News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Defining the Redan
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
There has been much discussion on this board about the definition and history of the Redan.  Charles Blair Macdonald's tilted plane, etc, etc.  The history is well known.

Recently a friend sent me the most succinct definition I have seen to date:

From the Mayan Palace yardage book:

“Many golfers have heard of the Redan Hole, which was made famous by the original Redan, the 15th at historic North Berwick in Scotland. It is a concept that has inspired countless par-3 holes around the world, and in its simplest terms, means a hole that is protected on three sides.”

This is a Jack Nicklaus II course in Mexico.  It's possible the definition suffers a bit in the translation from the original Mayan.   ;D

Comments?

Mark Pearce

Re: Defining the Redan
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »
I think the 17th at Sawgrass is protected on 3 sides.  Is it a Redan?  The 16th at Crail Balcomie is protected on 3 sides but not a fourth (the right).  Is it a Redan?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
Bill,
Too simple.

The best definition I've heard is take a table, turn it 45 degrees and tilt it towards the back. A redan is a v-shaped fortification and I assume an early infantryman who saw the hole at N Berwick recognized the similarity. I doubt if bunkers on 3 sides are essential. The redan at Annapolis GC has them filled in and the wall face on the left is fearsome enough.

Nuff said.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
I don't think the Redan can be defined with one, two or three elements.  Its a very complex set features which come together to make the hole what it is.  Perhaps this is why there are very few, if any, true copies of the hole.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:20:42 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

Does it have to be a par 3?

Anthony

Brian Phillips

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
Craig,

I had a huge discussion with The Emperor many years ago about that hole at Shinnecock being a Redan.  To me it is not a Redan because you can see the surface of the green.  The tee is above the green surface and therefore can be attacked easier than the original redan which is built like a fortress with the green above the tee and the green surface blind.

No real redan can be seen from above....now that is a fact. I don't care how many people copy it and call it whatever they want but if you can see the green surface for starters it fails...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »
Bill,

CBM said: "Take a narrow tableland, tilt it a little from right to left, dig a deep bunker on the front side, approach it diagonally, and you have a Redan."

How much better can you get than that?  That basic idea has generated one of the most fun type of holes ever found on a golf cours.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brian Phillips

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »
Craig,

One major point though.  The original tee for that hole would make it a redan though as the tee is lower and to the left of the tee in your picture.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
I'm with Brian on this one.
The simplest definition of The Redan is the 15th at North Berwick.

When I played it for the first time (2007?) it looked like no other hole I'd played before.
And I'd seen shinecock, ngla, chicago, shore acres....

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
As soon as you limit yourself to one element, like the blindness of the green, you have no easy references going forward and you raise that one element way out of proportion to the others.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
............and here was me thinking that the whole point of the redan was to get to the hole you landed your ball short right and let gravity take its course.

Niall

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »

“Many golfers have heard of the Redan Hole, which was made famous by the original Redan, the 15th at historic North Berwick in Scotland. It is a concept that has inspired countless par-3 holes around the world, and in its simplest terms, means a hole that is protected on three sides.”

That is freakin' brilliant!

I think the 17th at Sawgrass is protected on 3 sides.  Is it a Redan?  The 16th at Crail Balcomie is protected on 3 sides but not a fourth (the right).  Is it a Redan?

Because it is protected the fourth side as well the 17th at Sawgrass must be a Redan Plus.  Or a Redando Magnifico in Latin. 

I don't think the Redan can be defined with one. two or three elements.  Its a very complex set features which come together to make the hole what it is.  Perhaps this is why there are very few, if any, true copies of the hole. 

Ciao

Sean, I am glad you chimed in here because I felt like we had hijacked that other thread so I stopped posting.   I'll gladly hijack one of Bill McBride's threads because he probably has it coming anyway. 

There is a hole called "The Redan" at North Berwick and it is famous and I have heard it is great, and it was used liberally in America as an example of a great golf hole.   But those who have studied the hole have abstracted from the actual hole a number of principles, concepts, and characteristics that they believe make the hole great.  (Or, more likely, they already understood that these principles, concepts, and characteristics could make a hole great and were using the hole at North Berwick as an example to convey that information to an audience who had not been exposed to great golf design. 

The brilliance of applying abstract principles instead of trying to physically reproduce a certain expression of those principles, is that, while a reproduction will necessarily fail as different from the original as a result of the different setting, the application of the abstract principles has a chance of succeeding in a variety of settings and circumstances, whether they end up the same as at NB or not.   

