News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Cabot update
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »
Now that's what I call livin' the dream!

Way to go Ran and Ben.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 07:10:48 PM »
bliss
      bliss
             bliss
             bliss
      bliss
bliss

Don Hyslop

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
Waiting for this course to open is like a kid waiting for Christmas. Is it too early to book a tee time? The land that will make up the holes that we have seen photos of so far certainly offer some unique possibilities for shot making!
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »
What a tremendous site - looks fantastic! (and walking only to boot)

What kind of wind speeds do they receive off the Atlantic?

Is it similar to Bandon where you can get anything from 5 mph to 40+ mph?

CL really does have a Scottish feel to it with the town, the "craig" in the distance, the boardwalk and the ocean.

Lucky Canucks!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
My dream- to open up a B&B nearby.  Of course, the reality that I know zip about running a B&B kinda hurts my plan

Rob - Les Suetes winds on Cape Breton can be crazy:
The prevailing wind direction in Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Highlands is westerly, but for a few weeks of the year strong southeast winds, known locally as "Les Suetes," (from the French "sud est") blow across northern Cape Breton's open plateau and then crash down the western side of the mountains. The strongest gusts can reach 200 km/h.
Or check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBxtu4Qk4Ks

BUT DON'T WORRY - THESE DON'T OCCUR ALL YEAR!  The weather was perfect the last time I was up there!

PS - Here's a photo of the Cabot Trail, one of the most beautiful roads I've ever driven:

Courtesy DECLAN MCCULLAGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Another great thing about Cape Breton is the music!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaE7n2fHays
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:14:20 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »
Another great thing about Cape Breton is the music! 
And Canada's only single malt whiskey is only a few miles south of Inverness/Cabot Links.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »
Dan - The You Tube video totally cracked me up - the guy heads down to the harbor when the wind is really whipping because it blows STRONGEST there (200 mph!?!?!?!) and the lady is talking about ketchup and "serviettes" when the suetes blew her house off the foundations. Fantastic stuff - these are the things I miss about living in Canada, the people are a total riot and border line fruit loops. I love it.

Commerce in the maritimes always needs some love and i think it is great that Ran and Ben (and team) are creating another great reason to visit that part of Canada.

chapeau!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »
From the lone shieling of the misty island
Mountains divide us, and the waste of seas -
Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland,
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides

Inscription at the Lone Shieling, Cabot Trail, N.S. 

Seems fitting ...

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
To learn more about the culture of Cape Breton I would highly recommend two books by Alistair MacLeod, who is from Dunvegan which is only a few miles from Inverness.  The books are Island, which is a collection of short stories, and a novel called No Great Mischief.

Greg McMullin

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
Here's an aerial view of Inverness

henrye

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
To learn more about the culture of Cape Breton I would highly recommend two books by Alistair MacLeod, who is from Dunvegan which is only a few miles from Inverness.  The books are Island, which is a collection of short stories, and a novel called No Great Mischief.

Beautifully written books and I agree completely with the recommendation.

Chris Parker

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
I know it's an afterthought, but here are a few photos from my brief visit to the site in September 2008:

"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Cory Brown

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
How long is that boardwalk?  It looks very long from the picture.  What a beautiful setting.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »
I bet you can see it from space...the great boardwalk of cabot!!!
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 04:11:18 AM »
I think I now know why we haven't seen lots of photos or updates on Cabot before this.  There was not much to show.  Bet as the course takes shape we get more info on it. 

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »
As a matter of fact, a lot of work has been accomplished at Cabot Links this year. I was out there with Rod the entire summer. Nearly all 18 holes are roughed in.
jeffmingay.com

Germain Pepin

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
Thanks for the update Ran!  It is very interesting to follow how it progresses. I am planning already to play this course after the opening. The Cabot Trail and the region are also so beautiful to visit.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
Sean/Carl,
The Cape (which was the photo) is a long par four, following the par three that Ran referenced.

Ward,
I asked Rod the other day whether he knew how much earth was moved and his response was “a lot less than any project I have done before”.
We are using fescue grasses throughout, which we found natively all over the site on our first visit.
Rob,
The wind is ever present. Amazingly for me coming from Toronto, how frequently the directions change. In the last week we have northerly, westerly and southerly winds. The westerly winds will prove the most challenging, but are also the least frequent wind we receive. The Les Suetes that Dan references are the most intense, however they are reserved for the winter and won’t be a factor during golf season.

Wayne and Henry’s book recommendations are great ones. I heard Alistair MacLeod read from No Great Mischief in Toronto and have had the good fortune of running into him in Inverness, now that we are neighbours!

Chris, thanks for those photos, which I had not seen. It is amazing to look back on that over a year ago and see how much the sight has transformed.

Here are four more:

This is a drivable par four, which can be seen from the tee, with the fairway roughed shape and the green in the left center.

Although not great from a construction standpoint, I wanted to share this one from last week. The rainbow ends on the tee of the short par three that Ran posted.

Looking across the 245-yar par three, which with its swale in front required full-bore drivers this past weekend.

Finally, here is one of the par three that Ran previously posted with the green rough-in completed. Although this is another lengthy par three, it is plays in the opposite direction of the above hole and therefore will play radically different.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »
Great to see a course like this in Canada, feel free to come to Alberta for your next project!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »
Ryan,

Just go play Blackhawk and Wolf Creek  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
just played 36 at wolf creek back in august, really loved the new nine, and I  live 30 mins closer now that I moved to airdrie so it'll be even easier, as for blackhawk isn't it private? Calgary in particular could use a new high quality public course in my opinion

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »
Ryan,

Glad you enjoyed the new nine at Wolf Creek. There are some exception holes there (I didn't do any work on those 9 holes; was building Sagebrush simultaneously).

Blackhawk is private, but there's always a way to play (or at least see it)!
jeffmingay.com

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
Great to see a course like this in Canada, feel free to come to Alberta for your next project!
Isn't Alberta mising one requirement to have a course like this - an ocean?

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
I didn't say it had to be like cabot links, just something that isn't your average run of the mill real estate development with a course squished in the middle, wolf creek for example, just in the calgary area

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back