News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: Your Best 36 Hole day
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »

Gentlemen,

When talking of golf it is Monterey not Monterrey, the former is in California the latter in Mexico.

Bob

Jud_T

« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
Kingsley/Crystal Downs can hold it's own with just about any Daily Double...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »
We did Brookline and Boston Golf Club last week. I'll put their one/two punch of the Fernando and the Shipwreck up against almost any other combo.  ;D

Absolutely.  A great 1-2 rum punch!

Andy Treen

« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Had the Shipwreck still waiting for the Fernando.

- Andy
First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
Sunrise golf here:

Sunset golf, 1200 miles away here:

Grant Saunders

« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
Mark

Great pic of Arrowtown.

Hopefully you get a chance sometime to share your thoughts and some more pictures of the course.

BCowan

« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
playing Mid Pines in the morning in a tournament then getting invited by a playing partner to play #2!  36 holes and temp was 110 and walked both rounds!  Car broke down on the way to #2 and Church group helped me with a way to get the car to Pinehurst and #2!  The Summer of 98'!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »

Looking back, I would add NGLA and Shinnecock.

Bob

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
36 holes at Piping Rock and Garden City with Mr Mucci was pretty neat.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
St. Georges and Southampton was pretty sweet.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
I have had the good fortune to play many of the aforementioned 36-hole combinations, and would not want to pick a single favorite.  However, maybe the best weekend I've ever done was on behalf of two of my interns -- pardon if I've told this story once before, but it's not on this thread.

When we were building the North course at Stonewall, I told my two interns (Kyle Franz and Philippe Binette) that I would take them up to Long Island for the weekend and show them some golf.  I had only arranged to play 18 holes -- the point was to let them walk and see the courses.  But we did all bring our clubs.

We started at Garden City first thing Saturday morning, pulling into the maintenance building.  I'd intended to walk the course, but the superintendent INSISTED we play ... he was about to get fired and knew it might be controversial to send three visitors off #10, but he didn't care at that point.  So, the boys got to play Garden City.

When we were done we drove out to Friar's Head so we could walk it.  Jim Kidd was still the pro, and I didn't want to ask him to play because I knew he could get in trouble for sending us out without a member.  But it was raining by then and there were no members out, so he invited us to play if we wanted -- so we played 18 holes in the rain there, too.  Pretty good double, GCGC and Friar's Head.

Next morning, we are on the tee at Shinnecock, to play our one scheduled round, with a member friend of mine.  The boys thought that was the best course they had ever played, so, I told them we'd go look at one other -- National.  I go into the pro shop and ask if we can walk the course -- fine.  And then when we're on the second fairway, the caddiemaster comes out and invites us to play, as long as we'll take caddies.  He had a couple of guys who hadn't got loops and it was the end of the day. 

I don't know what my best 36-hole day is, but I'm pretty sure I know what are Kyle and Philippe's.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I would have to think that the best 36 day was Jordan Speith this year. Pine Valley AM/ Augusta PM.....

I had the fortune of playing Pine Valley very early in the morning and then NGLA late in the afternoon. It was quite a long day but one I will never forget

Matthew Rose

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »
Nothing that interesting compared to everyone else's, but some of my more memorable ones:

1. Treetops in Michigan - played Fazio in the rain, then it cleared up and we did the Smith course in the afternoon.... during the second 18 I made my first hole-in-one on #8 on the Smith course and met Rick himself later that day and had him sign the scorecard.

2. Grand Cypress North/South and then the New, on a particularly memorable family vacation.

3. Walked 18 twice at the Janesville (WI) Country Club when I was 15 years old, having only just gained access to it through my high school golf team. I got up at 7 am and had my dad drop me off on the way to work, then I played 36 in about 5-6 hours and got done around 12:30-1:00. Then I walked home, and nearly passed out from heat exhaustion at the end of it. But it was worth it.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
I recently did the double at Streamsong and that was a blast. 

Plus any 36 hole day at Bandon is pretty hard to beat too...

archie_struthers

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
 8) 8) 8)

In no order

Friars Head- Shinnecock
Merion- Pine Valley
Castlestuart- Portrush

45 at Sand Hills

Wow....very lucky for me ,

James Brown

« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2014, 08:27:09 PM »
Hands down would be Sunningdale New and Old for me.  Best golf club in the world. 

Runners up would be: 
St. Andrews Jubilee and Old Course
Pebble Beach twice
UNM South Course twice
Ballybunion Old and Cashen

Mickey Boland

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
Crail Balcomie in the morning and The Old Course in the afternoon.  Did not have a guaranteed time at TOC but just hung around and talked to the starter and wound up getting the last time off of the day.  Finished in the gloaming. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
Another great day was playing 54 with Bruce at Dismal.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »
I played Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes in one day.

I played Olympic Club-lake course and Pasatiempo.

But I really look forward to playing Dismal -Red and White- with my dad at the 5th Major..

Just might top the first 2.

Jud_T

« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
Upon further reflection:

Kingsley/Crystal Downs
Pac Dunes/Old Mac
Lost Dunes/Lost Dunes (as the only golfer on the property)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

RJ_Daley

« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
I've done the double day at Sand Hills, and that was a pinnacle for me. 

I have great anticipation my best 36 hole day will be in a few weeks when I take on Barnbougle Dunes in the morning, and Lost Farm in the afternoon.  Playing at the near antipode of the earth will certainly add to the excitement.   8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

BCowan

« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:17 PM »
My best 36er this year was playing Washtenaw CC in the morning and playing Battle Creek CC in the Afternoon followed by dinner at Arcadia Brewery in BC!

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2014, 03:13:38 AM »
It's cheating a little bit but I have two days, and one of them was a 54 hole day.

The first will be one of the first times I ever walked 36, at Old Greenwood in Lake Tahoe, a surprisingly good Nicklaus course.

The other was this summer, playing 54 holes at Pinehurst #2, Dormie Club, and Southern Pines on the same day.

Both of those days I remember looking out over the course and the majestic view beyond, and in those moments, I've realized how much this game has given me. I'll never forget those moments.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

William_G

« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
Fishers and Yale

best 72 hole day is Trails, Bandon, Old Mac, and Pacific at the Summer Solstice event  8)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:34:21 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Will Lozier

« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »
Fishers and Yale

best 72 hole day is Trails, Bandon, Old Mac, and Pacific at the Summer Solstice event  8)

Any double (or triple (or Quadruple!)) at Bandon is world class! One of my favorites (not my best) was Sunningdale Old followed by The Addington.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back