And this I think is what you are missing.    You say you realize that CBM and others were not trying to build replicas of NB's Redan, but then you condemn these holes for being called "Redans" when they fall short as replicas of North Berwick's Redan.   But the abstract "redan concept" (as CBM and HJW sometimes called it)  has applications in "infinite variations" on any course.  The word "redan" was not a "homage" to NB's Redan, but a word representing the abstractions which underlie it.   

Another way to look at it is that N.B.'s Redan is just another unique expression of the strategic concepts which exist as abstractions separate from that tangible hole.   (For example Mackenzie writes of designing a hole with very similar strategic concepts before he ever saw or studied NB's Redan.)  The application of these Redan concepts is called creating a Redan Hole, and these are called the redan concepts because NB's hole called the Redan was a famous, a terrific hole, and the one CBM and others used to express the concepts underlying its greatness. 

An example of how the concepts underlying something tangible can be applied in a very different situations with different results, yet the name can remain the same:   North Berwick's Redan Hole.   As I am sure you know it was reportedly named after a great Russian-held fortress at Sebastovol during the Crimean War, a fort that was eventually taken by the British and French but only after a year's fighting and at great loss of life.  Here is a rendering of part of the interior of the Redan, copies of which are for sale at www.altair.co.uk/printspre1900pg4.html:

And here is the description and attribution: 
Interior of the Great Redan. A view of a portion of the interior. The Redan and was shaped with flanking parapets extending from each extremity. Each side was 225 ft. in length, and mounted nine 68 pounders, there was also one 68 pounder in the angle, and five in each of the flanking parapets, in all 29 guns. The exterior parapets was averaged from 30 to 35 ft. in width along the entire front, and was from 8 to 10 ft. in height, and was formed of sandbags, gabions, fascines, new trees and poles tied together in bundles. The lines in the background show the trenches and approaches of the allies. Engraved by H. Bibby from a photograph by Robertson of Constantinople. London Printing and Publishing Company 1856. Steel engraving, sheet size measuring approximately 10.5 x 7 inches. £25

Not much like NB's Redan, is it?  Sure there are some similarities - for examples, the location on top of a plateau and the 8 to 10 foot parapets extending out to protect the fortress.   But would you argue that North Berwick's "Redan" shouldn't be called a "Redan," because it is not an accurate copy?  To name just a few differences, it is not the same size as the original, the original sits up much higher, and of course their are the 29 canons for protection. 

For that matter, the famous Redan at Sebastovol wasn't really technically a Redan either, because the term described only a particular type of escarpment in a fortress, not an entire fortress.   So should we quit calling it the Redan?  ( I think that the military definition of the term is useful to understanding the essence of the greatness of the concepts, but that is beside the point.)

Or closer to Golf, how about the CAPE HOLES.   The original was "called the Cape Hole because the green extends out into the sea with which it is surrounded upon three sides. It is today one of the most individual holes in existence and there is probably not another like it anywhere." (CBM, 1914)   But almost immediately the meaning changed to also refer to holes without water on three sides, where their was no "cape" at all.   Sand substituted, or other types of trouble.   And soon after its creation the original "Cape Hole" lost its "cape" but kept its name, and eventually the term "cape hole" came to be associated with the condition of the drive and not the condition of the green.   Like the Redan Hole, a combination of a number of different strategic characteristics underlied the greatness of the hole, and it has been the strategic characteristics that have been carried forward with the name, not the exact specifications of the original.   

Bottom line is that with golf holes their are no Protected Designation of Origin rules like with wine.   And at least with regard to the old holes, designers are free to use the underlying ideas and concepts however they like, and even to use the names of the originals to explain the concepts.   I'd argue that this was very positive and necessary at the time these holes were being built, because the common reference point "the Redan" was an effective means of conveying abstract concepts that are crucial to quality golf.   For you to claim that they weren't really building Redans inaccurately describes their method and purpose, and used the term in an inconsistent manner from the way they used it themselves.   It is not for to define for them what a Redan was.  It is up to us to learn what they meant by the term. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »
Had they been fighting in Argentina instead of the Crimea, the good soldier may have dubbed the hole "Mesa" when he got home.

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »
Jim

Thats clearly not a redan, you can see the putting surface from the tee for goodness sake !

Niall

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
Craig,

Beautiful picture of the Redan at Annaoplis.

Anthony,

In my opinion, if you say Redan, you are describing a very specific type of par 3, one with a pronounced right-to-left tilt.

If you say reverse-Redan, the green tilts left to right.

If it is a par 4 or 5, it has a redan-style green complex.

This old picture at North Berwick has been posted before, but for the newbies:

And two of my favorites from Sevastopol:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:55:24 PM by Bill Brightly »

DMoriarty

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »
Bill,

I think I see the flag in the second photo. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »

That is freakin' brilliant!

