slight slur as if gin and tonic was in the booth with him.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joe Hancock

Host: Mike Ritz[/size]Play by Play: Dominik HolyerAnalyst: Denis Hutchinson / Tony JohnstoneOn-Course: Jay Townsend / Gary Murphy

astavrides

I thought Hutchinson was pretty bad. Added nothing, kind of annoying. The dude is 86 years old. Time to go. I like Jay Townsend. The rest were just kind of there. Don't know where Warren Humphries and Julian Tutt were. I always enjoy them.
I'd be careful not to mix up a very entertaining tournament and golf course with the quality of the announcing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:56:58 PM by astavrides »

Matthew Rose

Meanwhile, CBS is as bad as it has ever been. I flipped over to the LPGA.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Thomas Dai

Host: Mike RitzPlay by Play: Dominik HolyerAnalyst: Denis Hutchinson / Tony JohnstoneOn-Course: Jay Townsend / Gary Murphy

I recall Jay Townsend playing on the European Tour. Also Ireland’s Gary Murphy. Denis Hutchinson, from South Africa, has been commentating for years and before that played tour events. Tony Johnstone, Zimbabwe, played the European Tour etc for decades and isn’t just an excellent commentator but is a total hoot, great sense of humour. Check out TJ’s Busheacking videos on YouTube.
Atb

astavrides

I love CBS. Except when Macatee subs for Nantz. Can't listen to Macatee. I never missed a telecast back when they had Feherty and the Yanni music.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:31:08 AM by astavrides »

jeffwarne

Watching the Irish Open, and enjoying it immensely.

- Haven’t heard about who set up the course, or about any changes made previous to the tournament. It’s about the golfers in competitio

- The golf course; Great turf conditions, plenty of opportunity for birdie or double bogey...this is keeping me interested as the leaderboard changes frequently

All in all, a very refreshing broadcast of an entertaining venue and competition. I feel good about golf for the moment.

+1
though I got a little nervous when they mentioned there were 52 Maintenance crew for the week (mostly volunteer for the week as is common)
and that "that's what is required for championship conditions"

I'd say their secret is that they do LESS.

Anecdotally I played Northwest GC just down the road three weeks ago at 8 am.
Saw one crew member around the third hole who was doing what appeared to be taking measurements.
Around 10:00 as we were finsihing the 12th hole I saw another crew member waiting to mow the 12th green we had just played. I hadn't noticed the greens weren't been mown to that point-they were perfect.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Rose

I love CBS. Except when Macatee subs for Nantz. Can't listen to Macatee. I never missed a telecast back when they had Feherty and the Yanni music.

80s and 90s were the heydey for me. When Summerall and Venturi were still around, Nantz was there but not the center of attention, and McCord was more restrained then. I actually think McCord is good when he's not trying too hard (which admittedly is most of the time). I also really liked the music they had around that time.

One thing I don't miss is Brent Musberger in Butler Cabin though. I'll take "hello friends" over "You are loooking LIIIIIIVE on CEEBEEESSSSS". I do kinda miss the old NFL Today though.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

astavrides

I do kinda miss the old NFL Today though.

Phyllis George (later Jayne Kennedy) would do a hard-hitting interview.
Jimmy the Greek might give one of the teams that all-important check mark in the 'intangibles' category.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:14:01 AM by astavrides »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back