Because it is protected the fourth side as well the 17th at Sawgrass must be a Redan Plus.  Or a Redando Magnifico in Latin. 

I don't think the Redan can be defined with one. two or three elements.  Its a very complex set features which come together to make the hole what it is.  Perhaps this is why there are very few, if any, true copies of the hole. 

Ciao

Sean, I am glad you chimed in here because I felt like we had hijacked that other thread so I stopped posting.   I'll gladly hijack one of Bill McBride's threads because he probably has it coming anyway. 

There is a hole called "The Redan" at North Berwick and it is famous and I have heard it is great, and it was used liberally in America as an example of a great golf hole.   But those who have studied the hole have abstracted from the actual hole a number of principles, concepts, and characteristics that they believe make the hole great.  (Or, more likely, they already understood that these principles, concepts, and characteristics could make a hole great and were using the hole at North Berwick as an example to convey that information to an audience who had not been exposed to great golf design. 

The brilliance of applying abstract principles instead of trying to physically reproduce a certain expression of those principles, is that, while a reproduction will necessarily fail as different from the original as a result of the different setting, the application of the abstract principles has a chance of succeeding in a variety of settings and circumstances, whether they end up the same as at NB or not.   

And this I think is what you are missing.    You say you realize that CBM and others were not trying to build replicas of NB's Redan, but then you condemn these holes for being called "Redans" when they fall short as replicas of North Berwick's Redan.   But the abstract "redan concept" (as CBM and HJW sometimes called it)  has applications in "infinite variations" on any course.  The word "redan" was not a "homage" to NB's Redan, but a word representing the abstractions which underlie it.   

Another way to look at it is that N.B.'s Redan is just another unique expression of the strategic concepts which exist as abstractions separate from that tangible hole.   (For example Mackenzie writes of designing a hole with very similar strategic concepts before he ever saw or studied NB's Redan.)  The application of these Redan concepts is called creating a Redan Hole, and these are called the redan concepts because NB's hole called the Redan was a famous, a terrific hole, and the one CBM and others used to express the concepts underlying its greatness. 

An example of how the concepts underlying something tangible can be applied in a very different situations with different results, yet the name can remain the same:   North Berwick's Redan Hole.   As I am sure you know it was reportedly named after a great Russian-held fortress at Sebastovol during the Crimean War, a fort that was eventually taken by the British and French but only after a year's fighting and at great loss of life.  Here is a rendering of part of the interior of the Redan, copies of which are for sale at www.altair.co.uk/printspre1900pg4.html:

And here is the description and attribution: 
Interior of the Great Redan. A view of a portion of the interior. The Redan and was shaped with flanking parapets extending from each extremity. Each side was 225 ft. in length, and mounted nine 68 pounders, there was also one 68 pounder in the angle, and five in each of the flanking parapets, in all 29 guns. The exterior parapets was averaged from 30 to 35 ft. in width along the entire front, and was from 8 to 10 ft. in height, and was formed of sandbags, gabions, fascines, new trees and poles tied together in bundles. The lines in the background show the trenches and approaches of the allies. Engraved by H. Bibby from a photograph by Robertson of Constantinople. London Printing and Publishing Company 1856. Steel engraving, sheet size measuring approximately 10.5 x 7 inches. £25

Not much like NB's Redan, is it?  Sure there are some similarities - for examples, the location on top of a plateau and the 8 to 10 foot parapets extending out to protect the fortress.   But would you argue that North Berwick's "Redan" shouldn't be called a "Redan," because it is not an accurate copy?  To name just a few differences, it is not the same size as the original, the original sits up much higher, and of course their are the 29 canons for protection. 

For that matter, the famous Redan at Sebastovol wasn't really technically a Redan either, because the term described only a particular type of escarpment in a fortress, not an entire fortress.   So should we quit calling it the Redan?  ( I think that the military definition of the term is useful to understanding the essence of the greatness of the concepts, but that is beside the point.)

Or closer to Golf, how about the CAPE HOLES.   The original was "called the Cape Hole because the green extends out into the sea with which it is surrounded upon three sides. It is today one of the most individual holes in existence and there is probably not another like it anywhere." (CBM, 1914)   But almost immediately the meaning changed to also refer to holes without water on three sides, where their was no "cape" at all.   Sand substituted, or other types of trouble.   And soon after its creation the original "Cape Hole" lost its "cape" but kept its name, and eventually the term "cape hole" came to be associated with the condition of the drive and not the condition of the green.   Like the Redan Hole, a combination of a number of different strategic characteristics underlied the greatness of the hole, and it has been the strategic characteristics that have been carried forward with the name, not the exact specifications of the original.   

Bottom line is that with golf holes their are no Protected Designation of Origin rules like with wine.   And at least with regard to the old holes, designers are free to use the underlying ideas and concepts however they like, and even to use the names of the originals to explain the concepts.   I'd argue that this was very positive and necessary at the time these holes were being built, because the common reference point "the Redan" was an effective means of conveying abstract concepts that are crucial to quality golf.   For you to claim that they weren't really building Redans inaccurately describes their method and purpose, and used the term in an inconsistent manner from the way they used it themselves.   It is not for to define for them what a Redan was.  It is up to us to learn what they meant by the term. 

David

Believe me, I understand the homage aspect of the using the name Redan, but a tilted green does not a Redan make. The hole is far more complicated than that.  Getting the tilt is only one element of many pieces which make up the Redan.  So calling a tilted green a Redan is like calling sparkling wine from California champagne.  You can do it, but guys like me aren't buying it.  However, I don't feel like arguing about this anymore so I humbly capitulate.  You can freely call any hole with a tilt to the green a Redan and buy your champagne made in California. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

DMoriarty

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »
Believe me, I understand the homage aspect of the using the name Redan, but a tilted green does not a Redan make. The hole is far more complicated than that.  Getting the tilt is only one element of many pieces which make up the Redan.  So calling a tilted green a Redan is like calling sparkling wine from California champagne.  You can do it, but guys like me aren't buying it.  However, I don't feel like arguing about this anymore so I humbly capitulate.  You can freely call any hole with a tilt to the green a Redan and buy your champagne made in California. 

Ciao 

Sean,  It is not a homage.   Redan meant something different than that exact hole.  The reason I am bothering discussing it is that with historical research we cannot substitute our modern understandings for their understandings.   To them, a Redan meant something different than it does for you.   

As for Champagne or sparkling wine, I am not a big fan but my wife is and she prefers the former and I have to admit that when drinking Champagne I do too.   The same isn't necessarily true with wine, though.   Many of the non-French wines are equal or superior to their French counterparts, even if they cannot use the same appellation name .   Wine makers have taken good ideas and similar ingredients and applied it elsewhere with great success.   Is it an exact replica?  It can't be because the grapes came from somewhere else.  But I don't care if it is as good or better.  The French will always have their semantics and snob appeal, and their products will always be great, but it sure doesn't have to have the French appellation to be great.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »
I think you all are taking yourselves way too seriously.

To me it was pretty obvious that the quote from the Mayan Palace yardage guide is quite humorous on it ownself and is worthy of little more than a wink and a nudge.  That was certainly the intent of my post.  I should have included an array of smilies:  ;D ;) ??? ::) :P

Oh well, it's always good to see a dissertation from Dr. Moriarity!

Brian Phillips

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 02:59:59 AM »
............and here was me thinking that the whole point of the redan was to get to the hole you landed your ball short right and let gravity take its course.

Niall
You have not played the Redan at North Berwick then have you.   ;)

Brian Phillips

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:03:04 AM »
Jim

Thats clearly not a redan, you can see the putting surface from the tee for goodness sake !

Niall
No you can't.  You can see the ramp leading up to the green surface but you cannot see the green surface.  By the way that could be a reverse redan but the green is facing towards us so it doesn't count.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 03:17:19 AM »
The Redan is a fortress that can really only be attacked from behind (but you have to play from the tee) otherwise you need to be a 'canny' golfer to get par there.  I lived in Scotland for a year and we played the course at least once a month and I only ever saw 1 or 2 birdies there.  Even if you hit the green you are often so far from the flag you are praying for a 2 putt.

That is the pure beauty of the Redan.  It just is not that simple to play it.  If you land the ball too short it sticks and does not roll down to the hole.  If you hit with too much draw it can roll all the way off the green.

The huge gaping bunker in the front is very important as well as it makes those who think of fading a ball in from the left, think again!  There are also two large pot bunkers short of the green that players hoping to hit a low running shot must contend with.

There are three bunkers just past the green but short in length for the player that might push the shot that also protect from another failed shot.

And then you have the wind...

The Redan is a fortress and it plays like one.  There are not many fortresses in the world that were ever built below an area of possible attack.

Even when the hole was a par 4 the angle was pretty much the same as today from the landing area.  It must have been a superb short par 4.  The closer you got to the green with your first shot the more difficult the pitch due to the raised ground.  Depending on what angle you played from in the landing area would determine so many options for the player.

Niall C

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 02:53:08 PM »
Jim

Niall
No you can't.  You can see the ramp leading up to the green surface but you cannot see the green surface.  By the way that could be a reverse redan but the green is facing towards us so it doesn't count.

smartarse

Brian Phillips

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
 ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back